advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Picture of the Mountains in So Cal from last Friday
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 02, 2007 07:12PM
I couldn't post this last week when I took it since my new PC hadn't been set up yet so here it is for your Friday viewing enjoyment!

Can't hardly see the mountains today for all the smog...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Picture of the Mountains in So Cal from last Friday
Posted by: kap
Date: March 02, 2007 07:17PM
Harbourmaster
Can't hardly see the mountains today for all the smog...

Nice picture! Thanks for posting!
From our front porch and the master bedroom upstairs we can see our mountain just fine! Will post the view of it soon smiling smiley

SoCal for now.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: March 02, 2007 07:37PM
I remember those Mountains.. grew up in the San Gabriel Valley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 02, 2007 08:00PM
that looks like a shot from 1963 for some travel magazine... cept maybe for the planes in the background

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 02, 2007 09:06PM
have you lived in LA all your life?

when i was kid growing up in long beach/lakewood 30 years ago you could NEVER see the mountains, ever

but i would say since the early 90s the air is a million times more clear

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Pat
Date: March 02, 2007 09:20PM
Ken obviously has one heck of a camera/lens combo. Zooming in, you can see my boy. winking smiley

Mt. Baldy last Saturday

After that we came down your way, sort of, to Dockweiler. Snow and sand in one day.
Posted by: Webster J. Duck
Date: March 02, 2007 11:07PM
Driving up the 73 into Irvine every day I can see Newport Bay, the snow covered mountains and the saddlebacks. Almost makes up for the three speed traps I pass along the way.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: March 03, 2007 03:18PM
Which airport is that, Ontario? Seems like every time a TV commercial is shot in an airport setting, they use Ontario's new terminal...
Posted by: Pat
Date: March 03, 2007 03:51PM
Not Ontario.
Posted by: GeneH
Date: March 03, 2007 08:17PM
After a rainstorm that covers the entire LA basin, it's not at all unusual to see the mountains up north nowadays.

In fact, when I lived in Torrance, after one of those periods of rain, I could easily see the Hollywood sign (and the mountains) when driving north on the overpass on Prairie Avenue which skirts the Mobil refinery. The atmosphere was crystal clear. And that's looking across the entire LA basin, a distance of over 35 miles!

My first encounter with CA smog was memorable too. In February of 1971, I came through the San Bernadino pass headed for LA. The pass looked like it was in the midst of a DENSE FOG, which I thought it was. Visibility was limited to about 200 yds! Except it wasn't fog, it was SMOG! Sheesh! When I arrived at my sister's place in west LA, the sky was again sunny and clear.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 658
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020