advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best LED Light Strips for under kitchen cabinet that work with Alexa / HomeKit and Home Assistant
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 29, 2021 06:19PM
Ok, doing a small kitchen remodel (New Appliances, Back Splash and Paint). Our electrician is coming this week to assess the electrical situation (removing drywall and reworking the 3 way strips and all the plugs so our backsplash looks nice). We currently have halogen puck lights under the cabinets that we would like to replace with LED Strips. One switch controls all the under cabinet lights and the transformers are hidden in the kitchen cabinets and "plugged" into outlets that are controlled by a light switch (with a dimmer). So, I'm thinking in order to do low voltage LED lights I need to have the dimmer removed (Not sure but I'm assuming it might kill the transformers for the LED's) and then basically plug in the LED transformer (in my case I will need three). My question is "which brands" are you guys using that can be controlled by Alexa and eventually Apple HomeKit or even home assistant?

RGB with individual White LED's work best?

Meross has some that look like they would work and Home Assistant if I ever go that rough you have tons of options to make these work.

[www.amazon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best LED Light Strips for under kitchen cabinet that work with Alexa / HomeKit and Home Assistant
Date: January 29, 2021 06:35PM
Do I want RGB+W ...

[www.amazon.com]

or RGB+CCT controller in order to get RGB Warm White and Bright White.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2021 07:14PM by spacescape.
Re: Best LED Light Strips for under kitchen cabinet that work with Alexa / HomeKit and Home Assistant
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 29, 2021 08:12PM
Don't get Alexa enabled light strips. instead, get either a smart outlet/switch/plug for the transformer to plug/wire into. In that way you can get any light strip you want at a lower price point with the same functionality.

My set up [in reverse]: light strip - dimmer - transformer - TP Link smart plug - outlet.

one thing I did discover is that the rotary dial dimmer works better in such a setup than a mini-touch dimmer. Neither will dim well via voice command, but the manual dial is a set and forget while the touch always came on at full power and then had to be manually dimmed, which defeated the purpose of having it smart.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 29, 2021 08:38PM
What ombligo said.
But there was a wireless 16’ set on Amazon for $11 the other day.
That was a lightning deal. $14 now. LED Strip Lights, 16.4ft RGB Color Changing Light Strip Kit with Remote and Control Box for Room,Bedroom, TV, Cupboard Decoration, Bright 5050 LEDs, Easy Installation [www.amazon.com]

wireless not Wi-fi.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2021 08:48PM by Carm.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 29, 2021 08:40PM
I was going to say what Ombligo said - Go with a smart switch and a dimming transformer and an led strip. You end up buying the components ala carte but get better quality a the ability to swap parts if you want to use a different automation system.

If you're interested, I'll try to dig up my notes.

Posted by: Carm
Date: January 29, 2021 08:47PM
WiFi Smart Led Strip Lights 50ft, 2 Rolls of 25ft Works with Alexa, TJOY Color Changing RGB Led Light Strips, 16 Million Colors Phone App Controlled Sync to Music Led Lights for Bedroom [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 29, 2021 10:01PM
....when stripping......most prefer to do it in the dark.....no light......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 30, 2021 01:30AM
spacescape
We currently have halogen puck lights under the cabinets that we would like to replace with LED Strips…My question is "which brands" are you guys using that can be controlled by Alexa and eventually Apple HomeKit or even home assistant?

Nanoleaf Essentials:

[nanoleaf.me]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 30, 2021 05:00AM
I made my own. I just used some cheap white light strips so they're only two wire. I also bought some small aluminum channel. I mounted all the channel, then mounted the light strips inside. I had four locations. Then jumped between them with some extra wire. So it loops up through cabinets and all the way back to an over the sink light socket where I installed a screw in receptacle so it could be controlled by the light switch. It worked surprisingly well. I did have a little flicker so I thought perhaps my transformer was too small so I bought a larger one. But before I could install it, the flicker went away so who knows. I'm just jazzed it still works. The wife LOVES it.

I put them in an aluminum channel b/c it comes with a diffuser. And also to just dress it up b/c our cabinets don't have "overhangs". So anything you attach under the cabinet is exposed to line of sight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2021 05:02AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 30, 2021 07:10AM
Not 'smart', use with smart outlet as others suggested!
bezosville
4.5 Stars w/ 900 Reviews
Led Strip Lights 32.8ft TECKIN Remote Control Waterproof RGB Led Light Strips (IP44 rating)
$11.99

Also sold as a 16.4ft kit for $8.99
(only 1 spool LEDs & 2 jumpers)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2021 07:13AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 30, 2021 11:52AM
Remodels are expensive to do, and usually long-term investments meant to look good for a long time. Why use trendy lighting?

Do they still make the LED strip lighting that comes not on a roll but in a fixture? Those are perfect for under-cabinet lighting, despite the lack of dimming and color-changing ability to recreate the local adult entertainment, strip club aesthetic.

1) you want a color temp/CRI that's decent
2) you want even coverage

You will rarely want a dimmer if those 2 issues are taken care of. Or I could be wrong, and the kitchen needs to regularly be changed into Party Room, Mood Room, Work Room, Stripper Room, Low-Resale-Value Room.
Date: January 30, 2021 04:40PM
Thanks. For the most part these will be "white" in a channel (so it looks finished). Just think it would be nice to be able to "tweak" the whites to make them a little warmer than normal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020