advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone insuring their new iPhones?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 09, 2021 10:46AM
Just got an IPhone 12Pro and saw that Yahoo is now offering cellphone insurance which led me to wonder if getting insurance for it is a good idea. I think I had Squaretrade back when I first got my 6S and I kept it for a year or so as it was quite a bit cheaper than AppleCare. Anybody insuring their phones?

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone insuring their new iPhones?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 09, 2021 12:42PM
Not sure it really answers the question, but no. Check the fine print. I think AC offered more options?

Might depend on how hard you are on them... or whether or not you use a case?

Oldest broke her Xr screen, the only time she ever took the case off... its 100% forbidden on her 12. =) Not some giant ugly otterbox, just a simple $12 TPu case. Also got a glass screen protector.

The glass may break or shatter when peeps drop them from 40 feet onto concrete with no case -- but the bend tests make it look really durable, and although the screens shatter on those drop tests, the still seem to work. Hoping the screen protector I got helps.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 09, 2021 01:08PM
jdc
Not sure it really answers the question, but no. Check the fine print. I think AC offered more options?

Might depend on how hard you are on them... or whether or not you use a case?

Oldest broke her Xr screen, the only time she ever took the case off... its 100% forbidden on her 12. =) Not some giant ugly otterbox, just a simple $12 TPu case. Also got a glass screen protector.

The glass may break or shatter when peeps drop them from 40 feet onto concrete with no case -- but the bend tests make it look really durable, and although the screens shatter on those drop tests, the still seem to work. Hoping the screen protector I got helps.

I’ve got a glass screen protector on my wife’s 11 and she has a good rubberized case. She managed to crack the screen protector but it saved her screen so I was planning to add one to mine as well. I have a Duro case which is thin but allows me to wear my phone on my belt as I don’t like a phone in my pocket. I’m generally careful with my mobile technology and have never broken any device I have but I’m starting to experience some numbness in my hands due to arthritis and have had a few dropsies with other things so that was what made me consider insurance again.

JoeM
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 09, 2021 01:31PM
Not the prettiest, but someone mentioned this grippy case... I have one in my cart... but fine with my $12 spigen right now... if I ever get the itch for a new one, might give it a try.

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 09, 2021 03:01PM
I just noticed that my adult daughter's been paying $18/mo. for Protection 360 coverage through T-Mobile on her iPhone 8. Seems like a pretty hefty premium for peace of mind. Then again, the coverage seems pretty good.

...including Accidental Damage, Hardware Service (mechanical breakdown) Loss and Theft coverage, unlimited screen protector replacement on eligible screen protectors.

I don't believe she has made a claim on it yet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 03:03PM by wurm.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2021 03:02PM
......a.......(in)sure.......thing.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 09, 2021 03:12PM
We've never insured any phones nor had AppleCare on anything. We use credit cards that double warranties to buy electronics so if we ever have a problem we'll have that. We both use cases on our iPhones (clear Spigen for my wife; Otterbox Defender for me).

So far, so good...
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 09, 2021 03:17PM
I’ve purchased AppleCare on my iPhones plus AmEx to get three year warranties. Our iOS devices live long and often get two or three owners. The battery is the most likely part to be replaced. I’d estimate that we are about break even in cost for AC versus paying a la carte for such repairs.

Apple hardware is clearly better built since the iPhone 5S series and above. Had plenty of issues with iP4 and 4S models that was not due to the battery.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 09, 2021 03:27PM
I used to do SquareTrade coverage but their prices have gone up considerably. Last time I looked Applecare was actually a better deal. that being said, i haven't bothered in many years except for my Apple Watch's Applecare.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: January 09, 2021 04:30PM
jdc
Not the prettiest, but someone mentioned this grippy case... I have one in my cart... but fine with my $12 spigen right now... if I ever get the itch for a new one, might give it a try.

[www.amazon.com]

My wife’s is similar. I like the feel of these but couldn’t find one with a belt clip. This was I bought, I also had it for the duration of my 6S.

Encased DuraClip Series Designed for iPhone 12 Pro Belt Clip Case - Slim Fit Cover with Holster (Black)
by Encased
[www.amazon.com]

JoeM
Date: January 09, 2021 04:50PM
graylocks
I used to do SquareTrade coverage but their prices have gone up considerably. Last time I looked Applecare was actually a better deal. that being said, i haven't bothered in many years except for my Apple Watch's Applecare.

I checked on both. AppleCare is now $200, $270 with theft. SquareTrade is now $149 for two years but no theft.

[www.squaretrade.com]

Here’s a CR article about AppleCare costs:
[www.consumerreports.org]

I added AppleCare when I bought my Mac Pro last year but I’m feeling like the savings if damaged are not that great given the deductible. For theft or loss it might be more helpful but I’m not really concerned about either.

JoeM
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 09, 2021 06:02PM
JoeM
My wife’s is similar. I like the feel of these but couldn’t find one with a belt clip. This was I bought, I also had it for the duration of my 6S.

Encased DuraClip Series Designed for iPhone 12 Pro Belt Clip Case - Slim Fit Cover with Holster (Black)
by Encased
[www.amazon.com]

I have an Otterbox Defender but it's very bulky and several times it has not clipped in precisely. The one you linked looks much smaller. Do you find that the slide in/out works well with this one? Thanks.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: January 09, 2021 06:31PM
I had never gotten iPhone insurance and had never broken an iPhone since the first model came out. Of course this year, I dropped my 3 week old iPhone 12 Pro and cracked the screen. Thankfully, Apple lets you add-on AppleCare for up to a month after purchase. So I got it and paid the $29 fee for glass replacement.

It was bound to happen sometime.
Date: January 09, 2021 07:01PM
JoeM
I checked on both. AppleCare is now $200, $270 with theft. SquareTrade is now $149 for two years but no theft.

interesting. i didn't realize the price changed according to the phone model. my son just got an IP12 and Applecare (no theft) for that is $149.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 09, 2021 07:31PM
No case, no insurance, no regrets.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: January 09, 2021 09:07PM
Michael
JoeM

by Encased
[www.amazon.com]

I have an Otterbox Defender but it's very bulky and several times it has not clipped in precisely. The one you linked looks much smaller. Do you find that the slide in/out works well with this one? Thanks.

It is slim but that being said it protected my 6S well over the years. I went through 3 of them over the years I had the 6S. I think I got the 6S in 2009. The kick stand is really nice on it. It slid in and out really well with the 6S. This one on the 12 Pro felt a bit tight when I first got it, not too bad, but it feels good now, easier to remove and very secure. It’s a hard polycarbonate case, not soft and rubbery. They claim the DoD, NASA, Marines, Army, Navy, Police and Fire Departments use them.

JoeM
Date: January 09, 2021 09:09PM
bhaveshp
I had never gotten iPhone insurance and had never broken an iPhone since the first model came out. Of course this year, I dropped my 3 week old iPhone 12 Pro and cracked the screen. Thankfully, Apple lets you add-on AppleCare for up to a month after purchase. So I got it and paid the $29 fee for glass replacement.

It was bound to happen sometime.

Wow! That’s a lucky break, literally.

JoeM
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 09, 2021 10:50PM
I've done Applecare+ and Squaretrade. Both have done replacements. Squaretrade was a little bit more difficult than Applecare since I had to get quotes and email them in vs just going to an apple store or doing a mail in repair.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: January 10, 2021 09:29AM
C(-)ris
I've done Applecare+ and Squaretrade. Both have done replacements. Squaretrade was a little bit more difficult than Applecare since I had to get quotes and email them in vs just going to an apple store or doing a mail in repair.

I didn't know about SquareTrade needing quotes. Thanks!

JoeM
Date: January 10, 2021 08:37PM
JoeM
C(-)ris

I didn't know about SquareTrade needing quotes. Thanks!

the times i used Squaretrade i was at the Apple Store a needing a repair and ST authorized it over the phone. This was years ago so i can't remember the details. I just know I did it two different times both of which were for my son's phone.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2021 08:05AM
....Otterbox is good.....but bulky, as you mentioned.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020