Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
eBay best offer question
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 05, 2021 03:10PM
Poll
When you make a best offer, do you come in really low, or do you offer the lowest price you think they'll accept
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
23 votes were received.
Really low-make 'em work for it! 3

13%
Nah, if I give a reasonable offer, they're much more likely to take it! 20

87%

So I made what I thought was a reasonable offer, and the seller came back asking for more. That got me to wondering about what other MRF'ers do.....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: eBay best offer question
Posted by: clay
Date: January 05, 2021 03:11PM
depends on how badly I want or need the item....
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 05, 2021 03:16PM
As a seller, I'm not going to reply to offers that are obviously lowball, because I assume those buyers are just trolling for a deal and are never going to come up to my price.

As a bidder, I'm just usually looking to save a few bucks, not beat the seller into submission.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 05, 2021 03:46PM
Yeah, if it’s too low, I don’t even reply.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 05, 2021 03:54PM
Yea, it really depends on how much I want the item, how rare or common it is, and what's a fair price. Sometimes, I'll make a offer for just a little off, but if the item is already fairly priced, someone will come in and snag it at the BIN price while the seller is sitting on my offer.

Typically, I figure 10% off to be the most I'd expect a seller to take, but again, it depends on the item. So, if they're way overpriced to begin with, sometimes I don't even bother.

But, I just won something for 21% off asking with my offer the other day.

As a seller, most of what I list is intentionally overpriced (camera equipment/computers). I do this expecting to get offers and so that I can screen the buyers (so I don't have to accept offers for zero/low feedback buyers). I also have it set to auto-reject the lowball offers.

What I find incredibly annoying are the huge sellers with best offer enabled, but then have the auto-reject settings within a tiny margin of the item price. At that point, why even bother with the best offer, it's more annoying to the buyer.

Then, there's the flip side, with best offer available on auction items. So, now you potentially have to offer more than the starting bid to get the seller to end the auction early with your offer.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 05, 2021 04:03PM
This, absolutely this:

"What I find incredibly annoying are the huge sellers with best offer enabled, but then have the auto-reject settings within a tiny margin of the item price. At that point, why even bother with the best offer, it's more annoying to the buyer."
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 05, 2021 04:04PM
pdq
Yeah, if it’s too low, I don’t even reply.

Interesting. I used Best Offer for the first time as a seller and when I listed it, I had the option to automatically reject any offer below a certain amount. I didn't use it, but it seems like a nice way to eliminate the trollers.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 05, 2021 05:15PM
anonymouse1
This, absolutely this:

"What I find incredibly annoying are the huge sellers with best offer enabled, but then have the auto-reject settings within a tiny margin of the item price. At that point, why even bother with the best offer, it's more annoying to the buyer."
Yeppirs!
Then there's the sellers who reject and reply with a silly counter, ie:
Price: $100
Offer: $95 (only 5% off, I don't consider that unreasonable).
Then they counter with $99.50; I immediately put them on my "do not buy" list.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: BernDog
Date: January 05, 2021 05:21PM
I’m much more inclined to take a lower offer if I’ve had the item listed for a while. Sometimes I’ll have a low offer hours after I put the listing up. I do a best offer if I’m not completely sure I’ve read the market right, but an immediate offer isn’t going to get much leeway. Stuff that I’m confident will sell at the price I’ve posted does not have offer enabled.

I’ve had lowball offers on old inventory where after the back and forth, I let them have it for as low as half off. If I haven’t had any action on something for a year or more, I’d just as soon move it out and stop seeing it in my inventory.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 05, 2021 07:26PM
It all depends on everything...

The % of actual perceived value that I offer differs upon how serious I am about buying and how likely I think the thing is bound to sell.

I was looking to replace a SPECIFIC mug that was made in the 80s - I found it. $33 BIN or best offer. I wanted that thing BAD and even though it had been up for sale for weeks, I did not submit an offer - I bought it - I wanted it and I would have been pissed if someone else got it. This thing is rare but not in high demand.

I bought an AWESOME super warm/lightweight jacket for backpacking for only $75 new w/o tags. Over $250 new and bidding started at $125. I made the offer for $75 because I just bought a similar thing that was way more expensive and the offer was accepted! After trying it out, I liked it better and sold the other one.

There are many strategies, but it all comes down to what you are willing to pay and how badly you want it. Some sellers are annoyed by low bid, some assume that a buyer is going to start at 50% ask and work from there.

There is no single formula.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: January 05, 2021 09:03PM
I've got a pretty solid idea of what something is worth, and if I have a solid offer I'll usually contact the seller directly.

It's an offer. The worst they can say is no.

What I hate is formulating a "best offer" and they come back with something that is 3% or so lower than their asking price.
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 06, 2021 07:50AM
PizzaGod
I've got a pretty solid idea of what something is worth, and if I have a solid offer I'll usually contact the seller directly.

It's an offer. The worst they can say is no.

What I hate is formulating a "best offer" and they come back with something that is 3% or so lower than their asking price.

How are you able to contact the seller directly? Aside from being verboten, I thought that was pretty much impossible with ebay.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 06, 2021 08:40AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2021 08:40AM by Acer.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 06, 2021 10:54AM
wurm
How are you able to contact the seller directly? Aside from being verboten, I thought that was pretty much impossible with ebay.

You can always ask the seller a question about the item, and thus, put your offer in that question. If a buyer puts an offer in a direct communication to me, I just direct them to use the best offer feature, however. (Or ignore them, or worse, block them, but that's usually because their reason for writing is that they used up all their offers making offers below my auto-decline threshold).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2021 10:56AM by Gareth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020