advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
'M'mm.....mmm.....good?!....some M1 macs affected by fast user switching screensaver bug......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 18, 2021 03:02PM
......screensaver activated and unable to dismiss it......

Some M1 Macs Affected By Fast User Switching Screensaver Bug

.....A growing number of user reports online suggest some of Apple's M1 Mac models are susceptible to a Fast User Switching bug that spontaneously activates the screensaver and leaves the user unable to dismiss it.

In macOS Big Sur, Fast User Switching allows users to quickly switch between user accounts without having to completely log out. Based on posts in the MacRumors forums, Apple Community forums, and on Reddit, however, a screensaver can sometimes take over the screen of Apple Silicon Macs without notice, rendering the desktop workspace completely unavailable.

While the screensaver appears on the screen, the mouse pointer is still on top and moving, but nothing else works, and users have to close and re-open the lid on their MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, or light press the Power/Touch ID key or use the Alt-Command-Q key combination to get back to the login page.

Disabling Fast User Switching prevents the issue from happening, but that obviously leaves the login feature inaccessible. Having the screensaver disabled in System Preferences for all users doesn't seem to make a difference either.

The issue has been reported on M1 MacBook Air, M1 13-inch MacBook Pro, and M1 Mac mini models, and occurs on all versions of macOS Big Sur, including the latest 11.1 update. Affected users are advised to submit feedback to Apple to hopefully facilitate a fix.

well.....son of a......switch......?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 03:10PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 'M'mm.....mmm.....good?!....some M1 macs affected by fast user switching screensaver bug......
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 18, 2021 03:21PM
Bring back Intel.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: 'M'mm.....mmm.....good?!....some M1 macs affected by fast user switching screensaver bug......
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 18, 2021 04:57PM
I've had that problem on an Intel Air as well as my M1 Air. It is a Big Sur issue, not a M1 issue. It also isn't restricted only to fast user switching. I've had it happen when external monitors are connected or disconnected while sleeping.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 18, 2021 05:22PM
Hi everyone,

Nearly spilled my coffee laughing at this. Affecting Big Sur and M1 Macs. That's crap. I've had this problem under Mojave on a 2019 iMac 5K 27" and a 2014 iMac 5K 27". And, it only showed up after a recent update or two. Only solution was to turn off the screensaver entirely.

Robert
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: January 18, 2021 07:22PM
This looks to be a Big Sur specific bug affecting Intel & M1 Macs that can’t be prevented by disabling the screensaver.

I previously mentioned hitting this bug here: [forums.macresource.com]

The new thread mentioned in the OP has some workarounds to recover & it looks to be fixed in the new 11.2 Beta.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020