advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of Handbrake
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 13, 2021 11:45AM
I'm considering picking up an 8 core MBA M1. Curious if anyone has been using Handbrake on one. If so, is it noticeably faster in converting MKV to m4v?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of Handbrake
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 13, 2021 01:16PM
Do you need to transcode the elementary streams, or just move them into an .mp4 container? If it's the latter you'd do better to just set up an ffmpeg script to change containers. Much faster and no change to the audio or video quality.
Date: January 13, 2021 01:50PM
Will Collier
Do you need to transcode the elementary streams, or just move them into an .mp4 container? If it's the latter you'd do better to just set up an ffmpeg script to change containers. Much faster and no change to the audio or video quality.

I'm assuming that VOB files need to be transcoded as they are typically mp2 format but not that familiar with the process to be positive.
Date: January 13, 2021 01:53PM
macphanatic
Will Collier

I'm assuming that VOB files need to be transcoded as they are typically mp2 format but not that familiar with the process to be positive.
You have VOB files in an .mkv? Are you sure about that? Drop a couple into MediaInfo to verify.

[mediaarea.net]

If the elementary video files do turn out to be VOB and/or MP2, yeah, you'd want to transcode. If they're any variety of MP4, you might do fine just changing containers to either .mp4 or .m4v (the latter is more compatible with various audio codecs; .mp4 only likes AAC).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 01:54PM by Will Collier.
Date: January 13, 2021 02:09PM
Will Collier
macphanatic
Will Collier

You have VOB files in an .mkv? Are you sure about that? Drop a couple into MediaInfo to verify.

[mediaarea.net]

If the elementary video files do turn out to be VOB and/or MP2, yeah, you'd want to transcode. If they're any variety of MP4, you might do fine just changing containers to either .mp4 or .m4v (the latter is more compatible with various audio codecs; .mp4 only likes AAC).

Thanks for the link. That's a handy piece of software. The VOB files are from DVD's. So they should be and are MPEG. I dropped a few MKV's and get either MPEG or HEVC. Thinking more about this though, I would need to transcode either for my iPad. Not exactly practical to put a 30 gig video file on it.
Date: January 13, 2021 02:13PM
That's weird, I've never seen a VOB by itself in a container. But yeah, the contents should be MPEG-2 video and if that's what you have you'll want to transcode them to a modern codec (h.264 or so).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2021 02:25PM
....if your brakes ever fail......remember the handbrakes.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 13, 2021 02:50PM
Will Collier
That's weird, I've never seen a VOB by itself in a container. But yeah, the contents should be MPEG-2 video and if that's what you have you'll want to transcode them to a modern codec (h.264 or so).

Its a ripped dvd with a Video_TS folder
Date: January 13, 2021 03:04PM
macphanatic
Will Collier

Its a ripped dvd with a Video_TS folder

Gotcha. Yeah, you'll want to transcode that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020