advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
T-Mobile offers internet?
Posted by: abevilac
Date: January 07, 2021 09:39PM
Does anyone here use or know anyone who uses T-Mobile for their home internet? I recently found out that they have an unlimited plan for $50/mo (includes taxes) and they also give you the modem at no charge. Depending on your area it’s LTE but they say my city will have 5G soon. They weren’t quoting any speeds. Also, no contract.

I might get it for a month to test it out before I show comcrap the door.

Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: T-Mobile offers internet?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 07, 2021 10:10PM
abevilac
Does anyone here use or know anyone who uses T-Mobile for their home internet? I recently found out that they have an unlimited plan for $50/mo (includes taxes) and they also give you the modem at no charge. Depending on your area it’s LTE but they say my city will have 5G soon. They weren’t quoting any speeds. Also, no contract.

Thoughts?

They (T-Mobile) also have a bank that offers 4% on checking. They are going after Google and Apple for cross-service dominance.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 07, 2021 10:14PM
abevilac

Thoughts?

Every cellular carrier offers it. I have a storage complex at work that has a Verizon 4G modem out there to run a time clock and wifi. It was in the middle of a field and was too expensive to have wired cables pulled to the location.

Works fine as long as you have decent coverage. Essentially the same thing as a hotspot.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2021 10:15PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 07, 2021 10:15PM
Did you go here to see if it is available for your address?
[www.t-mobile.com]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 08, 2021 12:25AM
Ken Sp.
Did you go here to see if it is available for your address?
[www.t-mobile.com]

This is an important step. It wasn't available for me. I don't know what the criteria is. Maybe my city (Los Angeles) is too big.

Someone here tried it and returned it. I believe it was 5G but it was too slow. 5G is very dependent on proximity and signal strength.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 08, 2021 04:46AM
RgrF
They (T-Mobile) also have a bank that offers 4% on checking. They are going after Google and Apple for cross-service dominance.

4% is too good to be true... and it is. it applies to the first $3000, after that it drops to 1%. And there are a bunch of strings attached, such as you need to be a post paid customer, and a few others.

if they offered 4% with no limit I would put all my money there.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 08, 2021 05:25AM
space-time
RgrF

4% is too good to be true... and it is. it applies to the first $3000, after that it drops to 1%. And there are a bunch of strings attached, such as you need to be a post paid customer, and a few others.

if they offered 4% with no limit I would put all my money there.

We each have $3000 at T-Mobile accounts. You have to be a postpaid customer and also make at least a $200 deposit to the account each month to get the 4% so I have a Fidelity set-up that sends $200 to each of the accounts each month on the 10th and takes $210 from each account on the 20th. So the money in the account stays even. I view the $20 a month that we make from the T-Mobile bank as an essential reduction in the cost of the $70 a month out-the-door old-guy plan that my wife and I have with T-Mobile.

T-Mobile also has a Tuesday deal each week that give you stuff. In the 2 months we've been customers, they've had free Whoppers with any purchase couple of times as well as several dollars off at Dunkin. We've done each of those once, but decided free wasn't worth the calories. They've also had free RedBox rentals a couple of times as well as $.10 off per gallon at Shell each week. Other stuff appears, as well, but we haven't used any of it.

By the way, if you want a high interest checking account that pays higher interest on
more money, check the banks that offer Kasasa cash on checking accounts. They pretty much all have requirements of a number of debit card swipes at minimum amounts and/or deposits made and some have geographic limitations. If somebody wants multiple accounts, one strategy to make all those swipes is to get a Square and set up a fake business that deposits to one of the accounts. You can just make minimum amount swipes sitting in your chair! [www.depositaccounts.com]
Posted by: flareslow
Date: January 08, 2021 08:56AM
I tried T-Moble home internet at my house. It was pretty slow - 5-6 Mbps. I was doing side-by-side comparison with my cable from Spectrum which was >100 Mbps. In another test, I tethered my computer to my iPhone 6S+ on T-Mobile, and was able to get 15 Mbs. I sent the modem back within the trial period.

Your results may differ if you actually have 5G at your location. Apparently, I don't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020