advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommendation for an electric kettle?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 13, 2021 11:35PM
Spousal unit and I are in the market for an electric kettle to boil water for our tea habit. Capacity 1.5 to 2 liters, auto shutoff. Anybody got a recommendation? Any to avoid?

TIA

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommendation for an electric kettle?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 13, 2021 11:40PM
Get one of these instead? Instant hot water.

[www.homedepot.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: davester
Date: January 13, 2021 11:45PM
Breville. Also, if you don't mind laying out a bit of cash, you can upgrade to the Breville tea maker which doubles as a kettle. It's my favorite appliance of all time. We have this kind: [www.bedbathandbeyond.com] . They also have a smaller cheaper version.

They also have a seconds/refurb store that offers pretty big discounts.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 02:00AM by davester.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 13, 2021 11:45PM
My wife has this one - [www.amazon.com]

The price was $50 when I bought it - maybe covid has pushed up prices?? That said, she'd willingly pay 2x the current price since its become so ingrained in her daily routine.

If you're a real tea nerd you'll want to select your temperature.

Posted by: srf1957
Date: January 14, 2021 12:09AM
$20 fior a teapot on a burner . You are paying over $200 for a teapot with built in burner . Just put the tea in a coffeepot .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 12:10AM by srf1957.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 14, 2021 05:04AM
mattkime
My wife has this one - [www.amazon.com]

The price was $50 when I bought it - maybe covid has pushed up prices?? That said, she'd willingly pay 2x the current price since its become so ingrained in her daily routine.

If you're a real tea nerd you'll want to select your temperature.

We've had several of these over the years. They are great. By several of these, I mean the same one. When we wear one out we buy the same one again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 05:05AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: January 14, 2021 05:38AM
No specific recommendation, as I have a fairly cheap Kalorik one that does the job, but this is a great appliance... it boils so quickly and efficiently and doesn’t whistle (waking others up). It just holds the boiling water until I’m ready, and it’s auto-off so I never wonder if I turned off the stove. I love that it’s clear so I can tell if it needs a reload at a glance.

I boil water for pasta and other things in it, because it’s so much faster.
Posted by: dk62
Date: January 14, 2021 08:01AM
I second Breville. I had problems with other brands but do not remember which. Be sure to clean it every few months by boiling vinegar solution in it.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 14, 2021 08:14AM
dk62
I second Breville. I had problems with other brands but do not remember which. Be sure to clean it every few months by boiling vinegar solution in it.

Third. Have had ours for ages.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: decay
Date: January 14, 2021 08:18AM
We have a Russell & Hobbs, but it's no longer available at AMZ. Bought it almost 6 years ago.
[www.amazon.com]

Their Amz store:

[www.amazon.com]

Looks like this but chrome:
[www.walmart.com]

Here's a Good Housekeeping 'best kettles of 2021' article
[www.goodhousekeeping.com]
(UK links, oops)

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 08:19AM by decay.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 14, 2021 08:26AM
We bought a Chefman brand from amazon a good while ago- [www.amazon.com]

Has all the features you need. There might be a more reliable brand, as I have had to disassemble the base twice and clean some of the electrical contacts with contact cleaner spray. Good to know how to fix it, but it is a slight annoyance.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 14, 2021 08:28AM
.....get one of those asian water boilers.....you will have boiled water at the ready.......for making oatmeal.....tea.....coffee....etc....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 14, 2021 08:29AM
Be sure to clean it every few months by boiling vinegar solution in it.
Citric acid is another choice, use it for my kettle & coffee maker.
1 tablespoon added to quart of water, boil then let it sit for 15 minutes
or so.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: January 14, 2021 10:10AM
This one by Capresso is my favorite, but I can't truly recommend it to others because it's not super long-lasting. The lid hinge is the weak point, and is broken on the kettle I used this morning to heat water for my coffee pour-over. However, it is pretty and fast and easy to clean, and just makes me happier than the others I've used. I buy them at one of those discount stores when I get a chance; there is a spare in my pantry right now, for when this one completely gives up...
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 14, 2021 10:37AM
Whichever you buy, make sure the lid is very secure. About 10 years ago, I had one in my classroom. I was making tea in a paper type cup. As I was holding the cup and pouring hot water, the lid released and poured boiling water over my entire hand. Serious second degree burns cause blistering of nearly my whole hand.

I have not used any electric kettle since then, nor not much of a fan of paper cups anymore.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: January 14, 2021 10:43AM
.......the asian ones have a pump.....for the water to come out......

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 14, 2021 11:07AM
Though I am rapidly becoming a tea snob (sort of), I haven't yet invested in a multi-temperature tea kettle...

This simple Ovente water boilin' kettle has suited my needs for five years now. It may come to live in my office at work, since I got a new (different brand, similar lack-of-feature set) one for Christmas.

[www.amazon.com]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go make a cup of Fortnum and Mason Fortmason tea that I brought back from London. Just kidding, I keep that at home... I'm making Taylor's Earl Grey loose leaf at work. I wouldn't leave a tin of Fortmason where the barbarian coffee drinkers at work could find it. They'd oversteep it and ruin it.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 14, 2021 11:35AM
The Wirecutter likes this one from Cuisinart. We were given one last year and it is nice and seems to work well.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 14, 2021 11:55AM
Paul F.
Though I am rapidly becoming a tea snob (sort of), I haven't yet invested in a multi-temperature tea kettle...

This simple Ovente water boilin' kettle has suited my needs for five years now. It may come to live in my office at work, since I got a new (different brand, similar lack-of-feature set) one for Christmas.

[www.amazon.com]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go make a cup of Fortnum and Mason Fortmason tea that I brought back from London. Just kidding, I keep that at home... I'm making Taylor's Earl Grey loose leaf at work. I wouldn't leave a tin of Fortmason where the barbarian coffee drinkers at work could find it. They'd oversteep it and ruin it.

I like the look of the Ovente in black.

---
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 14, 2021 02:00PM
Wife just got a Hamilton Beach in glass with LEDs. Boils water pretty fast!

I wonder if it uses simple resistance or magetic induction?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: hal
Date: January 14, 2021 02:12PM
I did some research on the topic 10 years ago and went with a Hamilton Beach Electric Stainless Steel Tea Kettle - it cost $20 + shipping and is still going strong. They have more variety in sizes and color now - [hamiltonbeach.com].

the one that I have is 1.7 liters - most are smaller now...
Date: January 14, 2021 02:24PM
.....kettle.....bell......

Posted by: davester
Date: January 14, 2021 03:41PM
Rolando

Induction only works if you are heating the food/liquid inside a steel or iron container. That doesn't make any sense for a device like a kettle. They simply have resistance elements directly under the base of the water container.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 14, 2021 04:10PM
"Breville the Tea Maker - $280"

It was briefly under $140 at Bez-azon in August.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 14, 2021 06:31PM
I had one that looks a lot like the Aicok kettle on Amazon — different badge but otherwise identical. It was inaccurate.Set it to 175, it’d stop at 205.

I tossed it and got a Milin, which is better with the temperature, but it makes very loud, very annoying beeps.

Start with that features you want, they’re not all the same. The user interface isn’t the same, either. I still struggle with the Milin. How hard should it be to heat up water?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 14, 2021 09:45PM
Thanks, all!

Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 15, 2021 01:08AM
davester
Rolando

Induction only works if you are heating the food/liquid inside a steel or iron container. That doesn't make any sense for a device like a kettle. They simply have resistance elements directly under the base of the water container.

The base of the kettle IS Metal, possibly steel by the heft...
In the base there is a C shaped line where it actually gets hot. The water starts bubbling there. After a few days there is some calcium build up from our very hard water in a c-shape.

Since mag induction generates heat much faster, it would be a good candidate for a tea kettle...

Kettle -Glass
Metal
Plug in Base

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020