advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need recommendation for standard base LED bulbs
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 20, 2021 09:15AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Amazon seller for standard base E26, A19 (regular shape) bulbs?
I need three for a new bathroom light fixture.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need recommendation for standard base LED bulbs
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 20, 2021 09:38AM
I think Cree are pretty good. Soraa was my fav but they were more expensive and difficult to find.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 20, 2021 10:16AM
Dimming or not? I have no experience with dimming bulbs but I prefer these non-dimming Philips design, have many in the house:

[www.amazon.com]

40, 60, 75, "100" watt equiv (100s are closer to 90W light output IMO) and 2700K or 5000K options
Date: January 20, 2021 10:23AM
No need for dimming.

I looked in my drawer and I do have one Cree in inventory.
It is pretty old, so I don't know if they still make the exact one or not, but at least I have one to try and see if I like the color of it.

I'll also check out the Phillips.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 20, 2021 10:58AM
Phillips and GE seem to work well for me. I've had bad experiences with the Home Depot Cree bulbs, which all failed due to bad design. Even though they had a 10 year warranty period, they started making the warranty impossible to work. They may have improved.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 20, 2021 12:03PM
Philips and Cree here.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: January 20, 2021 12:46PM
Thanks all.
I will also check out the GE

Posted by: Michael
Date: January 20, 2021 01:21PM
Not Amazon and way more than you said you need, but very cheap Phillips. The last time I bought them, it was a 4-pack and HD sent them for free. I payed $5.56 for the 4; for some reason buying 4 is now expensive, but 16 is cheap.
[www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 20, 2021 01:32PM
If you have access to an IKEA, they have many bulb options not found on Amazon. Their shipping is still cost-effective even if you cannot do pick-up. My most recent order (for rechargeable batteries) was a little slow, but free.
Date: January 20, 2021 01:56PM
sekker
If you have access to an IKEA, they have many bulb options not found on Amazon. Their shipping is still cost-effective even if you cannot do pick-up. My most recent order (for rechargeable batteries) was a little slow, but free.

Ooooo, I forgot about IKEA , thx!

Date: January 20, 2021 01:59PM
Michael
Not Amazon and way more than you said you need, but very cheap Phillips. The last time I bought them, it was a 4-pack and HD sent them for free. I payed $5.56 for the 4; for some reason buying 4 is now expensive, but 16 is cheap.
[www.homedepot.com]

HD is fine. I have some other fixtures I might switch out, so 16 might work.
I can always pick up at the store, if need be.

I was going to order the bulbs with the fixture, but I decided I would wait on the bulbs so I could go ahead and get the fixture order placed.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 20, 2021 02:44PM
Not sure what your eyes/room(s) are like, but in our 4 & 6 bulb light fixtures, I've used several different LED bulbs, in a sophomoric attempt to provide broader spectrum lighting than using all matching bulbs. It seems to work; matched bulbs seem harsh to my old geezer eyes, whereas mixing 'em up in the fixture seems easier on the eyes, except if/when you stare directly at the fixture(s). No specific AMZ recs, as most LED bulbs have come from Costco, and some place called "Home Depot"... not sure if you're familiar w/ 'em cool smiley

Very few of HD bulbs have survived; 2 of the 3 ~$20 100W equiv CREE bulbs still work, but not sure if any of the $10, or less, generics are still around.
==
Date: January 20, 2021 03:00PM
Buzz
Not sure what your eyes/room(s) are like, but in our 4 & 6 bulb light fixtures, I've used several different LED bulbs, in a sophomoric attempt to provide broader spectrum lighting than using all matching bulbs. It seems to work; matched bulbs seem harsh to my old geezer eyes, whereas mixing 'em up in the fixture seems easier on the eyes, except if/when you stare directly at the fixture(s). No specific AMZ recs, as most LED bulbs have come from Costco, and some place called "Home Depot"... not sure if you're familiar w/ 'em cool smiley

Very few of HD bulbs have survived; 2 of the 3 ~$20 100W equiv CREE bulbs still work, but not sure if any of the $10, or less, generics are still around.
==

I might give that mix and match a shot. I was actually wondering how that might work.
This is in a windowless powder room, with a 10’ ceiling I am hoping the three light fixture will give better light than the two light that is there now.

Posted by: davester
Date: January 21, 2021 02:55PM
I'm not sure if it's still true, but Cree (and I think a couple of other makers) sell two lines of bulbs, one of them essentially the same as most bulbs on the market, but one of which has enhanced color rendition though slightly less efficiency for slightly more money. I bought some of these about three years ago. I did some comparison tests and they definitely produce a nicer light.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 22, 2021 09:36AM
I've had pretty good results from Cree purchased at Costco. Very good deals there with incentives from the local power utility. Only wish I chosen higher wattage bulbs, although perhaps they did not have any at that was part of the deal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020