advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Driving from Wisconsin to Wyoming in June
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 30, 2021 10:23PM
Have a wedding to go to in Wyoming in June. I have over a month of vacation to use, probably looking at using at least 2 full weeks off. Haven't had any days off since March, so I am due up for a long one.

I'm just starting to get into the planning phase and deciding what to do. Not the least of which is to tent camp, buy/rent an RV, AirBNB, Hotels, etc. but also need to figure out the route and what to see. Will be my wife and I and our 8 year old daughter. We camp a lot already, I have no qualms about towing an RV with the truck. Also no issues with buying an RV, using it for the trip and selling it if it makes sense to go that route.

Along with that, I need to figure out what to do and what routes to take. I'd prefer to go back a different way then we go out and throwing some extra miles on isn't going to bother me.

Anyone have suggestions on scenic routes to take, what to see, etc? I know a few people here RV full time.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Driving from Wisconsin to Wyoming in June
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 30, 2021 10:36PM
FWIW, I'd go north, and swing through Glacier, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone. A bit out of the way, but you've got the time!

Tent camping is cheapest and most hassle. RV'ing is not cheap, but has most flexibility. AirBnB/hotel is the easiest, but probably most expensive.

There are no wrong decisions here!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 30, 2021 10:43PM
Ooh... the Great Family Adventure! I’d go with whatever method involves the lowest risk and highest level of satisfaction. My parents would load us all in the family station wagon for epic journeys from Missouri to Utah, camping all the way. With side trips to areas of interest to my Geologist father. Epic childhood memories.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 30, 2021 10:51PM
Yes; possibly Devil’s Tower, the Badlands, Thermopolis, Wy., and Jackson Hole/Grand Teton.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 30, 2021 11:07PM
The best part of Wyoming is leaving it for Utah.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: testcase
Date: January 30, 2021 11:10PM
Are you a AAA member? If so, call and speak to one of their Trip Advisors (if not a member, consider joining for a year). AAA does great routing and, since they've been doing this planning for decades, they're VERY good at it. AAA members can get a "TripTik" (printed maps specific to YOUR trip) with DETAILED routing instructions. AAA will be aware of major construction or other issues that may be encountered. AAA membership also offers numerous discounts and specials. Your trip can exceed 1000 miles EACH way so, your looking at at least two LONG days of driving each way. A rented RV could be a nice way to do said trip. Class-C RVs are commonly used as rental units and are not too difficult to drive (they often use Ford F450 or their equivalent. Any prior experience driving an RV would be a definite plus. If you decide to go the RV route as well as join AAA, make sure you get AAA's RV level membership. That way, you'll be covered should you need road service. Sadly, all of your planning as well the the event you're going to could be cancelled if Covid spikes again. Keep that in mind if you need to rent an RV or other vehicle.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 31, 2021 08:42AM
Spearfish canyon is a fun and scenic hour or so of driving that you can prolly fit in along the way.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 31, 2021 08:57AM
That is vacation time, so reservations are a must! Doesn't matter if it is an RV, camping, or motels. We traveled that route by car twice (2012 & 2019). First trip started in October with no reservations and worked out great. Second trip started in September, and finding a place to spend the night was sometimes tricky, especially near Bryce Canyon. We did not go to Yellowstone on the second trip, but that area was busy then.

The places I would visit again for the second or third time are the SD Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone, Zion, Garden of the Gods, Grand Canyon. You don't need to bother with the backside of Mt Rushmore. That is pure fictionsmiley-laughing001

We scheduled one site per day in most cases. Some required most of a day for travel. Places to consider that might be outside your two week allotment are Glacier Park(and others in that area), Carlsbad, Lake Powell, Petrified Forest. There are also many lesser-known marvels in that general area of Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and beyond. Our first trip was 4 weeks and 6,000 miles from Michigan. Our second trip was 6 weeks and 10,000 miles. The US is a very BIG and very Beautiful country. The people...you couldn't ask for nicer neighbors.

C(-)ris
Have a wedding to go to in Wyoming in June. I have over a month of vacation to use, probably looking at using at least 2 full weeks off. Haven't had any days off since March, so I am due up for a long one.

I'm just starting to get into the planning phase and deciding what to do. Not the least of which is to tent camp, buy/rent an RV, AirBNB, Hotels, etc. but also need to figure out the route and what to see. Will be my wife and I and our 8 year old daughter. We camp a lot already, I have no qualms about towing an RV with the truck. Also no issues with buying an RV, using it for the trip and selling it if it makes sense to go that route.

Along with that, I need to figure out what to do and what routes to take. I'd prefer to go back a different way then we go out and throwing some extra miles on isn't going to bother me.

Anyone have suggestions on scenic routes to take, what to see, etc? I know a few people here RV full time.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2021 09:13AM by modelamac.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: January 31, 2021 09:57AM
In the summer of 1971 the Crazy Horse Memorial was not much more than an idea. Some photographs of the mountain painted with an outline of the finished project let folks see the vision.

It's on my modest bucket list of places to re-visit, to see what it looks like now.

Todd's patient board
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 31, 2021 04:45PM
Thanks All! A great start, I do already have AAA and didn't even think about them. Honestly, I'm probably their perfect customer...I don't know why I pay for it, I never use it for anything and my car insurance already provides roadside.

I doubt COVID is going to stop the wedding from happening. It is outdoors and Wyoming is open for business as usual. Don't think they did much different this past year, other than chains or corporations that applied nationwide restrictions to all their stores/offices/businesses.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2021 04:47PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 01, 2021 06:41AM
Popup camper. First overnight in the Badlands (don’t bother with the Mitchell Corn Palace although the city has the last conveniences for awhile). I think the Chamberlain McDonald’s is the most isolated-from-other-McDonald’s in the States. Nothing much between Chamberlain and the Badlands except Wall Drug which is worth a walk through. Next head for Rapid City via Hwy 44. Last time I went that way we had to wade through a buffalo herd. From Rapid City head into the Black Hills where you can easily spend a couple of days or more and not get bored. A stop at Devil’s Tower is good, then on to your destination. If you are going past the Big Horn Mountains, there is a nice unsaved road through the area. There is also an observatory you can drive up to but not enter. The Big Horns are the highest mountains between the east coast and the Rockies. A lot depends on your destination in Wyoming and if you care to go further west to Yellowstone.

A second route back? Really, there is nothing much on any route east-west between I-80 and I-94 (I’ve driven them all). Just head back on I-90.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: February 01, 2021 03:14PM
If you do end up heading into Wyoming around the I-80 route, consider the drive on Chief Joseph Hwy and into Cooke City and on into Yellowstone. Fantastic. Plan on several days in Yellowstone, it is big and beautiful. It is a long way to get up to Glacier or points north. If you go South out of Yellowstone, can check out the Tetons, Jackson Hole. The Big Horn mountains are also pretty, but the rest of the state, not so much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020