advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
EBay return when seller just sends you their address?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 18, 2021 06:44PM
No shipping slip, just the address. This is not about the shipping cost, which will be minimal, but more about how should I send the item back that will protect me. Signature upon receipt? Insured, of course.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: EBay return when seller just sends you their address?
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 18, 2021 06:54PM
Hopefully, the seller used eBay's official communication channels to authorize the return, and not a direct email. If he or she did not, then kindly ask them to use official eBay channels.

Use tracking, and provide the number to the seller via official eBay return web tool. That should cover you in eBay's eyes, and it can be followed by both of you on the eBay site, too. Signature on receipt is a quaint idea that's ignored and toothless.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 06:56PM by Acer.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 18, 2021 08:00PM
If the value of the order exceeds $750 (including shipping and tax), then I'd use Signature Required, as eBay requires it for sellers. But honestly, Signature Required is currently a joke that isn't actually implemented by any shipper that I've found during the pandemic.

If it's less than $750, than any trackable service will do just fine.

If it's a buyer remorse return (i.e. you just don't want it), then this all seems ok, but if there's a legitimate reason for the return (i.e. not as described), I'd complain to eBay so that the seller provides a label.
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 18, 2021 08:30PM
If you use paypal, they have a great shipping postage generator.

[www.paypal.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: January 19, 2021 01:24PM
mrbigstuff
No shipping slip, just the address. This is not about the shipping cost, which will be minimal, but more about how should I send the item back that will protect me. Signature upon receipt? Insured, of course.

This is not proper procedure and offers you no protection at all.

Ebay explains how to do it: [pages.ebay.com]
Posted by: John B.
Date: January 19, 2021 02:03PM
Agree with Hal. I just had to do a return last week and the seller originally did the "send it to this address, save your receipt, and we'll reimburse you the postage" message. I did it the way Hal's link describes, Ebay prints the postage for you and ties the tracking to the return.

I can't imagine why a seller with thousands of transactions would try the "just send it back to this address" method unless returns tracked through the EBay system impact their seller account/reputation.
Date: January 19, 2021 02:03PM
hal
mrbigstuff

This is not proper procedure and offers you no protection at all.

Ebay explains how to do it: [pages.ebay.com]

I did that. But the seller just responded (by the deadline) with their address.
Date: January 19, 2021 02:42PM
If you followed ebay procedure, then you're fine. Assuming that you're talking about the seller responding WITHIN the ebay return process and not just an independent message.
Date: January 19, 2021 04:39PM
hal
If you followed ebay procedure, then you're fine. Assuming that you're talking about the seller responding WITHIN the ebay return process and not just an independent message.

Yup. All correspondence was within eBay.
Date: January 19, 2021 05:02PM
that's not what I said - sorry - don't have time to spell it out in detail

make sure that you deal within the RETURN PROCESS - that all messages go through THAT and NOT the regular ebay message system. It's not clear which you've done.
Date: January 19, 2021 08:56PM
Well, I did the correspondence by eBay messages, and then I filled out the return item form. That is the only thing I can imagine you mean...?
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 20, 2021 11:39AM
The eBay return process should give you a way to generate a return shipping label, with payment for the label handled through eBay. If you don't see a way to do this, then call eBay for help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020