advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sony to Canon: We'll be using the "1" designation now, thank you very much
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 27, 2021 08:18AM

Canon has been using the 1 designation for their flagship camera since since 1989 with the simply yet boldly named EOS 1. It was a bold departure from the past with the new EF autofocus system. Canon abandoned the manual focus FD lens and went all in to take on Nikon's dominance in the SLR market. The Canon 1 series has evolved from peak 35mm film SLR to what is now the 1DX III, a dominant force in sports/action photography.

Now Sony is putting Canon on notice that they intend to dominate the professional space for M-ILC cameras. Sony has put Canon on notice with the $6500 Sony A1 featuring an impressive feature set. The feature set and naming scheme, the 1, seems to be completely intentional. Sony already has the A9 series as the sports/action series but it wasn't enough of an exclamation point. Every single specification on the A1 is designed to outdo the Canon R5 feature for feature. A1 is designed to let Canon know that the R5 and R6 were nice but Sony isn't going to sit idly by. It will be interesting to see how Canon responds because they seem to be caught flat footed at the moment.

[www.dpreview.com]

Sony has announced the Alpha 1, a fast, high-res 50MP camera capable of shooting at 30 fps with no blackout. It is capable of 8K video.

It uses a stacked CMOS sensor and a pair of new Bionz XR processors, allowing silent, no-blackout images at up to 30 fps. Despite having twice as many pixels as the a9, the a1 promises to have 1.5x less rolling shutter. This allows flash sync at up to 1/200 sec with the electronic shutter or 1/400 sec using the mechanical shutter.

The a1 can shoot 8K video at up to 30p using its full width. This uses all its horizontal pixels, capturing 8.6K footage and downsizing it to 8K to provide improved resolution. 8K footage can be captured in up to 10-bit 4:2:0 using the XAVC HS format. The camera uses a similar heat-dissipating design to the a7S III, allowing it to record 8K for up to 30 minutes, if the temperature warnings are set to their most tolerant setting.

New 50.1-megapixel (approx., effective) full-frame stacked Exmor RS™ CMOS image sensor in combination with an upgraded BIONZ XR™ imaging processing engine with eight times more processing power
Blackout- free continuous shooting at up to 30 frames per second[ii]
Fast sensor readout enables up to 120 AF/AE calculations per second[iii], double the speed of the Alpha 9 II, even during 30fps continuous shooting
Bright and large 0.64-type 9.44 million-dot (approx.) OLED Quad-XGA electronic viewfinder with the world’s first[iv] refresh rate of 240 fps
Silent, vibration-free electronic shutter
World’s first[v] anti-flicker shooting with both mechanical and electronic shutter
Electronic shutter flash sync[vi] up to 1/200 sec. for the first time in the Alpha™ series
World’s fastest[v] mechanical shutter flash sync up to 1/400 sec.
8K 30p[vii] 10-bit 4:2:0 XAVC HS video recording with 8.6K oversampling for extraordinary detail and resolution, in addition to 4K 120p[viii] 10-bit 4:2:2 movie shooting capabilities
Wide dynamic range of 15 stops for stills[ix] and 15+ stops for video[x]
Improved Real-time Eye AF (autofocus) for humans and animals, and new Real-time Eye AF for birds[xi], as well as Real-time Tracking that automatically maintains accurate focus
5-axis optical in-body image stabilization for a 5.5-step[xii] shutter speed advantage
S-Cinetone color matrix as seen in FX9 and FX6 to deliver expressive cinematic look
Professional workflow support with the industry’s fastest[xiii] built-in Wi-Fi, SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps, 1000BASE-T Ethernet and more

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sony to Canon: We'll be using the "1" designation now, thank you very much
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 27, 2021 08:49AM
Maybe you shoulda waited for this one, eh PriceCube?

To be fair, it is the Alpha-1.

But 15 stop dynamic range on the video! 10-bit 4K @ 120fps, 4:2:2!

Have to read up on the internal storage specs.
Date: January 27, 2021 08:53AM
mikebw
Maybe you shoulda waited for this one, eh PriceCube?

To be fair, it is the Alpha-1.

But 15 stop dynamic range on the video! 10-bit 4K @ 120fps, 4:2:2!

Have to read up on the internal storage specs.

I had to take one for the team.

Seriously though, I am not in the $6500 for a camera body market these days. One can buy 2 Nikon D850 with the vertical grip and battery pack that pushed it to 9fps. While 30fps sounds lovely, I think I can still get the job done with 9fps.

If a high end sports publication wants to hire me and fund the A1, I would use it.

Down the road, the Sony A1 looks like a lovely alternative to Nikon should Nikon go the way of the dodo.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2021 08:55AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 27, 2021 09:40AM
A1 @ $6500 vs R5 @ $3900 isn’t really a fair or valid comparison. But Canon’s problem is that they were probably going to put a 20-something MP sensor in their eventual “R1”. I wonder if this will have them rethink that strategy and put the R5’s sensor in instead.
Date: January 27, 2021 09:44AM
Gareth
A1 @ $6500 vs R5 @ $3900 isn’t really a fair or valid comparison. But Canon’s problem is that they were probably going to put a 20-something MP sensor in their eventual “R1”. I wonder if this will have them rethink that strategy and put the R5’s sensor in instead.

Your points are all valid. The Sony A1 will have limited appeal. Sony already has the A7R III and IV for high resolution. The A1 is meant to be a statement camera to let Canon know that Sony means business. It's the "whatever you can do, I can do better" camera.

Here is a visual representation of what Sony just did to Canon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2021 10:06AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 27, 2021 12:06PM
The R5 isn’t Canon’s flagship even if it’s their best camera in many ways. Their mirrorless flagship doesn’t yet exist. Ditto the Z7; does anyone really think that’s all Nikon wants to accomplish?

So it’s odd Sony would consider the 5D line’s replacement their target. After all, they missed an opportunity to name it A7 xxxx IX or whatever. Just name them ALL “A7,” that’ll work, right?

Canon smartly began with lenses, as Nikon did. After that, getting people to upgrade cameras is cake.

Canon’s flagship of a modular body system was the F1 from 1971 and later, New-F1 that deckeda covets. The auto focus stuff wasn’t the beginning of their fight with Nikon.
Date: January 27, 2021 12:08PM
Didn’t Canon already put 30-50MP sensors in the 5D lineup?
Date: January 27, 2021 12:29PM
deckeda
The R5 isn’t Canon’s flagship even if it’s their best camera in many ways. Their mirrorless flagship doesn’t yet exist. Ditto the Z7; does anyone really think that’s all Nikon wants to accomplish?

So it’s odd Sony would consider the 5D line’s replacement their target. After all, they missed an opportunity to name it A7 xxxx IX or whatever. Just name them ALL “A7,” that’ll work, right?

Canon smartly began with lenses, as Nikon did. After that, getting people to upgrade cameras is cake.

Canon’s flagship of a modular body system was the F1 from 1971 and later, New-F1 that deckeda covets. The auto focus stuff wasn’t the beginning of their fight with Nikon.

"The R5 isn’t Canon’s flagship even if it’s their best camera in many ways. Their mirrorless flagship doesn’t yet exist. Ditto the Z7; does anyone really think that’s all Nikon wants to accomplish?
Yes, the R5 is not the flagship for Canon, The 1DX Mark III is. It is marketed as a "Hybrid camera" that has features of SLR and M-ILC.
"
The Z7 would be fine of Nikon had a better idea of how to handle AF for M-ILC. This is is Nikon's biggest weakness. They can use Sony's chips but they don't license the AF technology.

"So it’s odd Sony would consider the 5D line’s replacement their target. After all, they missed an opportunity to name it A7 xxxx IX or whatever. Just name them ALL “A7,” that’ll work, right?'
Sony's A7 naming structure for 3 lines of cameras is RIDICULOUS.

'Canon smartly began with lenses, as Nikon did. After that, getting people to upgrade cameras is cake.
'
Yes, Canon built on some ideas they developed in the FD line. The idea to abandon the FD mount for the EF mount with an all new system was extremely bold. Canon decided AF motors should be customized to the lens and Nikon tried to do AF with the old mount and pin motor one fits all motor. Canon reaped the rewards of this move until Sony got a leg up with M-ILC while Canon tried to protect their DSLR line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2021 12:30PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: January 27, 2021 01:29PM
If I were staring from scratch right now, I would probably opt for 2 Canon R5 over 1 Sony A1. I am having a tough time imagining editing through a pile of sports pics at 30 frames per second shooting. The R5 has 12fps mechanical and 20 fps electronic shutter vs. A1 10fps mechanical and 30fps electronic. Not all lighting situations are great for electronic shutters.

Posted by: Z
Date: January 27, 2021 05:21PM
The bigger and better version:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2021 05:22PM by Z.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 27, 2021 06:23PM
pRICE cUBE
If I were staring from scratch right now, I would probably opt for 2 Canon R5 over 1 Sony A1. I am having a tough time imagining editing through a pile of sports pics at 30 frames per second shooting.

as a retired Photo Editor I would end up killing someone. At 30fps, your not shooting photos, your shooting video.

Based upon my experience, a typical sport shooter (I'm looking at you Price) could easily be dumping more than 10000 images from a football game. That is completely unworkable.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: January 27, 2021 08:46PM
Ombligo
pRICE cUBE
If I were staring from scratch right now, I would probably opt for 2 Canon R5 over 1 Sony A1. I am having a tough time imagining editing through a pile of sports pics at 30 frames per second shooting.

as a retired Photo Editor I would end up killing someone. At 30fps, your not shooting photos, your shooting video.

Based upon my experience, a typical sport shooter (I'm looking at you Price) could easily be dumping more than 10000 images from a football game. That is completely unworkable.

I can neither confirm nor deny that remark.

Date: January 27, 2021 10:01PM
Ah, spray and pray. OK if you’ve got the time to invest, miserable if you do not. Better to think like an artist: never let anyone see your crap. Curate. More angles. Less versions.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 28, 2021 04:13AM
deckeda
Ah, spray and pray. OK if you’ve got the time to invest, miserable if you do not. Better to think like an artist: never let anyone see your crap. Curate. More angles. Less versions.

Which is why Photo Mechanic is craved by high-volume photographers.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020