advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
M1 MacBook Air and Zoom: bad sound
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 21, 2021 07:52PM
We have a new MacBook Air M1 with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. I didn't install much software, only Zoom, Coconut battery and I think that's it for now. I plan to add more over time.

But when I did a Zoom call with friends, they complained the sound was bad, it was cutting off. I changed to a MacBook Air from 2013 with only 4 GB RAM and pretty full SSD and it worked fine.

Last night same thing happened. This time I closed Zoom and change to FaceTime on the same M1 machine. It worked fine. So the microphone is OK.

That seems like a Zoom issue. I am curious if anyone else had this issue.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: M1 MacBook Air and Zoom: bad sound
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 21, 2021 08:23PM
No answers, but you might want to open zoom and do a couple of test recordings. That way you can hear for yourself. And perhaps go into Zoom's audio settings to see if the background noise settings make a difference.
Date: January 21, 2021 08:36PM
Thanks, I just did that and the sound seems OK. I guess I can make a meeting with the other laptop later this weekend and go into a different room to see how I hear the sound from the other laptop.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 21, 2021 08:41PM
My wife and I have identical M1 MBAs with 512SSD.

She teaches Zoom lessons to her kindergarten kids all day everyday without an issue. I've done multiple Zoom calls with family without issues. Neither of us have done any changes or tweaks to Zoom settings...

So no, have not had the issue at all.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 21, 2021 08:57PM
Both of our M1 MBAs (8/256) have also been fine with zoom.

Maybe reinstall zoom?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 21, 2021 09:18PM
Maybe reinstall new friends?

emoticon-animal-022

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 21, 2021 09:30PM
Try disabling the option to suppress background noise.

Date: January 21, 2021 09:39PM
Thanks. I use the ARM version of Zoom.
I will do more testing this weekend.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 22, 2021 10:08AM
No issues here with the M1 MBA I have. What I HAVE been noticing is that there are a lot of issues with wireless routers and the newer wireless chipsets being used. Orbi is the WORST. We have thousands of students and staff working remotely and are having nothing but trouble with the ones that have Orbi at home. Something they do makes it incompatible with certain devices unless you turn off WPA2.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 22, 2021 06:27PM
C(-)ris
No issues here with the M1 MBA I have. What I HAVE been noticing is that there are a lot of issues with wireless routers and the newer wireless chipsets being used. Orbi is the WORST. We have thousands of students and staff working remotely and are having nothing but trouble with the ones that have Orbi at home. Something they do makes it incompatible with certain devices unless you turn off WPA2.

I've seen that.

It's the shared SSID for 2.4GHz/5GHz. The Orbi is supposed to negotiate the appropriate connection with the devices, but cheap TVs and smart-devices that support only 2.4GHz can't always join without some fiddling. Devices that support 5GHz connections generally do not have any problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020