advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Snow should be measured by weight, not by volume
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 31, 2021 02:17PM
Last weekend we got 6" of snow and I managed to shovel my driveway and walk in about an hour and a half and was pleased that the task was completed so quickly. Last night we got about 4" and its @#$%& heavy! I'm not sure how my long sidewalk got so much snowplow pushed snow but its like end of driveway work for a LONG WAY. First time I've seen this.

I don't expect the weather report to account for the snow plow but stating inches of snow is meaningless.

Also, when I was reading electric snowblower reviews I saw lot of "cleared 6 inch snowfall without missing a beat!" and "could barely push through 3 inches of snow!" - so maybe we're not using the right units to measure snowfall.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Snow should be measured by weight, not by volume
Posted by: srf1957
Date: January 31, 2021 02:25PM
It's called SWE . Snow water equivalent
Posted by: rz
Date: January 31, 2021 03:08PM
So glad I moved from the northeast 26 years ago...
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 31, 2021 03:14PM
We will pay for not having snow with sweltering heat in the summer, but shoveling snow is a skill I never want to need.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 31, 2021 03:19PM
I'm noted your weakness, both of you. And will think of you when I'm outside in the middle of the day between may and september.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 31, 2021 03:23PM
mattkime
I'm noted your weakness, both of you. And will think of you when I'm outside in the middle of the day between may and september.

smiley-laughing001

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 31, 2021 04:37PM
mattkime
Last weekend we got 6" of snow and I managed to shovel my driveway and walk in about an hour and a half and was pleased that the task was completed so quickly. Last night we got about 4" and its @#$%& heavy! I'm not sure how my long sidewalk got so much snowplow pushed snow but its like end of driveway work for a LONG WAY. First time I've seen this.

I don't expect the weather report to account for the snow plow but stating inches of snow is meaningless.

Also, when I was reading electric snowblower reviews I saw lot of "cleared 6 inch snowfall without missing a beat!" and "could barely push through 3 inches of snow!" - so maybe we're not using the right units to measure snowfall.

Yep, It took me 2 hours to do my driveway this morning, took me 30 minutes last weekend. Was great snowman and sledding snow though. Daughter spent 2 hours sledding at the park today.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2021 04:38PM by C(-)ris.
Date: January 31, 2021 04:47PM
C(-)ris
Yep, It took me 2 hours to do my driveway this morning, took me 30 minutes last weekend. Was great snowman and sledding snow though. Daughter spent 2 hours sledding at the park today.

I'm holding out to get an electric snow blower. There was an EGO model on sale for $450 recently that I was tempted by. (similar to [www.acehardware.com] ) I don't think it would do much to last night's snowfall. I'll hold out for their two stage model - [www.acehardware.com]

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 31, 2021 04:50PM
C(-)ris
mattkime

The thick, heavy, wet type of snow that I'm told is called "Spring Snow" in places with more than one type is pretty much the only kind we get down here. It falls from the sky not in individual flakes but in clumps that, if it's quiet outside, you can actually hear make a very soft "thup" sound as they land. It's great for making lethal snowballs or snowmen, but on the roads it packs down to a thick layer of slush that turns to a thick layer of ice overnight. Fortunately the shoveling of sidewalks and driveways is not required here.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 31, 2021 05:20PM
I've been using the Toro 1800 electric snowblower for probably 15 years and I've been really happy with it. That said the snow we received last week was very heavy and the Toro struggled to remove 4". Other snow falls it has removed up to 8" with no problem.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: January 31, 2021 05:44PM
davemchine
I've been using the Toro 1800 electric snowblower for probably 15 years and I've been really happy with it. That said the snow we received last week was very heavy and the Toro struggled to remove 4". Other snow falls it has removed up to 8" with no problem.

Thats my worry - I don't really need a snow blower for the light stuff. So I don't really want a snow blower but if I do it needs to be reasonably powerful.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 31, 2021 06:15PM
....yeah, inches aren't everything.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 31, 2021 06:29PM
Eskimos have a hundred words for snow. I only have two. Snow. And smiley-talk034
Date: January 31, 2021 07:15PM
.....Smilla's.......Sense of Snow......

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 31, 2021 09:12PM
mattkime
davemchine

Thats my worry - I don't really need a snow blower for the light stuff. So I don't really want a snow blower but if I do it needs to be reasonably powerful.

I haven't had one in the 6 years I've been living here. The once or twice a year I wish I had one I either tough it out and spend 3-4 hours shoveling or hire someone to do it. Haven't had to hire out yet.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: January 31, 2021 09:25PM
....just you weight......it will happen one day......

Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 31, 2021 09:34PM
What is this "snow" of which thee speaks?

I am not familiar with needing to shovel anything from one's driveways in these parts....

OTOH, lo those many years ago, back when the body could ski, the differences in snow weight was readily evident.
Having someone else remove it, when needed, sounds much more appealing than doing it oneself.
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 31, 2021 09:38PM
I have never regretted having a Diesel powered high torque snowblower, especially to do the plow push-up at the end of our drive as well as my many neighbors’ drives. However, it certainly spews a lot more pollution than an electric would. My blower uses about a gallon of fuel per hour and I can do a drive in about 10 minutes - unless it is particularly heavy or particularly light.

But this year we are in south Texas avoiding Minnesota winter. Our neighbor across the street is keeping an eye on our home, picking up our mail, etc. In order to more easily detect if anyone has approached the house for nefarious purposes, we asked that they not snowblow our drive in order to easily see footprints (BTW, they have a nice, new snowblower). Another (younger) neighbor and coworker of my wife lives four houses down but around the corner. He runs almost daily by our house, is very environmentally atune to the point of not having a snowblower for his somewhat smaller drive. He noticed the lack of activity at our house but figured correctly that we were gone over winter break. Then the semester started (they both teach remotely). Still seeing no activity, he sent an email to my wife inquiring about our well-being. She explained that we were returning north in mid-March, also why we left our drive covered in snow and that everything was okay. He replied, whoops, that he had been shoveling our (wider and longer) drive for us; trust me, no small task. My wife jokingly suggested that he needed to go shovel the snow back onto our drive. He responded that fortunately it had snowed more since he last shoveled and also that his chiropractor suggested that he not be so neighborly going forward.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 31, 2021 10:01PM
My "fave" is the stuff that's snow on top and then 3" of wet slush at the base when you go through it with a shovel. Great!
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 01, 2021 01:11AM
Snowblowers are for wimps... real men use Snowovels!

But getting back on-topic, yes, weather reporting it's X inches isn't as helpful as Y-foot-gallons or something like that, in other words one square foot of snow is the equivalent weight of so many gallons of water... feels a little more specific than SWE.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 01, 2021 06:56AM
Speedy
I have never regretted having a Diesel powered high torque snowblower, especially to do the plow push-up at the end of our drive as well as my many neighbors’ drives. However, it certainly spews a lot more pollution than an electric would. My blower uses about a gallon of fuel per hour and I can do a drive in about 10 minutes - unless it is particularly heavy or particularly light.

But this year we are in south Texas avoiding Minnesota winter. Our neighbor across the street is keeping an eye on our home, picking up our mail, etc. In order to more easily detect if anyone has approached the house for nefarious purposes, we asked that they not snowblow our drive in order to easily see footprints (BTW, they have a nice, new snowblower). Another (younger) neighbor and coworker of my wife lives four houses down but around the corner. He runs almost daily by our house, is very environmentally atune to the point of not having a snowblower for his somewhat smaller drive. He noticed the lack of activity at our house but figured correctly that we were gone over winter break. Then the semester started (they both teach remotely). Still seeing no activity, he sent an email to my wife inquiring about our well-being. She explained that we were returning north in mid-March, also why we left our drive covered in snow and that everything was okay. He replied, whoops, that he had been shoveling our (wider and longer) drive for us; trust me, no small task. My wife jokingly suggested that he needed to go shovel the snow back onto our drive. He responded that fortunately it had snowed more since he last shoveled and also that his chiropractor suggested that he not be so neighborly going forward.

Wow! What a nice neighbor!

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: February 01, 2021 08:08AM
gabester
yes, weather reporting it's X inches isn't as helpful

....that's what he said......!!!!

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 01, 2021 08:11AM
I just cleaned up my driveway, 70x35 feet, with about 6" of snow. I used an Snow Joe electric CORDED unit from Amazon.
Date: February 01, 2021 08:13AM
....only 6".... [ what the? ].....??????

Date: February 01, 2021 08:48AM
space-time
I just cleaned up my driveway, 70x35 feet, with about 6" of snow. I used an Snow Joe electric CORDED unit from Amazon.

yes, but was it light and fluffy snow or more the consistency of concrete?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 01, 2021 12:11PM
rz
So glad I moved from the northeast 26 years ago...

Me too, except it was 33 years ago.

Ugh, that's a third of a century.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020