Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any way to raise Flash from the dead?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 12, 2021 02:13PM
Effective today Adobe is blocking Flash from working,
[www.adobe.com], however I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get it going again.

Of course I knew this was coming, but (for work) I have been asked to download/screenrecord a flash video from a foreign website that still hosts their content in flash.
Up until last year I had an older install of Safari and Flash that would work if I disabled all the security protections, but today it doesn't work at all.

EDIT - What I should have said above is that I still have an older install of Safari and Flash that USED to work for this kind of thing, but as of today that is no longer the case. I think my older sentence made it sound like I used to have the older installs.
/EDIT

Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to know if there is any way to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 03:53PM by mikebw.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any way to raise Flash from the dead?
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 12, 2021 02:32PM
Why would you WANT to? dunno smiley
Posted by: fauch
Date: January 12, 2021 02:35PM
Maybe change the system clock?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2021 02:39PM
.....after 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' not sure.....but then 'dead' never stay that way......Superman revived.....Phoenix revived.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 12, 2021 02:46PM
testcase
Why would you WANT to? dunno smiley

Business need.

fauch
Maybe change the system clock?

Just tried that, no go. dunno smiley
Posted by: clay
Date: January 12, 2021 02:47PM
got a VM without internet connectivity?
Date: January 12, 2021 02:59PM
clay
got a VM without internet connectivity?

Maybe, but the video I need is on the Internet.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2021 03:09PM
get the name of the video and search google - many there is a non flash version of it
Posted by: clay
Date: January 12, 2021 03:14PM
any way you can access the .flv video and download it to convert without actually needing flash in the browser? I assume you've already thought of this route, though...
Date: January 12, 2021 03:28PM
hal
get the name of the video and search google - many there is a non flash version of it

Thanks, Yes I had suggested that we look for it elsewhere, but I think I just found it on YouTube myself. It's in Chinese Mandarin, and I obvs. can't see the original, so I'm having someone else confirm.

Google giveth back what Adobe takes away.
Date: January 12, 2021 03:29PM
clay
any way you can access the .flv video and download it to convert without actually needing flash in the browser? I assume you've already thought of this route, though...

Tried viewing page source, and there is no source media file to grab since the plugin doesn't even load.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 12, 2021 03:50PM
Just a guess, a browser and flash version from before the EOL was even considered might still work. Got any Mac OS 9 systems around?
Date: January 12, 2021 03:52PM
.....just don't Flash your momma'.....by accident.....

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2021 04:03PM
My understanding is that the version of Flash that integrates with Chrome might still work. Worth doing a bit of research to find out.

EDIT: Or maybe not: [www.blog.google]

EDIT #2: More info: [www.online-tech-tips.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 04:06PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 12, 2021 04:06PM
Handbrake will convert .flv files to normal formats... if you can get the full file, of course.
Date: January 12, 2021 04:30PM
UPDATE- We got lucky this time and the video on YouTube was the same.

Also, it turns out that if I change the User Agent in Safari to iOS, then the original webpage falls back to streaming .ts files, which I am able to do a screen recording of. So in the future if we need another such flash video, that is another thing I can try.

Seems like the website needs to update their player to no longer serve up flash.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 12, 2021 05:02PM
N-OS X-tasy!
My understanding is that the version of Flash that integrates with Chrome might still work. Worth doing a bit of research to find out.

EDIT: Or maybe not: [www.blog.google]

EDIT #2: More info: [www.online-tech-tips.com]

The Chrome version can work if you set the date back, doing that right now to play an online multiplayer game. But you may need to check what version you are running, I disabled updating so I still have the version that was released in early December. There are some methods of getting a download of prior versions if the January update deletes Flash.

I may try the - [bluemaxima.org] - method mentioned in that article at online-tech-tips. That was mentioned to me by another player as what they were using. If I read thing correctly, I will need to install a version of SeaMonkey they provide which includes an older Flash plugin.

Another option mentioned was the 360 browser. That is available from a software developer in China, an internationalized version is available for Windows, but it looks like their Mac version is still new enough they only have that in Chinese. An older version they released through the App Store a few years ago was pulled when someone found there was file upload/download backdoor present. That has supposedly been removed, but I haven't checked into it fully yet.

Finally, my MBP is running Safari 13.1.2 on High Sierra. With the clock set back I can run Flash just like I can with Chrome.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2021 07:06PM
JoeH
Another option mentioned was the 360 browser. That is available from a software developer in China

Sorry, but in what world is using that software a good idea?

It is what it is.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 12, 2021 08:13PM
Maybe one of these will be helpful:

[www.ghacks.net]

[ruffle.rs]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: January 12, 2021 10:14PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeH
Another option mentioned was the 360 browser. That is available from a software developer in China

Sorry, but in what world is using that software a good idea?

Didn't say it would be, and you left out the information I did provide.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 13, 2021 03:54AM
Businesses still need it for some systems.

My workplace has a Teams thread regarding using an older version of Firefox and then disabling auto updates. But this is in the Windows world.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: January 13, 2021 07:52AM
.....if you can find a....Lazarus Pit......but they don't come back....quite the same [ like what happened to Buffy, the Vampire Slayer ]........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 07:52AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 13, 2021 10:03AM
I find it interesting that the demise of Flash was well known and that businesses that made use of it did nothing to address the need. Darwin continues to be strong.
Date: January 13, 2021 10:04AM
Sam3
Businesses still need it for some systems.

My workplace has a Teams thread regarding using an older version of Firefox and then disabling auto updates. But this is in the Windows world.

It is not just the older version of the browser, also needed is an older version of the Flash plugin that does not expire itself at midnight Jan. 11th. The same approach is necessary no matter which OS is involved. In the case of Chrome, Google includes its own version of the Flash plugin. Most other browsers use the Flash plugin that is installed systemwide.

macphanatic
I find it interesting that the demise of Flash was well known and that businesses that made use of it did nothing to address the need. Darwin continues to be strong.

Most of the need for Flash now is to access legacy material, including material in archives. Most businesses have addressed the need going forward, it is the past material that is a problem.

I mentioned I use it for a game. My understanding was the company was working on a conversion on this particular game, but part of their response to COVID appears to have included staff cuts. Another of their games was converted to HTML5, and some pieces of this game also appear to have been. But it was not finished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 10:15AM by JoeH.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020