The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: Making my Garage Door Smart
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 31, 2021 01:36PM
FU: [forums.macresource.com]

Bought: [www.meross.com]

Received the smart opener less than 24 hours ago. Went to Home Depot for some double sided tape, and this morning I used the tape and some appropriate size clear plastic hangers to stretch and install the magnetic sensor wire safety and firmly on the screw drive mechanism to the door. Also used zip ties to clean up the rest of that cable, and to clean up the cable that goes to the two screws that share the connection to the open button located at the back entrance to garage.

I ordered the MyQ and the Meross. I thought I wanted Amazon Aleaxa compatibility and my reading I thought MyQ might be little more programming to get it to work, so Meross.

It is Fantastic. Sat in my backroom, went to my Eero Mesh system and turned off 5.0 for 15 minutes. Then did the connect to to the units wifi, and followed directions, to then connect to my Eero Mesh wifi using password, as is typical for all these smart items.

I like the door icon on the Meross app that opens and closes. I like the notification my iPhone gets when door opens or closes.

I didn't think I would want to use Alexa to open the Garage door, but I wanted that option to be as easy as possible if needed. So somewhere in the history of Meross, Alexa has allowed them to setup a SKILL, but it requires a 4 digit code to open, (But not to close) Which is not a big deal.

After choosing the correct skill in Alexa it works great.

This morning I had my hands full, and on the way outside, and I can say Alexa open garage, and it will say, what is the CODE, and I say the code, and it then says "Garage is Opening", and then it opens and my phone DINGS, indicating that the garage is open. And I place the items in my arms in the garage.

I ordered the Meross for $39.99, then saw I had overlooked a coupon for $10 off, so I called, and she gave me $10 coupon to use for Amazon purchased items. So haven't seen the $10 yet, as I haven't ordered anything amazon, just 3rd parties, but that was nice to get it for 29.99 + Tax and Free Shipping with Prime.

Love this thing and appreciate all the suggestions given to me.

Also, put the Meross app on the wifes iPhone so she has ability to open, when needed.

Stay safe, Wife and I have appointments for next Friday and Saturday for 1st covid shots, Then 2 weeks later for the follow up.

Glad we are getting more people vaccinated. Be Good all.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: Making my Garage Door Smart
Posted by: rz
Date: January 31, 2021 03:07PM
I have a MyQ, but haven't installed it yet. Good thing, as we just bought a new house and are moving soon. New house has two garage doors though, so I might need to buy a second one.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 31, 2021 03:17PM
rz
I have a MyQ, but haven't installed it yet. Good thing, as we just bought a new house and are moving soon. New house has two garage doors though, so I might need to buy a second one.

The MyQ is not very Alexa friendly. If I had known, I would not have purchased and installed mine.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 31, 2021 08:49PM
Will it remind you that the garage door is open past a certain time? Having it trigger on local sunset would be nice.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 31, 2021 09:08PM
Yes there is an overtime feature, if it is open past a certain length of time , that you can set. or / and you can set a time at night that if its open it will remind you to close it. And if you want you can set it to close at that time by itself, or not.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 31, 2021 11:10PM
I have MyQ. It was installed by the previous owner, not my choice. Works fine. I do not understand why integration with Alexa is so important for some people. It works with HomeKit and Google Assistant. I use neither of them. Just the App. Works fine. I set it up to close automatically at night and after I leave for work.

Edit: strange that it does not work with Alexa, since it works with Amazon key. No, I don’t need their discount for access to my garage. No thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2021 11:12PM by space-time.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 31, 2021 11:42PM
MyQ does not work fully with google assistant either.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 01, 2021 12:21AM
I have MyQ. I am not impressed with MyQ. Its currently working well with home assistant but if that changes I might replace it.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 01, 2021 11:39AM
I do not understand why integration with Alexa is so important for some people.

Whether or not it is so important to anybody, I have no idea.

But so many more smart devices are Alexa and Google compatible than are HomeKit compatible.

It's probably likely that any if not most third-party HK compatible devices are Alexa compatible, that it's a two- or three-fer.

And the last thing I want is to have most any smart device accessible only via an app.

Having an Apple Watch makes a lot of previous 'Phone use unnecessary, but using voice control is definitely more convenient than accessing an app.

And for my money, Alexa has been better at voice control than Siri, especially if HomePod Siri tries to help.

I wish that wasn't the case, but that's what I live with.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020