advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
senior cat and joint health
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 27, 2021 09:26PM
I have a cat thats turning 16 years old in a couple of months. He's healthy for his age but it still pains me to see him suffer the indignities of time.

The primary item of my attention is his arthritis. He always loved to jump up to high places but has entirely become a ground dwelling creature about 2 years ago. He went to the vet yesterday and she confirmed that he's likely suffering from arthritis and recommended a supplement. His primary method of getting on laps is to paw at legs until picked up but he seems to get up and down from the bed without trouble.

I would have no problem buying the supplement if I thought it did something. I'm kind of surprised that a doctor would recommend something like this although it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people liked it. I'm annoyed that I feel torn between scientific proof and doing something beneficial for my pet.

I have something in my amazon cart although I'm on the fence as to whether I'll buy it.

Has anyone had success with supplements to treat arthritis in pets or people? Perhaps thats a good starting point.

----

I should point out that I've faithfully hoped that every vet appointment would result in my cat being declared immortal and I'm disappointed this hasn't happened. He deserves it, he's an exceptionally well socialized cat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2021 09:31PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: senior cat and joint health
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 27, 2021 10:08PM
Glucosamine and chondroitin? Maybe collagen, too?

They're placebos. Never been any real studies on any of 'em in cats and once a joint breaks down, there's no food-product that's going to regenerate it.

Funny thing about placebos. Sometimes they sort of work. People expect them to work and convey that to their pets and their pets act like they feel better. So, might as well try some.

Could also try a fish oil supplement. Omega 3 has shown some anti-inflammatory effects that might have some pain-relief benefit.

But an actual medical treatment would be nonsteroidal pain medications.

Posted by: bfd
Date: January 28, 2021 12:07AM
CBD.

While it may not affect the OA, it could at least dull some of the pain. We've got a cat with a tumor surrounding his large intestine. Makes it hard to drop a loaf at times. When he's having a tough day, we do the CBD. It doesn't knock him out or anything like that, but it does seem to at least calm him down enough to be able to rest. Vet recommended it…
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 28, 2021 08:21AM
Our senior kitty takes the Cosequin for cats. Also recommended by his kitty only vet. He was having trouble jumping up on the couch and a slight limp walking We did notice a difference in his ability to move and jump, after he started taking them. We cut back his dose for a while and he seemed to get worse, so we upped it again, and he seemed to improve. We are now back on the once a day routine.
Maybe it is a placebo, or he just got better, but he does move and jump much better now. No limping and he can get up on the couch pretty easily. He doesn't jump up on the counter like he did years ago, but I did not expect a miracle. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rz
Date: January 28, 2021 09:25AM
Been there, but can't offer any suggestions re: medicinal cures. However, one thing we did to help our elderly kitties was to put a small step stool next to our bed to help them jump up and down from the bed. It certainly helped them be able to get to their favorite place as they got older. We also have a buffet in the dining room window where they all like to be able to look outside. We've had a chair right next to it for years to help.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 28, 2021 09:30AM
.....cat and marij*ana.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 28, 2021 10:11AM
A close friend uses CDB for her elderly dog. I saw the difference it made for the animal. How much for your cat? this may help -- [boulderholisticvet.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 28, 2021 04:54PM
There have been a few studies of Glucosamine in dogs.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

It's a common supplement for older horses. My family doctor recommended it for his patients after reading studies of its use on horses. And he uses it on his horses.

Cat studies are limited.

I give it to our older dogs, and they do walk better since I started a couple of years ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020