advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Kindle for Teens. The gift that keeps on giving
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 13, 2021 07:26AM
I hate to beat a dead horse, but this still just baffles me to no end.

Our latest involves checking books out from the library. A seemingly innocuous task that Amazon seems to have hobbled. I guess it makes sense since they'd probably rather have you BUY a @#$%& book.

So daughter wants to check out a library book. No problem. She can do it on her computer or in the Libby app on her phone. Bonus! There is a "Read on Kindle" button. Sweet! So best of both worlds right?

WRONG.

When she clicks on Read on Kindle it takes her to her Amazon account to sign in to access her Kindle. As I noted in the original thread, the Kindle is now registered to ME...because...Amazon. I guess Amazon doesn't want teens to read? So now what does she have to do? She has to log into MY account. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I'd really rather not have my teenager have full access to my Amazon account. But apparently that is the only way to get this done. Unfuckingbelievable.

Re: Kindle for Teens. The gift that keeps on giving
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 13, 2021 07:43AM
It's not necessarily the solution, but it is a solution. Can't you just borrow the book for her? Or can you switch registration of the Kindle to her? Suppose she bought a Kindle from someone else? Is that Kindle forever locked to the original account?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Date: January 13, 2021 07:57AM
wurm
It's not necessarily the solution, but it is a solution. Can't you just borrow the book for her? Or can you switch registration of the Kindle to her? Suppose she bought a Kindle from someone else? Is that Kindle forever locked to the original account?

Neither of us like the idea of me lording over her book selection process. She wants things on the fly. Teenagers. I want to give her the ability to get it when she needs it as well.

Part of the original thread is that teens are not allowed to have a kindle according to amazon. Well, they can. IF they have their own Amazon account. With a valid credit card. And a valid mailing address. But my teen is part of my Prime household. Which is different than having her own account. Mostly so she can order the odd thing if needed using our shared CC and obviously our address. And mostly she is part of my Prime account so I can share my music subscription. If she is not part o fly household she does not have access to my paid music subscription.

Therein lies the double edged sword. Member of Prime household. Music but no Kindle. Own account. Kindle but no music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 07:57AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 13, 2021 08:22AM
I have the same problem. I tried REALLY hard to find a solution. The KindleUnlimited option was the best solution I could find. It allowed my son to check out any book available through the Kindle Unlimited service, but using it with Libby requires that it is registered in my name. They need a Family account similar to how apple does it with Apps and music.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: January 13, 2021 08:27AM
ztirffritz
I have the same problem. I tried REALLY hard to find a solution. The KindleUnlimited option was the best solution I could find. It allowed my son to check out any book available through the Kindle Unlimited service, but using it with Libby requires that it is registered in my name. They need a Family account similar to how apple does it with Apps and music.

Thats the thing. They HAVE a family account. With a shared CC and address. We have one!

Kindle requires a valid address and CC. Both of which are included in my family account! But it still won't work with teens. It says right there under my Prime household. You can add two adults. And under adding Teens, it clearly states that Kindle does NOT work.

So although I abhor this, I have created a separate account for her. So now she has an Amazon account for music that she shares with us. And another one for the Kindle. I mean for @#$%& sake Amazon.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2021 08:44AM
....kill them with....Kind.....le.....ness......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 13, 2021 09:15AM
Let me re-phrase that: They need a Family account like Apple has that works.

bazookaman
ztirffritz

Thats the thing. They HAVE a family account. With a shared CC and address. We have one!

Kindle requires a valid address and CC. Both of which are included in my family account! But it still won't work with teens. It says right there under my Prime household. You can add two adults. And under adding Teens, it clearly states that Kindle does NOT work.

So although I abhor this, I have created a separate account for her. So now she has an Amazon account for music that she shares with us. And another one for the Kindle. I mean for @#$%& sake Amazon.

Date: January 13, 2021 09:29AM
ztirffritz

YES!

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 13, 2021 10:08AM
Too bad Apple doesn't have a Books app for Android.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 13, 2021 01:14PM
bazookaman
ztirffritz

YES!

Not sure how to read that.

"A family account like Apple's that works for this kind of thing"

OR

"A family account like Apple's—but a better version that actually works"
Date: January 13, 2021 05:25PM
Allow me to re-phrase that again:
They need a Family Account that works, similar to Apple's, which has been working smoothly for several years now.

datbeme
bazookaman
ztirffritz

YES!

Not sure how to read that.

"A family account like Apple's that works for this kind of thing"

OR

"A family account like Apple's—but a better version that actually works"

Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 13, 2021 11:42PM
Why not just select "read in browser"? Our shared LAPL account works fine like that.
Date: January 14, 2021 05:09AM
RgrF
Why not just select "read in browser"? Our shared LAPL account works fine like that.

B/c she's trying to read it on her kindle?

Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 14, 2021 03:48PM
Yeah - I lost track of that by the time I came back to the thread. I came back to say I had the same problem with Kindle, it was klutsy and tied by the apron-string to the Amazon store - never did get it right so now it sits unused in a drawer somewhere in the house.
Date: January 15, 2021 04:40AM
RgrF
Yeah - I lost track of that by the time I came back to the thread. I came back to say I had the same problem with Kindle, it was klutsy and tied by the apron-string to the Amazon store - never did get it right so now it sits unused in a drawer somewhere in the house.

Hah. I will not be beaten! She's going to use that damn kindle no matter what!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020