Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The last Civil War widow died last month
Posted by: hal
Date: January 07, 2021 07:39PM
How can that be? you might ask...

Helen Viola Jackson’s 1936 marriage to James Bolin was unusual to say the least: He was 93 and in declining health, and she was a 17-year-old schoolgirl.

Bolin was also a Civil War veteran who fought for the Union in the border state of Missouri. Jackson was almost certainly the last remaining widow of a Civil War soldier when she died Dec. 16 at a nursing home in Marshfield, Missouri. She was 101.

Several Civil War heritage organizations have recognized Jackson’s quiet role in history, one that she hid for all but the final three years of her life, said Nicholas Inman, her pastor and longtime friend. Yet in those final years, Inman said, Jackson embraced the recognition that included a spot on the Missouri Walk of Fame and countless cards and letters from well-wishers.

[apnews.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The last Civil War widow died last month
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 07, 2021 07:52PM
....ironic......given what happened yesterday.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 07, 2021 07:59PM
Maybe they officially never got married.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 07, 2021 11:39PM
hal
How can that be? you might ask...

Helen Viola Jackson’s 1936 marriage to James Bolin was unusual to say the least: He was 93 and in declining health, and she was a 17-year-old schoolgirl.

Sounds like the sort of business transaction a Trump might pursue.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: January 08, 2021 05:24AM
Sounds like TDS.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 08, 2021 10:40AM
Married in 1936, and at 93 and 17 respectively, this seems to be an entirely statistical factoid of no actual historical significance. thumbs down
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 08, 2021 10:45AM
Except it does show that we are not all that far removed from significant American history. "Old" when referencing Europeans in American is very different than "old" in, say, Europe or Egypt, or China.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 08, 2021 01:26PM
The grandson of John Tyler, 10th US President is still alive. John Tyler was born in 1790. Let that sink in for a bit.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: hal
Date: January 08, 2021 04:08PM
DeusxMac
Married in 1936, and at 93 and 17 respectively, this seems to be an entirely statistical factoid of no actual historical significance. thumbs down

I like statistical factoids. It's a darned good one. I wasn't claiming anything of historical significance - why the attitude?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 08, 2021 05:27PM
hal
DeusxMac

I like statistical factoids. It's a darned good one. I wasn't claiming anything of historical significance - why the attitude?

Headline is a grabber, but just isn’t really that remarkable when the specifics are presented.

Also...
“They wed on Sept. 4, 1936, at his home. Throughout their three years of marriage there was no intimacy and she never lived with him.”

“Jackson’s father volunteered his teenage daughter to stop by Bolin’s home each day to provide care and help with chores. To pay back her kindness, Bolin offered to marry Jackson, which would allow her to receive his soldier’s pension after his death, a compelling offer in the context of the Great Depression.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2021 05:35PM by DeusxMac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020