advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how to print a really large picture
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 12, 2021 09:33PM
I'd like to print a picture 22"x28" but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is there a company that can do this for me? What resolution picture would I need for it to look reasonably good?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how to print a really large picture
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 12, 2021 09:46PM
Costco, Bay Photo, Adorama, and many, many others. You have endless options.

Use the highest resolution you have. All these websites have guides, color profiles, etc. Just don't send a compressed JPEG, use a TIFF or other uncompressed format. Again they have very good guides about which files they accept.

[bayphoto.com]

[www.costcophotocenter.com]

Adorama seems to have a new website for their photo print business

[www.printique.com]
Date: January 12, 2021 09:46PM
forgot shutterfly
Posted by: DP
Date: January 12, 2021 09:50PM
Don't know who prints it but don't worry too much about resolution. Have you ever gotten close to a billboard? They're printed with a 50-75 point screen which means that if you look at it from 5 feet away all you'll see are dots. But if you look at it from 200 feet away, it looks great! Next time you go past a billboard on the road (and you're not driving, of course), make a "frame" with your hands around the billboard, then drop your hands to your lap. How large is it? About the size of a 4 x 6 inch print, right?

Now, a 22x28 will still be viewed closer than a billboard but will still be, I believe, far enough away to not notice the little details if the image is high resolution to start with. I'd say that if the original image is about 11x14 at 300 ppi, it could be uprezzed about 200 percent and still be good for a print. I know Photoshop has greatly improved their uprezzing capabilities over the past few iterations. If you don't have PS then consult with the shop you find and they should be able to uprez it for you.

So, what is the size and resolution of the original you want to print to the larger size?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: January 12, 2021 10:07PM
The picture is 2664x4000
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 12, 2021 10:11PM
One year at MWSF, I got a huge, gorgeous print of an attractive woman astride a Ducati.

It was huge!

Great print, make from a very big/wide Epson printer.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 12, 2021 10:41PM
davemchine
The picture is 2664x4000

reasonably good.

Might be worth some subtle sharpening although its been a while since I've made prints.

Posted by: btfc
Date: January 12, 2021 11:57PM
An oldie but goodie:

[scantips.com]
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 13, 2021 05:54AM
davemchine
The picture is 2664x4000

If the image is sharp, the prints should look great. You have enough pixels for 22x28
Date: January 13, 2021 06:17AM
The picture is 2664x4000

At what resolution? 2664x4000 at 72ppi is a lot different than 2664x4000 at 300ppi for a print.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Date: January 13, 2021 06:36AM
DP
The picture is 2664x4000

At what resolution? 2664x4000 at 72ppi is a lot different than 2664x4000 at 300ppi for a print.

he already said in the original post: 22"x28"

So he has about 120 ppi which should be enough for a wall picture.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2021 07:49AM
.....a really large....printer.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 13, 2021 07:49AM

OK. I saw later the pixel dimensions-which can be changed all you want-but now that that's established, I think the resolution for that size of an image to get a good print should be 300ppi. Or double 120 (240ppi) at the least.

Date: January 13, 2021 11:39AM
Thanks for all the good advice. I ordered through www.printique.com and will post back how it looks.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 13, 2021 11:49AM
DP

OK. I saw later the pixel dimensions-which can be changed all you want-but now that that's established, I think the resolution for that size of an image to get a good print should be 300ppi. Or double 120 (240ppi) at the least.

To achieve that size at 240ppi natively out of a camera, the camera would have to be 36 megapixels. Ideal maybe but not at all necessary.

I'd be wary if it was any smaller, but if the image is of good quality, 2664 x 4000 should be just fine for a wall photo that size. That's roughly 10 megapixels. I haven't done a ton of large format printing, but I've output similar files as big as 20 x 30 without issue. If you are concerned, consider a canvas print as they are even more forgiving and softer by nature.

While many of us are conditioned to strive for 300ppi, I've often heard that 240ppi is the sweet spot for most of our photo printing needs…and even that isn't necessary for something that will probably be viewed at no less than 3 feet away. For something that size, that's as close as you are ever going to get. Maybe 24" if you are really, really scrutinizing it.

I'd be more concerned that the image be edited and tweaked properly for the printing medium—either by you or by the company producing it. I also wouldn't be worried about sending a JPG as long as it is saved at a high quality and not compressed unnecessarily along the way.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: January 13, 2021 12:03PM
I think that Costco has a policy of letting you return prints easily if you don't like the result. Also many of the large format printers (24" or wider on roll paper) have a optimization hardware built-in which helps to improve results even from lower ppi images. It only works up to a certain point (you can't get high quality from a small 72dpi web image).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 12:19PM by pqrst.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 13, 2021 02:24PM
davemchine
I'd like to print a picture 22"x28" but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Big printer. damn you smiley
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 13, 2021 07:07PM
mikebw
davemchine
I'd like to print a picture 22"x28" but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Big printer. damn you smiley

We have a large format printer at work so I can print things 36" wide by however long I want. I use some fancy glossy photo paper that has adhesive on one side that works pretty well. My experience has been that large format prints are very forgiving. I've used images downloaded from the interwebs, sized them up in photoshop and printed them and they look ok. Obviously not gallery quality but it all depends on what your going for. We typically do posters for people who are retiring so they like the gesture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020