advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AppleCare Repair Fiasco Results in Free iPhone 12 Pro Max!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 20, 2021 03:53PM
Short Story: AppleCare lost my XS Max during repair and replaced with with a new 12 Pro Max!

Long Story: So, back in early September, I sent my XS Max in to AppleCare for repair. There were no Apple Stores near me open at the time, and I didn't want to deal with a third party service provider, so I mailed it in to Apple. It had OLED burn in, and the camera image would often seem a little washed out after focus/exposure lock, and it seemed to randomly reboot more often than it should. Frankly, I didn't expect them to do much with that camera and rebooting, especially since you can't report more than one problem online so I wrote those two on a post it note. And I was prepared to pay the screen deductible if burn-in didn't qualify for free repair.

Since I was planning to keep the phone another year or two, I waited until the end of my AppleCare coverage. After a few days of receiving the phone, the repair status updated to something like "replacement device approved". Great, I figured they were going to ship me a refurb XS Max, which I was fine with.

A couple weeks go by and there were no further updates, so I finally called to get a status update. Well, they couldn't figure out what was going on, but essentially, Apple had lost track of my phone/repair. It's been so long, that I don't actually remember how many calls this initial part took, but essentially, once they realized they couldn't find my phone, it got escalated to a Senior AppleCare Rep who was going to look into it and set up a callback. This Senior Rep was supposed to see the process through until the end, but missed our callback. So, I had to call back, get a new Senior Rep (who also said they would stay with me until the end).

New Senior Rep decided the best option would be to ship out a new replacement device. Problem being, they no longer "sold" the XS Max, so I could pick from the options on their web site, and since I had called after the 12's had been announced, the 11's had also been removed from their web site, so the best option for replacement (in terms of screen size and 512GB capacity) was the 12 Pro Max. But, they have a policy that they can't ship new phones as replacements until they've been on the web site for 90 days. But, AppleCare reps can't schedule callback calls more than 2 months in advance, so we set up a call for 60 days later with the intention of using that call to set up a new call in 30 days. Well, that day rolls around and I don't get a call for a few hours. I'd learned from my previous experience that the time they setup is only a "suggestion" and it's better to wait for the rep to call rather than call-in, because they can't connect you to the rep. Well, when they finally called, it was someone else anyway, and I got transferred to a NEW Senior Rep, who, despite having all the notes on the case didn't know what was going on, and couldn't schedule a new call beyond 2 weeks.

So, they "closed" the case, and I had to call back in January to re-open it. I'm now on my "3rd" Sr Rep (I think) that had to send the case to a special department to research. He also failed to call me back. So I called back trying to get ahold of the 2nd Rep, but no one could connect me back to the 2nd Rep, so I had to keep re-telling my story until I got to a new Senior Rep who actually followed through with me. This rep actually sent me an email I could reply to and communicate directly with him! Imagine that!

It was still a few more days of follow-up emails, calls, research and approvals, but today the new phone arrived unannounced (I was supposed to sign some documents that I still haven't received before they shipped it, but oh well).

I don't know why they didn't just replace the phone originally with a refurb XS Max, but I "limped" along with my iPhone 7 Plus and now happily have a new 12 Pro Max!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AppleCare Repair Fiasco Results in Free iPhone 12 Pro Max!
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 20, 2021 04:07PM
A modern iPhone 'silent upgrade'?!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 20, 2021 04:08PM
Good thing you had that or you would have been without a phone for four+ months.

The whole thing sounds like a cluster and you showed great patience.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 20, 2021 04:14PM
Ombligo
Good thing you had that or you would have been without a phone for four+ months.

This. 4 months and 3 different peeps... would even test my patience... and Ive got tons.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 20, 2021 04:18PM
jdc
Ombligo

This. 4 months and 3 different peeps... would even test my patience... and Ive got tons.

Not me. After a week I’m stopping by Tim’s house.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: January 20, 2021 04:24PM
Ombligo

Yea, my wife kept saying, "What would a normal person do!?!!??!".
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 20, 2021 04:31PM
Time to buy a lottery ticket?
Date: January 20, 2021 04:52PM
anonymouse1
Time to buy a lottery ticket?

Hmm... I think I've used up all my luck on iPhones... The iPhone 11 my wife is using I actually won from a web site giveaway a year ago!
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 21, 2021 07:34AM
I think at this time I would be writing to Tim - start off by telling him that although you are VERY satisfied with the outcome, you feel that the service you received and time it ultimately took is not in keeping of what you expect from Apple.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020