Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Same day root canal and crown
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 13, 2021 06:18PM
Has anyone had this done?

I'm going to have this done next Tuesday.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Same day root canal and crown
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 13, 2021 06:22PM
Pretty sure I have. It'll probably be a temp crown, but as long as you have a dentist like mine who doesn't believe in pain, you should be fine.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 13, 2021 06:27PM
Some dentists now have a CNC “lab” in their office and can mill the crown right there from a scan and 3D model. I wonder if this is that sort of thing ?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2021 06:28PM
Yeah, it takes like 2 weeks for them to make the permanent crown and ship it.

The kind of dentist who has the equipment to do it in-house is working on Jerry Seinfeld, not you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 06:30PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 13, 2021 06:33PM
cbelt3
Some dentists now have a CNC “lab” in their office and can mill the crown right there from a scan and 3D model. I wonder if this is that sort of thing ?

This is from the website of my dentist:

We offer CEREC same-day crowns to help restore the function and appearance of your teeth. We can create the crown right in the office using CEREC technology. It allows us to save our patients time and discomfort by creating them in just one visit. CEREC one-visit restorations mean you don’t have to worry about uncomfortable temporary veneers, crowns. These one-visit crowns are made of high-quality porcelain, which will seamlessly match your natural tooth color.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 13, 2021 06:38PM
Sarcany

The kind of dentist who has the equipment to do it in-house is working on Jerry Seinfeld, not you.

Actually my last two dentists have both had the same day crowns. I have several. sad smiley
My previous dentist actually took me back and let me watch the machine make my crown, right after he got the equipment.
It is like a tiny little lathe that cuts a block of ceramic material into a crown. Pretty cool to watch actually. Only takes like 45 minutes or so to make the crown.

It is the Cerec equipment that made mine.
Cost is pretty much the same as the send away and wait crown.
The good thing about the Cerec crowns is that they are solid, so no chipping off of the enamel and exposing the metal underneath, which is why I had to have one of my old ones replaced.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 06:41PM by rgG.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 13, 2021 07:00PM
I have a crown replacement coming up. This office is pretty up to date but I don't know if they are THAT up to date. We'll see. I would not have thought to ask, so glad for the thread.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2021 07:08PM
.....that's like getting a vasectomy......then going for horseback ride afterwards........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: January 13, 2021 07:27PM
The only issue I have with this is what I went through with my last root canal. The first procedure did not get rid of all the infection. I had to have a second root canal done. It was just a matter of popping off the temporary crown and doing the cleaning out of the root. If I had the permanent crown, they would have had to drill through it to complete the procedure and then do a filling in the crown.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2021 07:33PM
rgG
Sarcany

Actually my last two dentists have both had the same day crowns. I have several.

Hmm... Didn't realize that it had trickled down yet!

Posted by: rgG
Date: January 13, 2021 07:40PM
Sarcany
rgG
Sarcany

Actually my last two dentists have both had the same day crowns. I have several.

Hmm... Didn't realize that it had trickled down yet!

Yep, I got my first Cerec crown maybe 7-8 years ago.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: John B.
Date: January 13, 2021 07:53PM
Yep, add me to the list of commoners with a dentist with 3D imaging and in-house milling. Average permanent crown appointment is less than 2 hours start to finish. The only time he sends out to a lab is for front-tooth crowns where he wants the lab to do a custom color blend.

First one I had done, I was in and out in 2 hours and done. At the same time a coworker was having a crown done “the old way” at his dentist and had 4 return trips. His temporary crown popped off and then the permanent crown popped off as well.
Posted by: d4
Date: January 13, 2021 08:05PM
My dentist took several visits over 6 months to go from initial root canal to finished final crown on my back molar. She wanted to be sure everything was fine with the root canal before going to the expense of the finished crown. I went through THREE plastic temp crowns. No charge for the follow-up visits.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 13, 2021 08:14PM
Same day crown is one thing....

same day root canal thrown in for good measure is something else.

Root canals often need some/most/all of the two weeks for any infection to completely clear up, hence the temp pack and cap; in case the doc has to go back in. Same day crown for cracked tooth/bad filling (no root canal needed) is great if you're down w/ the all ceramic gig. There are pros and cons for both the all ceramic crowns, and the ceramic over precious metal based crowns, that due to the way they're made, take awhile longer so can't be done same day.

Same day root canal AND crown, in theory, scares the heck outa me; if they fill all the canals with the permanent stuff, and put on the permanent crown, and anything happens, the fix is gonna be a lot worse than it would've needed to be. I've only had three root canals and thirteen crowns (eleven teeth, w/ two do-overs, plus waiting for pandemic to subside for a third do-over), so I've had a bit of experience.
I had an overly aggressive dentist when I was young, that put in a bunch of oversize fillings that eventually caused cracks that contributed to that experience.

I'd recommend a whole lot of homework before diving in face first for the same day root canal + permanent crown exacta....
seems like potentially way too risky of a bet without 100% guarantee of success.
Same day ceramic crown only, go ahead and bet the farm.

Good luck.
==
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 13, 2021 08:51PM
20 years ago I had it done a day or two later in Sacramento. Digital X-ray and advanced CAD makes it reliable, but it is expensive and usually requires a practice with several dentists and a dental surgeon.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 13, 2021 09:12PM
What Buzz said. I don't think I'd ever do a same day for both, as there could be bleeding or infections and the crown would then be removed. And usually the endodontist and the regular dentist are two different folks.

My 2nd and most recent root canal happened just prior to the shutdown, so I went about 8 months with a temp crown. It was fine. When I returned to the regular dentist to be fitted for the crown, my replacement (second temp, if you will) crown fell out twice. Should've left the temp in!
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 13, 2021 10:18PM
I recommend to watch The Crown in the evening and then have the root canal the next day.
Posted by: Diana
Date: January 14, 2021 12:18AM
My old dentist had such a setup. He also didn’t believe in pain for the patient, and I had several root canals with subsequent caps. Usually he would put a temporary in place, allowing any swelling to recede and putting the permanent crown on about a week later. Unfortunately he retired; I found I didn’t care for the new practice and found a replacement dentist, a more no-nonsense kind. If he doesn’t think it’s needed, he will either give his opinion or he won’t suggest it; he is also a pain-free dentist.

Any swelling you have will throw off the fit for the crown as well as the bite and will become most noticeable once the swelling goes down. As noted above, if there is any need to go back in, they will have to drill through the crown and subsequently fill afterwards since permanent crowns are not designed to ever come off.

But then, I think you probably knew this already.

Diana
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 14, 2021 08:01AM
what cbelt3 said. Mine is rigged for it, if one has that much chair patience, especially now.
f that noise. I'd take a 2nd appt.
as others have said, I'd wait a week just to make sure the canal doesn't have any by-standers hanging about.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 14, 2021 11:55PM
I recommend the "sweet air," N2O.

I've had a few root canals and a number of crowns, but I can't exactly remember if I did both on the same visit. I've had a few single visit in-house crowns, they seem to work as well as other crown types.

=wr=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020