advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Roadside assistance and COVID FYI
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 11, 2021 12:15AM
Apparently you are no longer allowed to ride in the cab of the tow trucks. I checked with both AAA and the Roadside from my insurance company. You have to find your own ride to wherever the tow is going. I don't see how riding in the tow truck is any different than in the Uber or Lyft you will now be forced to get as well.

I think tow companies dislike people riding in the cabs because they don't like talking to people or keeping the vehicles interiors clean. This was a good excuse to break that expectation without losing business as the entire industry shifted at once.

If I'm going to have to get a ride anyway, I might as well get a ride home, grab a truck and tow my own car home.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 12:15AM by C(-)ris.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Roadside assistance and COVID FYI
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 11, 2021 01:36AM
Literally a first world problem.

I'm all for the tow company.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 11, 2021 01:51AM
RAMd®d
Literally a first world problem.

Just because it is a first world problem doesn't mean we should settle for less while paying more. I'm certain there are a number of people who don't know this and can see the personal safety problems this will cause. I know I wouldn't want my wife sitting on the side of the road after the car has been towed away waiting for a ride share.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 11, 2021 05:42AM
C(-)ris
I don't see how riding in the tow truck is any different than in the Uber or Lyft you will now be forced to get as well...

You're jammed in right next to the driver when you ride in a tow truck. It's dangerous. To both the driver and passenger.

There's a pandemic, man.

Get the Uber. Uber makes a passing effort to have their drivers clean their vehicles, puts some space between the driver and passenger, and requires masks.

Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: January 11, 2021 05:44AM
We don’t have smartphones (no Lyft/Uber), so I don’t know what we’d do. We had a non-starting truck 75 miles from home not long ago, and luckily I managed to get it going (turned out to be the key), but I knew about this and did wonder what we’d do if we needed a tow. I don’t know anyone who’d go that far to get us. And yes, I don’t love being in a vehicle with someone these days.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2021 07:40AM
....so the road....is best traveled.....alone......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 11, 2021 08:12AM
Sarcany
C(-)ris
I don't see how riding in the tow truck is any different than in the Uber or Lyft you will now be forced to get as well...

You're jammed in right next to the driver when you ride in a tow truck. It's dangerous. To both the driver and passenger.

There's a pandemic, man.

Get the Uber. Uber makes a passing effort to have their drivers clean their vehicles, puts some space between the driver and passenger, and requires masks.

There is zero difference in contact tracing and risk between sitting in the passenger seat of a truck cab and the back seat of a small car. In fact, you might actually be closer to the person in the car. Truck cabs are huge. Tow companies can make the same passing effort to clean their cabs and require their drivers to wear masks. Might do them some good to clean up their image.

C(-)ris
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2021 08:14AM
....road is less traveled.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rz
Date: January 11, 2021 08:40AM
That would have sucked for us a few years back when we had my wife's truck break down in the middle of nowhere in Virginia, in the snow, on a Sunday. We were able to get AAA to tow it about 70 miles to the town her sister lived in, to Sears of all places, that was open and able to fix it. My wife, my son and I were able to ride with the driver the whole way.
Date: January 11, 2021 09:31AM
C(-)ris
Sarcany
C(-)ris

There's a pandemic, man.

There is zero difference in contact tracing and risk between sitting in the passenger seat of a truck cab and the back seat of a small car. In fact, you might actually be closer to the person in the car. Truck cabs are huge. Tow companies can make the same passing effort to clean their cabs and require their drivers to wear masks. Might do them some good to clean up their image.

This is not a risk that tow truck drivers assume as part of their jobs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 09:31AM by Sarcany.
Date: January 11, 2021 09:36AM
Sarcany
C(-)ris
Sarcany
C(-)ris

There's a pandemic, man.

How so? Previous to COVID tow drivers transported passengers as part of transporting the car. Transporting people was ABSOLUTELY part of the tow truck drivers job, it was the secondary part of their job, but part of their job none the less. Other than accidents where people get taken away in a police car or ambulance pretty much everyone else rides with in the truck with the tow when they break down.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 09:37AM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: kledo
Date: January 11, 2021 09:40AM
Flat bed tow trucks

That's about all I see around here anymore for autos and pick-up trucks. When my truck broke down several years ago (with young daughter riding with me) the truck was winched onto the flat bed with us still in the truck--per the tow operator's direction. Made for a memorable and bumpy ride to the repair shop.

--Kledo
Date: January 11, 2021 09:48AM
kledo
Flat bed tow trucks

That's about all I see around here anymore for autos and pick-up trucks. When my truck broke down several years ago (with young daughter riding with me) the truck was winched onto the flat bed with us still in the truck--per the tow operator's direction. Made for a memorable and bumpy ride to the repair shop.

--Kledo

That isn't legal in any state that I am aware of.

C(-)ris
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 11, 2021 10:04AM
This could be life-threatening in deep winter weather.
Date: January 11, 2021 10:34AM
C(-)ris
Previous to COVID tow drivers transported passengers as part of transporting the car. Transporting people was ABSOLUTELY part of the tow truck drivers job...

It was a courtesy.

A wholly optional courtesy.

You could never count on a lift from a tow truck driver. I've had drivers ask me to catch another ride because they didn't have room in the cab (because the cab was filthy) or because they were not supposed to have passengers in their vehicles.

[www.torquenews.com]

Tow Trucks Will Not Allow You To Ride With the Driver
One big change between the pre-COVID and post COVID protocols is that you are no longer allowed to ride in the cab with the tow truck driver to the place you are being towed. So, when you are stranded, you need to not only call AAA and get help with your vehicle, you also need to arrange your own transportation from your break-down location to home or to the repair shop.

Per AAA:

[magazine.northeast.aaa.com]

When a member calls for help, our call receivers are informing them that passengers are not allowed during this time and helping to secure alternate transportation. Thank you.

So, now you know.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 11, 2021 10:38AM
C(-)ris,

I disagree. The job of the driver is to transport the car, not its owner. If a tow truck driver transports the owner, it's done as a courtesy and actually might be a violation of their company's rules. It 100% depends on the company as well as the laws in your state.

In NY, there is nothing at all about passengers in the "TOW TRUCK DRIVER’S ENDORSEMENT" suppliment to NY's driving manual.

[dmv.ny.gov]

I've never ridden in the cab of any tow truck. I've always had walk or find alternate transportation to wherever the tow truck is taking my vehicle., i.e. a family member, friend or a taxi-type service for transport. Always.

Robert
Date: January 11, 2021 11:09AM
Robert M
C(-)ris,

I disagree. The job of the driver is to transport the car, not its owner. If a tow truck driver transports the owner, it's done as a courtesy and actually might be a violation of their company's rules. It 100% depends on the company as well as the laws in your state.

In NY, there is nothing at all about passengers in the "TOW TRUCK DRIVER’S ENDORSEMENT" suppliment to NY's driving manual.

[dmv.ny.gov]

I've never ridden in the cab of any tow truck. I've always had walk or find alternate transportation to wherever the tow truck is taking my vehicle., i.e. a family member, friend or a taxi-type service for transport. Always.

Robert

That is probably because the taxi union, association, or whatever group they have lobbied your state for that to drum up more business for them. I've needed tows at least a dozen times and have always ridden in the cab, as long as I was going to the same place the car was going. Obviously, if I wanted to go somewhere else I'd need to find my own ride. This is in IA, WI, and MN. The fact that it is "t passengers are not allowed during this time" tells me that it was an expectation previously and they are changing that.

EDIT: I'm doing more research and it appears riding in the cab may have been something that was a AAA benefit and a requirement for companies that wanted to do business with AAA was that for their calls the member had to be allowed to ride if requested. AAA also has offered a New Years ride and tow, where if you drank too much they will let you ride in the tow truck and tow your car home.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 11:13AM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2021 12:30PM
After reading this thread I have zero understanding why it makes more sense to have a cab driver endure the covid risk over a tow truck operator.

Date: January 11, 2021 12:46PM
mattkime
After reading this thread I have zero understanding why it makes more sense to have a cab driver endure the covid risk over a tow truck operator.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2021 03:57PM
Sarcany

Oh, if its in bold it cannot be questioned!

Posted by: August West
Date: January 11, 2021 04:39PM

That is probably because the taxi union, association, or whatever group they have lobbied your state for that to drum up more business for them

I imagine liabilty for towing companies would be just as likely a culprit.

Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 11, 2021 06:56PM
kledo
Flat bed tow trucks

When my truck broke down several years ago (with young daughter riding with me) the truck was winched onto the flat bed with us still in the truck--per the tow operator's direction. Made for a memorable and bumpy ride to the repair shop.

--Kledo

I had to have a Tow last year during Covid- luckily I was able to phone a friend for a ride.

I don't understand why a person couldn't ride in their own vehicle after it is loaded on a flatbed with the understand of the risk (don't open doors until car is stopped and off loaded)

I was even willing to lay the seat into a reclining position to "hide" from the police but drive still refused.
Date: January 12, 2021 05:37PM
mattkime
Sarcany

Oh, if its in bold it cannot be questioned!

"Hey, you behind the counter at McDonald's! Drive me home!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020