advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Going back to listening to full albums, getting tired of playlists
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: January 18, 2021 12:53PM
Here's the app I would recommend (I have no financial interest, just like to support indie developers and this is a really good app):

[apps.apple.com]

[www.sellfishsoftware.com]

BTW, I did pay for the one year subscription to unlock all the awesome features

If you want to have *less* control then you can also check out this app:

[apps.apple.com]

[adrian.schoenig.me]

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going back to listening to full albums, getting tired of playlists
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 18, 2021 01:13PM
I support this. So much of my favorite stuff is from the glory days of album-oriented rock. The sequence is part of the work, and it's burned in my memory. Plus there's nothing more jarring than songs that are meant to splice together abruptly cut or begun.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: January 18, 2021 01:31PM
I have a play list called "Listen to Albums".
It randomly picks 25 songs that haven't been played yet this year.
Shuffle a song and then click on the song to go to that album and listen to whole album in order.
This play list also does not allow, greatest hits, compilations, sound tracks, etc.
Work great great for digging into albums.

I'll check out your links.

Steve
Posted by: Schpark
Date: January 18, 2021 02:12PM
I did this one better and am now buying physical albums and spinning them. The first time my son heard the quality of the sound coming from a physical disc had him in awe.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 18, 2021 02:34PM
I'm with you there, though it got me to thinking. The only reason that we have these collections of songs called "albums" is that the only way to listen to more than one prerecorded song at a time from roughly the 1950s through the 1990s was by using an LP (or later a cassette or CD of similar capacity). Prior to that, 78s only had one short song per side and after that, the iPod and MP3 revolution resulted in disconnection of individual songs from each other. The art form that is the album is something unique in musical history. Will there be albums in the future?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 03:14PM by davester.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 18, 2021 02:41PM
Song cycles are far older than albums. Beethoven symphonies, Mozart requiems, Handel's works...all comprised of individual songs, or movements in the proper parlance, meant to be performed together in a particular sequence.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 18, 2021 02:45PM
The attention span is too short these days.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 18, 2021 03:17PM
Acer
Song cycles are far older than albums. Beethoven symphonies, Mozart requiems, Handel's works...all comprised of individual songs, or movements in the proper parlance, meant to be performed together in a particular sequence.

Sure, but that was way before prerecorded music and was probably designed for the attention span of an audience in a symphony hall.

A really interesting TED talk is this one by David Byrne where he discusses how music has evolved to match the buildings and methods that we listen to it in. [www.ted.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: clay
Date: January 18, 2021 04:34PM
Schpark
I did this one better and am now buying physical albums and spinning them. The first time my son heard the quality of the sound coming from a physical disc had him in awe.

You talking about CDs or vinyl?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 18, 2021 06:30PM
OP and others may find this article, written last year in the early days of the pandemic, of interest: [www.latimes.com]

EDIT: A follow-up article, written much more recently, is also worth a read: [www.latimes.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2021 03:02AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: raz
Date: January 18, 2021 08:52PM
Schpark

I’ll go you one better. My kid spent his bonus the next year on a stereo so he could spin vinyl. He even turned one of his friends into a vinyl lover.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 18, 2021 09:35PM
raz
Schpark

I’ll go you one better. My kid spent his bonus the next year on a stereo so he could spin vinyl. He even turned one of his friends into a vinyl lover.

My son dug up my vinyl from the 70s and 80s (some of my Parents stuff from the 50s and 60s). Some of them are worth $$. He just dug up his grandfathers (wife's father) stuff from the 60s and early 70s!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 19, 2021 08:13AM
Since Apple’s Music app on my Mac ate my playlists when I ‘upgraded’ from iTunes, I’ve been only listening to albums. A nice experience.

I’ll manually import my favorite playlists sometime, but right now - that’s ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2021 08:13AM by sekker.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 19, 2021 07:27PM
raz
Schpark

I'm happy to hear this. smiling smiley

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020