advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
question(s) for electric car owners
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 04, 2021 01:52PM
And I'm also wondering how it would apply to owners of plug-in hybrids. I currently have a Prius C with about 150k miles on it so it's a regular hybrid and no option to plug anything in.

Anyway, for the sake of discussion, let's say a vehicle has a range of 150 miles between charges. Is that number based on a single continuous ride? Or if one were to start the day on a full charge and drive say, 50 miles during the day, would there necessarily be 100 left to travel over the course on the next day or two? Does it act similar to a full tank of gas, with depletion only due to use? I realize nothing is exact in something like this. But with my non-commute now, I'm wondering if going all electric would be practical for someone like me. We don't take long journeys, and if we did we would just take my wife's bigger vehicle. But on a normal day for me now, I might drive no more than maybe 30 miles. If I didn't have to 'top-off' with a charge every night, that might be nice. Hell, I might get a week out of a charge if that were the case. On the other hand, if the battery just depletes even if it's not used, I'd have to consider that in determining practicality.

Question 2 is whether recharging with a regular 110 or 120volt outlet is realistic or whether it would require bumping up to a 220 circuit dedicated to the vehicle. I know the biggest issue with that would be time to charge, but I could only foresee charging overnight anyway, so unless it needed more than 8 hours, it would be a non-factor.

I guess the final question is whether I might be better off with a plug-in hybrid. As I understand it, it would use battery power as long as it could and only resort to CE after the battery power is depleted. But please correct me if I'm wrong on that count. I like the idea of the gas engine as a backup just in case, but on the other hand, never having to think about maintenance (oil changes, gas, etc.) is clearly a big benefit to all electric.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: question(s) for electric car owners
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 04, 2021 02:25PM
Chevy Bolt (2017) owner for 4 months now so I can probably answer your questions.

1) Can you count on day to day mileage?

There are a lot of variables here, depending on the car and the weather. For most of them, there is some battery conditioning (read that as heating and cooling) that is done to keep the batteries at a comfy temperature. In the winter, that means heating and in the heat of summer, cooling. So if you are not plugged in over night, you potentially use a bit of energy. You would also use some energy if you precondition the interior of the car. I can "start" the Bolt from my phone and have it toasty warm when I leave. I dont generally do that.

Continuing on this question, most EV users call the range meter the GOM or guess-o-meter. It makes the best prediction it can based on current and recent use, along with temperature. So if yesterday was a super cold day, but today is 10 degrees warmer, my GOM may read 20 miles higher than it did when I parked the car. While it's unnerving to not know exactly, after a month, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect from my car. I needed to do a bit of recalibration in my brain when winter arrived and I started using the heater more. FWIW it's worth, the 2017 Bolt is rated for 238 miles. I can get as much as 300 in summer driving, and it's probably closer to 200 in the winter.

2) I figured out that I really don't need 220v charging at home for my purposes. I do just fine with 120v. During non-ski season, my driving amounted to about 30 miles a week. I could make a charge last a month like that. Once ski season started, I drive 34 miles a day. The 120V charger can recharge about 4 miles per hour. So in 8 hours of charging I can cover that at home. In practice I drive 2 days, then plug in for 16 hours.

When I have taken the car to Reno (65 RT with a lot of uphill on the way back), I will take my car to one of 4 DC Fast chargers around town. I can generally bring the battery back to 80% in 45 minutes, then top off at home (currently I am limiting charging to 90%). One of those stations is generally free after 5 pm.

I did a 1200 mile rally to SoCal in October. It required 4 DCFC charges in each direction. At each stop I just went for a walk, ate, used the bathroom or read a book. Overall the trip took about an hour longer than I would have done in a gas vehicle.

I am super glad that I skipped the hybrid phase and went full electric for this purchase. Used Bolts are super cheap right now, and new ones are also pretty cheap. After a few months of electric, I hate driving my wife's Subie or my Tacoma anymore.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2021 02:34PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 04, 2021 02:27PM
Q1 - yes, works exactly as a tank of gas or your Mac or your iPhone. Full charge is X range. 'Half charge' is roughly half full range.

Q2 - Depending on your daily commute, 110V might give you enough charge for overnight. I only use 110V for my Volt because I generally use less than 20 miles in any day. You basically need to find out the miles/hour charging rate for your vehicle as a function of the voltage connection. That is available for all EVs.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 04, 2021 02:34PM
EV range is variable. The computer tries to estimate based on your recent drives. The estimate also varies with speed, weather, terrain, tires, road surface...you get the idea. If you have a lead foot in a gas car, you'll have the same issue with an EV. If you drive in July in San Diego, don't expect the same performance in Colorado crossing the Rockies in December. Snow tires will eat range compared to summer tires. Heating/cooling the cabin will eat range. Traveling at 85mph vs 45mph will eat range. No matter what, a range display is always an estimate and the estimate is tied to lots of variables.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 04, 2021 02:34PM
1. The battery is not use it or lose it BUT on a Volt the range you see is a guesstimate that will change according to temperature, technique and terrain. If the weather been temperate for a few days my guessometer range when I get in may say 38miles (I have a Gen 1 Volt). But if the temp has dropped to the 30s that day and I put the pedal to the metal like a maniac I may only get 25 miles that day. Likewise, if the weather has warmed a bit and I'm more measured in my driving I may get more than that 38 miles. The Volt does battery management all the time which is why you should ABC - Always Be Charging.

2. If you're driving 30 miles a day you will be fine charging overnight with the 120v charger. That being said, I love having an L2 charger even though I really didn't need it.

3. Given the use you state you'd be fine with the range of a Volt especially a Gen 2 model. You'd rarely use gas. In fact, since you have an ICE vehicle for longer trips, you'd be fine with a full BEV.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 04, 2021 02:36PM
Markintosh
Chevy Bolt (2017) owner for 4 months now so I can probably answer your questions.

1) Can you count on day to day mileage?

There are a lot of variables here, depending on the car and the weather. For most of them, there is some battery conditioning (read that as heating and cooling) that is done to keep the batteries at a comfy temperature. In the winter, that means heating and in the heat of summer, cooling. So if you are not plugged in over night, you potentially use a bit of energy. You would also use some energy if you precondition the interior of the car. I can "start" the Bolt from my phone and have it toasty warm when I leave. I dont generally do that.

Continuing on this question, most EV users call the range meter the GOM or guess-o-meter. It makes the best prediction it can based on current and recent use, along with temperature. So if yesterday was a super cold day, but today is 10 degrees warmer, my GOM may ready 20 miles higher than it did when I parked the car. While it's unnerving to not know exactly, after a month, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect from my car. I needed to do a bit of recalibration in my brain when winter arrived and I started using the heater more. FWIW it's worth, the 2017 Bolt is rated for 238 miles. I can get as much as 300 in summer driving, and it's probably closer to 200 in the winter.

2) I figured out that I really don't need 220v charging at home for my purposes. I do just fine with 120v. During non-ski season, my driving amounted to about 30 miles a week. I could make a charge last a month like that. Once ski season started, I drive 34 miles a day. The 120V charger can recharge about 4 miles per hour. So in 8 hours of charging I can cover that at home. In practice I drive 2 days, then plug in for 16 hours.

When I have taken the car to Reno (65 RT with a lot of uphill on the way back), I will take my car to one of 4 DC Fast chargers around town. I can generally bring the battery back to 80% in 45 minutes, then top off at home (currently I am limiting charging to 90%). One of those stations is generally free after 5 pm.

I did a 1200 mile rally to SoCal in October. It required 4 DCFC charges in each direction. At each stop I just went for a walk, ate, used the bathroom or read a book. Overall the trip took about an hour longer than I would have done in a gas vehicle.

I am super glad that I skipped the hybrid phase and went full electric for this purchase. Used Bolts are super cheap right now, and new ones are also pretty cheap. After a few months of electric, I hate driving my wife's Subie or my Tacoma anymore.

My Bolt got smashed up while parked at Lake Merritt in Oakland by a drunkened driver. I enjoyed it the 6 months that I had it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 04, 2021 02:37PM
....he just crashed....and bolted.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 04, 2021 02:39PM
vision63
My Bolt got smashed up while parked at Lake Merritt in Oakland by a drunkened driver. I enjoyed it the 6 months that I had it.

dang! that stinks!

I miss Lake Merritt. Used to walk to the lake and go for runs when I lived there. Used to be my favorite thing to do on xmas day. As a new yorker it was a unique freedom to be out running in my underwear on a winter's day.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2021 02:40PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 04, 2021 02:46PM
vision63

I'm glad you weren't in it when it got smashed.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 04, 2021 02:54PM
You will get the greatest value of having an all electric car by driving it as much as possible versus a gas or hybrid. To that end, it would make sense to get an L2 charger so that you can run up to your range limit and then quickly recharge to full capacity again.

We have a Prius V and now also a Leaf Plus which is so much more fun that the Prius rarely gets used, unless we need more cargo room. I worry more about the gas going bad in the Prius than I do about the charge on the Leaf.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 04, 2021 03:00PM
Some caution is recommended if you live in one of our cold climes. The heater in an EV and some PHEVs can be a real drag on your range.

Whether or not you get a PHEV or an EV, you're best off if you have a very clear picture of what each is capable of and what each is not capable of…

We have one of each. The EV is a Tesla and the PHEV is a Honda Clarity. The Tesla has a range of about 200 realistic miles. The Honda's EV range is about 45 realistic miles, and its range with the smallish 7 gal gas tank is about 280 miles. In the Honda, the gas engine powers the generator that drives the motor for the wheels. While it's a really quiet car, it can get a little loud when the ICE engages in some uphill instances. This is particularly true if the battery is below about 25% of capacity. However, in most driving, this almost never happens.

Your question about the 120V or 240V charging is important. An EV with an 80kW battery, like a Tesla, will take way longer than 8 hours to reach capacity from a low state on a level 1 or 120V feed. At an average of 5 EV miles of range per hour, you can do the math on how long it will take to fill your battery from any state. With 240V/40A, you can cut that to about 4-5 hours max as its speed is an average of about 22 miles of range - surprisingly much more than twice the rate of a level 1 EVSE. At a supercharger, you'll get fully charged from a low capacity state in about 40 minutes.

We've charged at both (120V and 240V), and while the cost has to be factored in - particularly if you have to replace a panel (we did) and run separate wiring for 240V (this also) the long term savings is there. It helped to have solar installed, so the wiring and the panel upgrade were somewhat subsidized by the 30% tax credit. There's also a cost for the Level 2 EVSE. All told, you could spend up to $2500 for the whole thing, so that does need to be factored in. If you're still on the fence, then an investment might not be worth it. But once you have Level 2 charging at home, you will be much happier with the EV experience.
Date: January 04, 2021 03:05PM
Thanks for the info; it's very helpful.

The whole reason I was even considering it was that there is (or was) a $99/mo. lease deal on a new 2021 Hyundai Ioniq. Less than $1000 down, 36 mo.,10k miles a year. I couldn't have even considered a lease prior to April, as i was putting between 20--25k miles on my car with my daily commute. Now, between Covid and my semi-retirement, its probably going to be less than 10k.

But alas, today is the last day of the that lease deal, and even if it weren't, I've discovered that there's pretty much 0 inventory within 100 miles from me. BUT, with this info, I'll be a little better prepared for when the next great cheap lease deal comes along. Meanwhile, I'm happy with my Prius.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 04, 2021 03:12PM
My brother has a Tesla model S and a fairly long commute (about 40min each way on the freeway). Recharging via 110 was not adequate for him so he had a 220 installed and has been much happier.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 04, 2021 03:38PM
1. It is linear, like gas, but there is some small amount of Vampire Drain, depending on what the car is doing when not driving. Internet connectivity, heater, etc. As others have mentioned, cold weather will lessen range. The "stated" range is from the EPA testing, so it is pretty close comparing different cars. Generally real range will be less than rated, since it is based on very conservative driving.

2. 120V would be fine for 30 miles/day. Generally 120V would get you 2-4 miles per hour of charge.
220V will charge nearly 10 times faster. In most cases it is not expensive to install. Much of this depends on if you have charging stations near your home as a backup. Check here [www.plugshare.com]

Plug-in Hybrid vs battery only usability is more a function of how much range there is on battery only.
Most people enjoy EVs and drive them more than expected. Since you have had your Prius for 150,000 miles, you keep your cars for awhile. There is no substitute for range, but that is very dependent on the availability of a charging infrastructure. Tesla, by far has the most extensive charging network that is maintained very well. See this link. Each dot represents a Supercharger with, on average 12 stalls. Two stations on CA interstate 5 have 56 and 42 stalls. They are very fast chargers, so the turnover and time to charge is fairly quick. The regular public charging network is expanding quickly, but maintenance is sometimes an issue, and pricing is increasing, but still less than Gas. [supercharge.info]

Regarding the great lease price-that is good, even if you go over mileage. Remember, if you buy the Hyundai, you can get $7,500 federal tax credit, and possibly state incentives.

Here is a great EV trip planning website that includes most cars. I have sed it for my 160,000 miles and 3 over 4,000 mile trips. [abetterrouteplanner.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2021 11:23PM by Ken Sp..
Date: January 04, 2021 03:48PM
Markintosh
vision63

I'm glad you weren't in it when it got smashed.

Was chatting with some fellas by the lake. I saw it get hit, ran and caught the perp who I discovered couldn't go anywhere because she had busted her tire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2021 03:49PM by vision63.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 04, 2021 03:49PM
wurm

But alas, today is the last day of the that lease deal, and even if it weren't, I've discovered that there's pretty much 0 inventory within 100 miles from me. BUT, with this info, I'll be a little better prepared for when the next great cheap lease deal comes along. Meanwhile, I'm happy with my Prius.

Just before that deal, the Hyundai Kona EV had the same $99 deal. I'm sure another deal is right around the corner, especially with the usual George Washington Birthday auto sales in the near future.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: January 04, 2021 03:52PM
graylocks
vision63

dang! that stinks!

I miss Lake Merritt. Used to walk to the lake and go for runs when I lived there. Used to be my favorite thing to do on xmas day. As a new yorker it was a unique freedom to be out running in my underwear on a winter's day.

Lake Merritt is one of my favorite places. They've upgraded it quite a bit which has made it even more popular. When I lived in Atlanta, I lived in close walking distance to Piedmont Park for the last 5 years (a block off of Monroe on Seal Place) I truly, truly loved that park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2021 03:53PM by vision63.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 04, 2021 04:03PM
sekker
Q1 - yes, works exactly as a tank of gas or your Mac or your iPhone. Full charge is X range. 'Half charge' is roughly half full range.

Not "exactly"; Ken Sp. addresses this above. A small amount of charge WILL disappear during non-driving.

What with COVID-related reduced driving now, we can see a full charge very, very slowly decline while the EV is just sitting in the garage (not using any power to maintain anything; i.e. interior temperature.)
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: January 04, 2021 04:22PM
We charged our Model 3 at 110v for the first year and we got ~4.5 miles per hour, so about 40-50!miles overnight. This was plenty as long as we remembered to charge every night. We got a 220v line later as a convenience, especially for long weekend drives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2021 04:23PM by bhaveshp.
Date: January 04, 2021 04:23PM
DeusxMac
sekker

Not "exactly"; Ken Sp. addresses this above. A small amount of charge WILL disappear during non-driving.

What with COVID-related reduced driving now, we can see a full charge very, very slowly decline while the EV is just sitting in the garage (not using any power to maintain anything; i.e. interior temperature.)

Your Mac and iPhone will lose battery charge even when officially powered off. No difference in EVs, though most are really in 'sleep' mode as they continue to connect to the internet (especially the Tesla that runs regular software updates). I can say with high confidence that even in MN winters, neither a Volt nor a Tesla appreciably lose any range in a week if not driven.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 04, 2021 04:36PM
I see many posts already and I am not going to read all responses. here are my responses:

Anyway, for the sake of discussion, let's say a vehicle has a range of 150 miles between charges. Is that number based on a single continuous ride? Or if one were to start the day on a full charge and drive say, 50 miles during the day, would there necessarily be 100 left to travel over the course on the next day or two?

Why would you even think otherwise? What do you think can happen to the remaining energy in the battery? there may be a small discharge if you leave lights ON or tot keep the computers running, but that also happens in car with 12V batteries and Internal Combustion engines. In other words, the range loss overnight would be minimal.

Question 2 is whether recharging with a regular 110 or 120volt outlet is realistic or whether it would require bumping up to a 220 circuit dedicated to the vehicle. I know the biggest issue with that would be time to charge, but I could only foresee charging overnight anyway, so unless it needed more than 8 hours, it would be a non-factor.

These cars get about 3 miles per kWh. my 2014 Volt has a 10.8 kWh battery and I get 35 miles (only 26-30 now in the winter, more like 39-40 in thee Summer). It has 2 charge modes at 120V: 8 A (default) and 12 A (you need to select this one each time you want it). I always charge overnight so 8 A works for me, sometimes if I get home late and I know I leave early I do 12 A. Ii never bothered to install a 240V since wife has that at work and she comes home with more that 50% charge when she takes the car. It's been only a half dozen times when I ran an errand early in the morning and I wanted to run another errand later in the weekend and I did not have a full charge. Most of my trips are within a 10-15 mile one way so I can go back and forth on battery. And if the trip is longer or I want to run another errand before the battery is full, it uses gas. there is no range anxiety with a plug in hybrid. I fill the tank maybe 2-3 times per year.

I guess the final question is whether I might be better off with a plug-in hybrid. As I understand it, it would use battery power as long as it could and only resort to CE after the battery power is depleted. But please correct me if I'm wrong on that count. I like the idea of the gas engine as a backup just in case, but on the other hand, never having to think about maintenance (oil changes, gas, etc.) is clearly a big benefit to all electric.

that is how a Volt works, but you can also force it to use gas if you want. There are several driving modes. Hold will use gas and keep the battery at a constant level. Mountain will keep thee battery at 50%, so if it is below 50% it will charge it, if it is more than 50%5 it will use until it is at 50% then switch to gas. Keep in mind that it will act like a hybrid, so the engine will shut off at red lights or when going downhill.
Date: January 04, 2021 04:40PM
Thanks again. This information is very helpful. I started researching a bit online a couple of days ago, but it's always nice to hear it from people I 'know', if only virtually. And of course, some of your replies made me think of other questions I meant to ask.

I keep forgetting there is still an energy cost for electric. I remember the thing with Tesla offering free recharges when they first came out, but that's Tesla. Lots more EVs on the way, and I'm guessing charging stations (when and where you can find them) all require some sort of payment. I assume it not unlike paying for gas at the pump. There are a few public charging stations near us, but certainly not as many as gas stations (yet). Yeah, a upgraded charging ability at home would make sense, but at this point I couldn't justify the expense.

I guess I should be grateful I don't need to get a new vehicle at this point (uh-oh...I probably shouldn't have written that). While I could certainly learn to plan my trips accordingly, there is some comfort knowing that even if I'm down to my last gallon of gas in the Prius, I can likely find a gas station within 50 miles. I think I have a few years until CE vehicles are outlawed in MA. smiling smiley

--

Two other things worth mentioning.

1. Being in MA, we do get cold winters and hot summers, so I would have to take that into consideration in terms of planning and charging.

2. If I didn't plan right and had to stop enroute to recharge, I imagine it would frustrate me to take an hour to top off versus 5 minutes with gas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2021 05:14PM by wurm.
Date: January 04, 2021 05:35PM
wurm
Lots more EVs on the way, and I'm guessing charging stations (when and where you can find them) all require some sort of payment. I assume it not unlike paying for gas at the pump. There are a few public charging stations near us, but certainly not as many as gas stations (yet). Yeah, a upgraded charging ability at home would make sense, but at this point I couldn't justify the expense.

I guess I should be grateful I don't need to get a new vehicle at this point (uh-oh...I probably shouldn't have written that). While I could certainly learn to plan my trips accordingly, there is some comfort knowing that even if I'm down to my last gallon of gas in the Prius, I can likely find a gas station within 50 miles. I think I have a few years until CE vehicles are outlawed in MA. smiling smiley

--

Two other things worth mentioning.

1. Being in MA, we do get cold winters and hot summers, so I would have to take that into consideration in terms of planning and charging.

2. If I didn't plan right and had to stop enroute to recharge, I imagine it would frustrate me to take an hour to top off versus 5 minutes with gas.

You touch upon the utility of the Volt for me. I can take long trips without worrying about charging. My road trips can be 600 miles a day and since they are not leisure trips it would be maddening to stop for more than twenty minutes tops. Thats why a full BEV is not in my forseeable future.

As for paying for a charge, if I see a free charger I'll top off but other than that paying for electricity outside the home is not worth the money for a Volt. From most discussions I've seen most Volt owners feel the same.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 04, 2021 08:16PM
graylocks
As a new yorker it was a unique freedom to be out running in my underwear on a winter's day.

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: January 04, 2021 08:46PM
The newer Teslas get to about 85% charge in 20 min at Superchargers. We have driven over several states without finding this an issue at all.

Second, the Y and now the new Model 3 has a heat pump, which is working well in MN winters and does not seem to hammer battery life like the older heaters. This was one reason we waited for a Y.
Date: January 04, 2021 08:53PM
sekker
The newer Teslas get to about 85% charge in 20 min at Superchargers. We have driven over several states without finding this an issue at all.

the ICE tank in a Volt gets 100% in less than 5. the other 15 or less i spend going to the bathroom and getting coffee. I'd have to plan my routing around chargers which could be dicey given where a lot of my travel needs can take me. Hope springs eternal that one day this will not be the case but i doubt it will turn in my remaining driving lifetime.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 04, 2021 09:37PM
Being in the south, I am wondering how continuously running the air con for the bulk of the year will affect overall range

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 04, 2021 11:37PM
graylocks
sekker

the ICE tank in a Volt gets 100% in less than 5. the other 15 or less i spend going to the bathroom and getting coffee. I'd have to plan my routing around chargers which could be dicey given where a lot of my travel needs can take me. Hope springs eternal that one day this will not be the case but i doubt it will turn in my remaining driving lifetime.

I would conclude, for your use case, a Full Electric not for you. I would guess your use case is not what 95% of driver do.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: January 05, 2021 01:12AM
Rolando

I would conclude, for your use case, a Full Electric not for you. I would guess your use case is not what 95% of driver do.

correct. But while i don’t think it’s as high as 95% i do think that if people really analyzed how they use their car an overwhelming majority would realize their needs would be met with an electric vehicle.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 05, 2021 01:28AM

I bet gl already figured that out some time ago.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 05, 2021 08:39AM
We started with a Volt, added Tesla. We do more travel planning on the Tesla, but that’s fine. We like both cars, but the Tesla is our go-to for whatever travel we do these days.

There are other advantages of the EV - we now look for hotels with EV charging. So nice to pull into the parking lot of the hotel, check in and plug in the EV. Ready to go next morning without any added stop etc. And currently free at many hotels.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 05, 2021 08:46AM
.....electric.....boogaloo......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 05, 2021 09:30AM
sekker
There are other advantages of the EV - we now look for hotels with EV charging. So nice to pull into the parking lot of the hotel, check in and plug in the EV. Ready to go next morning without any added stop etc. And currently free at many hotels.

That is an excellent point, not having to go to a separate charging station, or gas station EVER, is very nice. Charging at home (L1 or L2) really only takes like 1 minute to plug in and then again to unplug before you leave. So convenient.
Posted by: qdog2
Date: January 05, 2021 11:23AM
My Tesla can lose up to 10 miles of charge a night depending on the weather and how many people come within the security camera zone of the car. If I drive my car on the interstate only I can lose up to 50 miles for every 100 miles I drive. When I drive in the city I don't lose any miles.

My Tesla would charge at 6 mph on 110V. It charges at 34 mph on the Tesla wall connector.

If your driving habits don't change an all electric vehicle would work well for you.
Posted by: kj
Date: January 05, 2021 06:07PM
graylocks
Rolando

correct. But while i don’t think it’s as high as 95% i do think that if people really analyzed how they use their car an overwhelming majority would realize their needs would be met with an electric vehicle.

I completely agree with you.

It gets pretty cold here, and the most I've ever lost on a charge is 7% without driving. I've never noticed anything in the non-winter, but I'm sure there is a little loss from cooling the batteries.

I only have 110v charging, and I could make it 2-3 days on a charge, but I just plug it in when I get home. It's as easy as plugging in my phone every night. People generally told me I would need the 220v, so I had a plug added to my garage. It cost 300.00. Someone then told me I should try it first with the 110v, and if I need it, I could grab a 220v charger. It turns out, I've never needed it. I had a 30mi round trip commute, with some running around (work at home now, so I don't even do near that).
At any rate, I keep it charged in case I ever need all my range. It's really not any trouble.
HOWEVER, it couldn't really be my only car. I only get around 100mi, and I need on occasion to be able to drive Boise to McCall, or to Sun Valley, or even Mountain Home, and can't really do that in my car. And real trips are a no-go. From here, I think even a Tesla could be a challenge for trips.
Heat takes a lot of juice, and going fast takes a lot of juice, so I avoid the freeway. I'm curious how long a charge would last on the interstate at 80mph (the speed limit), but I don't really know how to test that without ending up on the side of the road.
I'm sold on electric cars though.
Date: January 06, 2021 10:00AM
kj
graylocks
Rolando

I completely agree with you.

It gets pretty cold here, and the most I've ever lost on a charge is 7% without driving. I've never noticed anything in the non-winter, but I'm sure there is a little loss from cooling the batteries.

I only have 110v charging, and I could make it 2-3 days on a charge, but I just plug it in when I get home. It's as easy as plugging in my phone every night. People generally told me I would need the 220v, so I had a plug added to my garage. It cost 300.00. Someone then told me I should try it first with the 110v, and if I need it, I could grab a 220v charger. It turns out, I've never needed it. I had a 30mi round trip commute, with some running around (work at home now, so I don't even do near that).
At any rate, I keep it charged in case I ever need all my range. It's really not any trouble.
HOWEVER, it couldn't really be my only car. I only get around 100mi, and I need on occasion to be able to drive Boise to McCall, or to Sun Valley, or even Mountain Home, and can't really do that in my car. And real trips are a no-go. From here, I think even a Tesla could be a challenge for trips.
Heat takes a lot of juice, and going fast takes a lot of juice, so I avoid the freeway. I'm curious how long a charge would last on the interstate at 80mph (the speed limit), but I don't really know how to test that without ending up on the side of the road.

Which car to you have? You can look for what owners of the same model have been able to achieve in terms of distance with different variables like temperature and speed.

Over the summer, we drove our 2018 Leaf Plus to the beach. It was only 130 miles and I was never concerned about making it that far, but I was surprised to see that we had only used about 50% of our range once we arrived. The Leaf Plus is rated for roughly 220 miles depending on where you look, so I guess we regenerated some range through driving on slower roads as we got closer to the destination.

Wound up changing it back up on 110v while we stayed with a relative, so no problem there, and there were also some L3 stations in the area if we needed. Our Leaf Plus has a 100A DC fast charger so I think it can get to full in like 20 minutes, assuming the station could provide that much power.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 06, 2021 07:23PM
kj

I'm still thinking for 95% of Trips, an electric would do the job. I've long hoped that a Range Extending Trailer/Generator would be the ticket for those long trips. Car rental agencies could rent those out, as well as ICE vehicles for vacations as well.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

ADent , kj
Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020