advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best earbuds for my iPh12PM
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 12, 2021 05:08PM
Hi everyone, have come to the conclusion that I do need a headset for my iPhone 12 Pro Max ... I've tried using it on speakerphone setting while on phone calls, and the person on the other end claims that they can only hear every other word. I hate holding the phone to my face ... especially a big phone like this one, so I'd want a headset/earbuds.

I have plenty which are excellent but have the 3.5" plug, so either I could get the adapter or just a new wired set. (I'm kind of against wireless/rechargeables/Airpods because I'd prefer something with better sound quality and especially for the microphone part, and I'd rather not have to deal with recharging, plus I'm not crazy about the idea of something which is essentially disposable.)

Do we prefer Apple-branded? I see on Amazon a number of the adapters but also a lot of complaints about them, and the same for the headsets.

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best earbuds for my iPh12PM
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 12, 2021 06:08PM
I like my AirpodsPro, but they are pricey.

My wife loves the new beats plex

[www.apple.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 12, 2021 06:21PM
The adapters have worked great for me. The one caveat is they have to be the Apple- branded ones. The rest suck!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 12, 2021 06:38PM
I find the regular AirPodsv2 to be perfectly suitable for the task...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: January 12, 2021 07:07PM
No AirPods or other wireless ones guys... read my original post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 07:08PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 12, 2021 07:37PM
I saw that. I'm just saying that even without the headset, I think the AirPods do a very respectable job of picking up conversation, without holding the phone to your face. Quite remarkable actually.

The first time I just answered a call while working outside, my wife asked why the sound was so clear. I don't normally use the Pods while skiing, but the few days I have, I can easily carry on a phone conversation riding the chairlift with my phone zipped in my pocket.

So the question is...have you actually tried out the AirPods before writing them off?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 12, 2021 07:39PM
PeterB
No AirPods or other wireless ones guys... read my original post.

Apologies, I did not read all of your note. However, I think there are few earbuds that are not disposable. Hard to make such tech small and repairable. And there ARE good microphones on the wireless Apple earbuds, pretty much across the board.

As for plugged-in headphones (sorry, these do not have a good microphone, cheap good headphones): my family swears by these Panasonics:

Panasonic ErgoFit In-Ear Earbud Headphones RP-HJE120-R (Red) Dynamic Crystal Clear Sound, Ergonomic Comfort-Fit

[smile.amazon.com]

Plenty of color choices. Just need the Apple adapter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 07:41PM by sekker.
Date: January 12, 2021 08:05PM
I've been really happy with the Apple-branded adapters, bought directly from Apple (lots of counterfeits out there, not worth the hassle for an $8 item), and the Klipsch R6i, or whatever's cheap from JBL (they seem to work better for me than Panasonic):

[www.jbl.com]
Date: January 12, 2021 08:18PM
Markintosh
I saw that. I'm just saying that even without the headset, I think the AirPods do a very respectable job of picking up conversation, without holding the phone to your face. Quite remarkable actually.

The first time I just answered a call while working outside, my wife asked why the sound was so clear. I don't normally use the Pods while skiing, but the few days I have, I can easily carry on a phone conversation riding the chairlift with my phone zipped in my pocket.

So the question is...have you actually tried out the AirPods before writing them off?

Nope ... but then I don't have that kinda bucks to splurge on something that might or might not work.

I did, in the meantime, go ahead and order both the adapter and the Lightning-based EarPods (not AirPods) direct from Apple.

The ones that sekker posted are priced well, but I don't really need another pair of regular wired earbuds, have TONS of those (including a Skullcandy pair that I really love). Same for the JBL's that anonymouse1 posted, but again I do appreciate the suggestions.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 12, 2021 08:31PM
Get an Apple adapter, and some Betron ELR50's, or their BS10's. Excellent overall sound profile for the diminutive price. The ELR50's are straight thru design, so you'll have to wiggle them around a little bit to find your sweet spot, but they're generally quite comfortable. The BS10's earbuds are offset at an angle, and have larger, somewhat bassier drivers... they're great for rock music and action movies, etc., but because the drivers are so big (comparitively speaking), the sweet spot thing is more critical, but more for physical ear comfort, rather than sound. If they're not aligned properly, as in pressing on your ear(s), that gets uncomfy pretty fast, so just make sure they're not pressing on your ears, and you're in for a stellar aural experience.
Good luck.

Images are Amazon links, and BTW, they go on Lightning Deal fairly regularly.
==
Date: January 12, 2021 08:43PM
Buzz
Get an Apple adapter, and some Betron ELR50's, or their BS10's. Excellent overall sound profile for the diminutive price. The ELR50's are straight thru design, so you'll have to wiggle them around a little bit to find your sweet spot, but they're generally quite comfortable. The BS10's earbuds are offset at an angle, and have larger, somewhat bassier drivers... they're great for rock music and action movies, etc., but because the drivers are so big (comparitively speaking), the sweet spot thing is more critical, but more for physical ear comfort, rather than sound. If they're not aligned properly, as in pressing on your ear(s), that gets uncomfy pretty fast, so just make sure they're not pressing on your ears, and you're in for a stellar aural experience.
Good luck.

Images are Amazon links, and BTW, they go on Lightning Deal fairly regularly.
==

Actually I think I already have a pair of the BS10's ... bought on the advice of someone here, I don't think I ever got around to trying them out though. I love my Skullcandy's and will do a compare at some point.

Re: Best earbuds for my iPhNoon
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 12, 2021 08:52PM
I've got a few SkullCandy's, too, and mano a mano the Betron's win for sound (and remote functions), though my oldest, flat corded SC's have the least cord noise.

BTW, fixed the subject line as a bonus.
==
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 12, 2021 10:38PM
Im using this lighting to 3.5 mm adapter... 100% flawless, works just like it should

[www.amazon.com]

They were $9.99 BF, seem to be a lot more now...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 12, 2021 11:00PM
Order the real-deal Apple adapter, shows up $9 shipped for me;

[www.apple.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 12, 2021 11:41PM
anonymouse1
The adapters have worked great for me. The one caveat is they have to be the Apple- branded ones. The rest suck!

Agree! Bought some cheap ones, and got a constant hiss while playing.

Why not some Genuine Apple Wired Earpods from our sponsor?
[eshop.macsales.com]

Apple
EarPods
with Lightning Connector
Bulk Packaged | Apple Genuine
Lightning
Apple Genuine EarPods
Grab a great deal on a great set of Apple Geniune Earpods with Lightning Connector. Built with both comfort and fidelity in mind, these Earpods are great on the go, at home, at school, and at work. Outfit an entire family, classroom, or workgroup with great sound at an affordable price.

The speakers inside the EarPods have been engineered to maximize sound output and minimize sound loss, which means you get high-quality audio.

The EarPods with Lightning Connector also include a built-in remote that lets you adjust the volume, control the playback of music and video, and answer or end calls with a pinch of the cord.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 13, 2021 11:30AM
I know you've already bought something...but if you still want wired and phone capability, I have sworn by my VModa Vibes since around my first iPhone, 2007. I don't know what the current model is, but these have outstanding sound, great design, great UI, and are durable as hell. I have put mine through the washing machine at least twice and they still work fine. Freakin' amazing. You can get refurbs a bit cheaper, but the guy I bought refurb from in the past went away as a seller on Amazon. There may be others now. BTW, they were listed as refurb but were NIB and looked it. Maybe just an overstock situation.

I am waiting for them to make a pair of earpods or BT.

I have a set of Beats BT circa 2017 and they are "okay." Work fine, just have a hard time finding an earbud cover that fits me well. Phone audio fine, no issues. But music quality nowhere near as good as the VModas. Luckily they were free from Apple as a makegood.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 13, 2021 02:41PM
Why not some Genuine Apple Wired Earpods from our sponsor?

I just bought some EarPods and another pair of Lightning EarPods from OWC.

These are my favorite kickin'-about 'buds.

They fit very well, sound eminently decent, and were at a good price.

The only downside is they have no passive sound isolation, so they aren't appropriate for my walks amid the noise of the city (not The City).

The flow of urban traffic is enough to require volume that leaves my ears ringing (not hard to do these days) so some kind of IECs are needed.

For superior audio, I'd go with some higher-end Shure 'buds.

I've got a pair of former flagship Shures that are exquiste and paired with memory foam tips, I can wear them for four hours, easily.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 58
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020