advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Latest in SSDs - anyone up on details?
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 24, 2021 01:58PM
Had a 500GB boot drive recently fail, so looking for a replacement. The details on differences are not so easy to parse. Looking at 1TB model (may as well as space, and a 1TB capacity will potentially carry-forward to other uses).

Amazingly, 1TB drives still run close to $90. I purchased a good 1TB drive for $99 a couple years ago.

Looks like Crucial BX-500 and MX-500 series are positively reviewed, and the Samsung 860 EVO series.

Difference between the BX-500 and MX-500?

Others I should consider?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Latest in SSDs - anyone up on details?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 24, 2021 02:10PM
I've notice HD and SSD prices $/GB have been pretty flat for a couple of years. I expected 12TB to be $100 by now.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: January 24, 2021 02:11PM
I'm also thinking about getting a faster M.2

[www.newegg.com]

and used one of these adapters to put this into my nice OWC FW external drive:
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2021 02:13PM by sekker.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 24, 2021 02:13PM
Sekker,

Need details. Internal boot drive for a Macbook Pro? Internal boot drive for a desktop? External boot drive for a desktop? Type and age of machine? The answers make a significant difference in the type of drives.

Robert
Date: January 24, 2021 02:23PM
Robert M
Sekker,

Need details. Internal boot drive for a Macbook Pro? Internal boot drive for a desktop? External boot drive for a desktop? Type and age of machine? The answers make a significant difference in the type of drives.

Robert

This is an original i3 iMac with 12GB RAM and runs High Sierra. I've booted off an external SSD via an OWC Firewire drive, with the potential goal of installing the SSD internally. I have used this for iPhoto photos backup / archive, DVD / BR ripper, and iTunes server.

At this point, all SSDs on the market would be more than fast enough. But this machine is not worth any heavy investment. So maybe getting an M2 drive in a sled for now, getting this machine running again (has a CCC bootable hard drive from the week before it failed plus Time Machine) and then planning for the future - likely an M1 Mini is the plan.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 24, 2021 02:42PM
I think Crucial is good but I heard Samsung is better. I did have a Crucial fail early on (they replaced it with a refurb) and now I have another one with 2 bad "sectors" or "blocks" (I don't recall if they use the same term for HD and SSD or not). Anyway, my preference would be Samsung, then Crucial.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 24, 2021 03:13PM
The NVME will give you more speed if you later upgrade to a USB 3 gen 2/Tbolt machine. If you do that, get a good enclosure-I’m not thrilled with my Orinoco.
Date: January 24, 2021 03:41PM
Sekker,

There is a small premium for an NVME SSD and enclosure but, forthe sake of future proofing, it's worth the extra bucks. You can get a 1TB NVME SSD and box for about $100 to $120. Search the forum for details. I'd avoid Orico boxes.

Robert
Date: January 24, 2021 03:44PM
Robert M
Sekker,

There is a small premium for an NVME SSD and enclosure but, forthe sake of future proofing, it's worth the extra bucks. You can get a 1TB NVME SSD and box for about $100 to $120. Search the forum for details. I'd avoid Orico boxes.

Robert

I came to the same conclusion. The hard part is having this work with my FW case, so ordered the sled I listed above. That might be the only lost cost, will always have good uses for a fast 1TB drive.
Date: January 24, 2021 04:05PM
Sekker,

Agh. Forgot about the firewire issue. Makes things more complicated.

Robert
Posted by: PeterW
Date: January 24, 2021 04:12PM
Forget FW. Why bother with an SSD if you’re going to slow it down to hard drive speed?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 24, 2021 04:21PM
It wouldn't surprise me if an SSD with a high IOPS (not high throughput) number attached to a USB 2 interface outperformed an internal hard drive.
Date: January 24, 2021 04:26PM
Thanks, all.

Refreshed from STF and this thread.

Have a 2000+ Mbps Crucial drive coming plus a sled that will get me back up and running and can move it forward down the road. Will be the first addition to a new M1 Mac mini, but that may be a little while yet.
Date: January 24, 2021 04:28PM
PeterW
Forget FW. Why bother with an SSD if you’re going to slow it down to hard drive speed?

We've been down this road before on MRF; an SSD in a USB2 external drive is a nice improvement over a spinny disk. FW was an easy and nice bump over USB2 on this Mac and I had the FW case already. The long-term goal intention was to go internal SSD, but never got around to doing the iMac surgery. Now I might not if I plan to use this M.2 drive later on.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 25, 2021 06:02AM
space-time
I think Crucial is good but I heard Samsung is better. I did have a Crucial fail early on (they replaced it with a refurb) and now I have another one with 2 bad "sectors" or "blocks" (I don't recall if they use the same term for HD and SSD or not). Anyway, my preference would be Samsung, then Crucial.

For what it's worth, the only SSD that's ever failed on me was a Crucial MX-500.

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: clay
Date: January 25, 2021 08:41AM
In my experience, I've never run into any issues with the dozens of Samsung SSD's I've used personally or put into people's computers. I have had repeated issues with Crucial, Sandisk and other lesser brands, admittedly with much smaller sample sizes.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: January 25, 2021 01:19PM
Running a 500GB 860 EVO SSD in an old Dell Optiplex and it has been rock solid. No M.2 option so had to go with the SATA drive.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 25, 2021 03:06PM
I've had one each of Intel, Crucial, Samsung, Adata, and SK Hynix. Light use for all; none failed.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: January 25, 2021 05:25PM
DP
space-time

For what it's worth, the only SSD that's ever failed on me was a Crucial MX-500.

I have had a couple failures, a Crucial MX-300 (not 500) and also a Kingston way back several years ago.

I am currently using Toshiba, Sandisk, Crucial, Samsung and a Team Group with no failures (yet?). The Team Group is the newest so I have no idea about long term reliability.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020