advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Does this seem like good wording for an eBay listing
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 19, 2021 10:06PM
I'm selling my trusty classic Mac Pro. Anything you'd add, or take away. I'll have pictures with the listing, too.

You are bidding on a used, 1-owner, 2009 Mac Pro flashed to official Apple 2010 BIOS (so it’s identical with a 2010 Mac Pro) . This is my personal Mac Pro, lightly used, with major, major upgrades in anticipation of the audio and video editing that I never did. Overall, the computer is in very good shape with minor scratches and dings as seen in the photos; I blow out any dust regularly. It runs great; it’s smooth, and fast. I’ve never had a problem with it. Machine has been restored to a clean install of Mojave; I can install any other OS if you prefer.

Processor:
Upgraded to 6 core Intel Xeon 3.46GHz CPU, with 256KB L2 cache per core and 12MB of L3 cache, Hyper-Threading Technology. Geekbench 4 score: 3,034 single-core; 13,727 multicore

RAM
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC RAM (PC3-10600) (can be upgraded to 48GB)

Storage:
2 TB of SSD:
1 TB ADATA sx8200 PRO NVME SSD (one of the early, fast ones) in 4x PCIe card, measured with Amorphous Diskmark at 1640MB/s read, 1510MB/s write.
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD connected at full SATA III Bandwidt via an Apricorn Solo PCIe card (with data connector for additional SATA drive)
2TB HD
1TB HD
1TB HD
Internal DVD/CD Player/Writer

Graphics Card
MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 (4GB of RAM, 3 ports: HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4 HD, DVI-D)

Connectivity
USB 3.1 gen2 PCIe Card card rated at 10GBps transfer speed, with 1 USB C port and 1 USB A port (both rated for 10G/s)

Factory original Bluetooth card

Factory original ports:
5 USB 2.0 ports
4 Firewire 800 ports
2 Ethernet ports

Apple-original power cord.

Bonuses:
A PCIe card with 4 SATA III ports
A Firewire 800/USB 2.0 hard drive dock
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does this seem like good wording for an eBay listing
Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 19, 2021 10:50PM
Missing most important thing...
THE TITLE!

"2009 Mac Pro yada yada yada"

that can make or break a auction.

All the wording above will convince me to bid or HOW HIGH I will bid but the TITLE helps me find YOU!

Link to ebay examples

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2021 10:52PM by ArtP.
Date: January 19, 2021 10:54PM
This made me click: Apple Mac Pro 5.1 A1289 Desktop - Upgrade (2020) Monster Computer
Pre-Owned
$2,000.00
or Best Offer
Free shipping
23 watchers
Date: January 19, 2021 11:11PM
Wow, ArtP--that link is really helpful--thanks!
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 20, 2021 12:37AM
Have you thought about listing HERE (For Sale...)? If you got your price, there'd be NO eBay fees and, you could be helping out another forum member.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 20, 2021 07:34AM
jmo, but I'd change "Upgraded to 6 core Intel Xeon 3.46GHz CPU" to
Single 6-core Xeon X5690{?} 3.46GHz CPU...

(guessed @ the CPU model)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: rz
Date: January 20, 2021 07:56AM
ArtP
This made me click: Apple Mac Pro 5.1 A1289 Desktop - Upgrade (2020) Monster Computer
Pre-Owned
$2,000.00
or Best Offer
Free shipping
23 watchers

Dang. I should sell my REAL (not upgraded) 5,1. Mine is a 12-core 3.06GHz with 32GB RAM, has the Inateck USB-3 card, a blu-ray burner, and an OWC Accesior card for the boot drive. Only big difference is my video card is a 3GB AMD Radeon HD 7850. I wonder how much I could get for it?
Date: January 20, 2021 08:17AM
The problem is that when you look, none of this Mac Oros has sold for anywhere near that price.

rz
ArtP
Pre-Owned
$2,000.00
or Best Offer
Free shipping
23 watchers

Dang. I should sell my REAL (not upgraded) 5,1. Mine is a 12-core 3.06GHz with 32GB RAM, has the Inateck USB-3 card, a blu-ray burner, and an OWC Accesior card for the boot drive. Only big difference is my video card is a 3GB AMD Radeon HD 7850. I wonder how much I could get for it?
Date: January 20, 2021 08:59AM
anonymouse1
The problem is that when you look, none of this Mac Oros has sold for anywhere near that price.

Oh, I figured that. I paid $1,250 (which was a great deal) for the machine in 2016. I've added the SSD boot drive, the Accelsior card, the USB3 card, the updated video card and the bluray burner since then. If I can get anywhere close to the $1,250 I paid for the original machine, I'd be happy.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: January 20, 2021 09:05AM
Can it boot into Snow Leopard? Might be a selling point for those with legacy software.
Date: January 20, 2021 12:08PM
neophyte
Can it boot into Snow Leopard? Might be a selling point for those with legacy software.

Mine probably cannot boot into Snow Leopard, but I do have a Parallels VM of Snow Leopard running on it.
Date: January 20, 2021 12:36PM
anonymouse1

rz
ArtP
Pre-Owned
$2,000.00
or Best Offer
Free shipping
23 watchers

Yep, I clicked because seller is in a FANTASY WORLD or included FREE HOOKERS AND BOOZE FOR LIFE with purchase at that price.
Posted by: clay
Date: January 20, 2021 12:57PM
You're unlikely to get full value for those SSDs included in the package. If either of them would be of any value to you going forward, you might opt to keep one or both. Or leave the cheaper one in the MP and keep the other. Just a thought. Good luck!
Posted by: hal
Date: January 20, 2021 02:26PM
ArtP
anonymouse1

rz
ArtP
Pre-Owned
$2,000.00
or Best Offer
Free shipping
23 watchers

Yep, I clicked because seller is in a FANTASY WORLD or included FREE HOOKERS AND BOOZE FOR LIFE with purchase at that price.

That ebay listing is FULL of misrepresentation. I would take one glance at the page ad move on. I liked what you were working on in the OP. Take LOTS of really good pictures - I can't stress how important that is. Show all of the cards, RAM, rear ports etc... Also - as mentioned above - the title is important.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 20, 2021 03:26PM
I saw one selling for 500 today and people were giving the person grief about the price. But I dunno

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2021 03:26PM by mrbigstuff.
Date: January 20, 2021 03:28PM
How do you know people were giving grief around the price?

mrbigstuff
I saw one selling for 500 today and people were giving the person grief about the price. But I dunno
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 20, 2021 04:06PM
anonymouse1

mrbigstuff

Not eBay. On a local swap page
Date: January 20, 2021 04:14PM
Thanks.

mrbigstuff
anonymouse1

mrbigstuff

Not eBay. On a local swap page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020