Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Car to be built by Hyundai?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 12, 2021 09:14AM
[www.cultofmac.com]

More details have emerged about Apple and Hyundai’s reported partnership to build an autonomous electric car. A Sunday article published by Korea IT News, via Reuters, claims the two companies will sign a deal by March. They will then start production around 2024 in the United States — with a trial before then.

Hyundai last week said that it had been in conversations with Apple. The reports send Hyundai shares skyrocketing by close to 20%.

The report claimed that the cars will either by built at the Kia Motors factory in Georgia or in a new factory in the U.S. The full annual capacity of this proposed plant would be in the region of 400,000 vehicles. The report said the 2024 production would call for 100,000 vehicles.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Car to be built by Hyundai?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 12, 2021 10:03AM
Now this is gonna be interesting. popcorn smiley
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 12, 2021 10:36AM
I didnt read the article, assuming its gonna be an EV?

Hyundai has already been running a fairly stock looking all electric Genesis eG80 around Nurmbring.

[insideevs.com]

And I hope this is all just some wild rumor, sounds stupid.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 12, 2021 10:48AM
Ooooo, building it at the GA Kia plant. Wouldn't it be a peach instead of an apple, then? driving smileywiggle smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 12, 2021 10:51AM
What is Apple bringing to the partnership... batteries with DRM so they are only replaceable at an Apple Store?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 12, 2021 10:54AM
Apple's EV program has been a poorly kept secret as "Project Titan". This name is thought to be related to a Toshiba Battery plant under construction that uses Lithium Titanate.

[www.scib.jp]

I suspect that Apple will contract with Hyandai to build their vehicle, Toshiba will supply the battery, and it will obviously use a proprietary charge plug that isn't compatible with anything else.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 12, 2021 11:37AM
rgG
Ooooo, building it at the GA Kia plant. Wouldn't it be a peach instead of an apple, then? driving smileywiggle smiley

Ummmmm. You've got a valid point there.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 12, 2021 11:41AM
It will require a proprietary dongle to charge it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 12, 2021 12:00PM
To make a self-driving car will require massive software and AI chops.

If Apple wanted to bring that to the table, and Hyundai lets Apple make the design decisions, the 'Apple Car' COULD be something like an iPhone for cars.

But in reality, I bet the first product will be more like the Motorola iTunes phone. Remember that? I didn't think so.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: January 12, 2021 12:26PM
sekker
To make a self-driving car will require massive software and AI chops.

If Apple wanted to bring that to the table, and Hyundai lets Apple make the design decisions, the 'Apple Car' COULD be something like an iPhone for cars.

But in reality, I bet the first product will be more like the Motorola iTunes phone. Remember that? I didn't think so.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The ROKR!

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 12:26PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 12, 2021 12:34PM
This is probably Cook's announcement this week.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some version of the M1 chip used to control vehicle functions. This could be very interesting and could push AAPL to a new high.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2021 12:37PM
I imagine speeding down the freeway and coming to a sudden stop while some message on my dashboard asks me to enter my apple ID.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2021 12:46PM
hal
I imagine speeding down the freeway and coming to a sudden stop while some message on my dashboard asks me to enter my apple ID.

How about if it wouldn't steer or slow down w/o your ID?
Date: January 12, 2021 12:47PM
macphanatic
This is probably Cook's announcement this week.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some version of the M1 chip used to control vehicle functions. This could be very interesting and could push AAPL to a new high.

Multiple M1 chips will be used to POWER the car with levitation!

Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 12, 2021 12:47PM
hal

and again....and again....and again

Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 12, 2021 02:15PM
mattkime
hal

and again....and again....and again

Funny b/c true.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 12, 2021 09:20PM
Proprietary charge port, wheels, tires, wiper blades, and lighting.
Must stop & connect to charger for 'app updates'.
And lest I forget, flaky bluetooth!

I'd wait for v2.0 old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 12, 2021 10:10PM
Might be the next Apple flop. Hyundai/Kia is not a good partner for Apple, they aren't even close to being on the same level.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 10:10PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 12, 2021 11:29PM
C(-)ris
Might be the next Apple flop. Hyundai/Kia is not a good partner for Apple, they aren't even close to being on the same level.

I'd rather they build it than the car be built in a Chinese Factory!

I consider Hyundai/Kia build quality lower 1st Tier for Mainstream Car companies

Below Toyota/Honda/Mazda

Above Ford and GM
Way above Chrysler Products

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 13, 2021 08:31AM
The level of quality will be whatever Apple wants it to be. To some extent Hyundai quality is such because that is the price point at which they choose to compete. Apple will be dictating the design as well as bringing its formidable software capabilities. Hyundai just brings production capacity.

And remember, Apple has no choice but to enter this space. It is widely believed to be the next big thing after smart phones. And a large part of that is due to the assumed self driving capabilities of smart cars, which lead to a bunch of bored occupants whose eyeballs need to be entertained. The companies that dictate this space will be the new Apple, Samsung and Google. This is why all the tech giants have a car program.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 13, 2021 11:04AM
rgG

LOL You're gonna put Newt out of a job!
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 13, 2021 11:12AM
Not thrilled either about it being Hyundai/Kia, I also consider them lower tier, basically second tier, also below Ford and GM (who have both come a long way the past 20 years imo)...really on par with Fiat/Chrysler...except Fiat has better design. I'd much rather have seen this deal with Ford and/or GM.

I also agree they do build to a price point to a certain extent, but I don't give them a pass for that.

No offense to fellow forumites who are fans! They do make some attractive vehicles (some). The quality is better than it was in the '90s, certainly. But I've read too many repair horror stories, and warranty issues unfixed and unbacked (the latter from a Hyundai/Kia mechanic). I hope they change my mind on their quality. This will be an interesting partnership for sure. I wonder if Apple will eventually branch out and move production to other automakers. A la iPhone was first on ATT then on all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 11:12AM by SteveO.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 13, 2021 10:01PM
Will it have a cup holder?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 13, 2021 10:35PM
But I've read too many repair horror stories, and warranty issues unfixed
and unbacked (the latter from a Hyundai/Kia mechanic).

Read the same, focusing on engine failures and Hyundai's numerous
fantasy 'excuses' for rejecting warranty claims. They knew all along they
had design and QC issues but insisted customers jump thru hoops etc.
DuckDuckGo Search

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020