Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 01, 2021 09:22AM
Yes.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tim Cook fires back at Facebook
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 01, 2021 09:25AM
Yes.

A social dilemma cannot be allowed to become a social catastrophe.
Now that is a first class beeatch slap.
thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 01, 2021 11:48AM
Yes.
Date: February 01, 2021 12:04PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

“Some Facebook and Instagram users who open up the social media apps on their iPhones will get a new message on Monday about targeted advertising: Namely, targeting advertising is not as bad as Apple makes it out to be.
The messages, which look rather innocuous, are actually the latest salvo in a battle playing out between the two Silicon Valley Goliaths.

“In one pop-up message that Facebook is testing, a drawing of a smiling woman on her cellphone, flanked by a cup of tea and a vase of flowers, precedes a plea to get users to allow their “app and website activity” to be used to “support businesses” and “get ads that are more personalized.”

“However, after the user responds to the first pop-up, another pop-up appears from Apple: “Facebook would like permission to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies,” it reads, followed by two options: “Ask App Not to Track” and “Allow Tracking.”
Posted by: d4
Date: February 01, 2021 12:10PM
...with pinpoint accuracy.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 01, 2021 12:17PM
What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?

I don't know that's what happened.

An immovable object may have just been overmatched.

But what's most fascinating is that Cook took direct aim at Facebook without ever mentioning the company by name.

That struck me instantly, and thought that was so well done.

Not to mention that also points to a far more vile platform, for a different reason.

I do wonder what Jobs would have done in this situation, or if he would have ever taken Apple this far into Privacy First territory.

I'm just curious, not judging.

For all the 'Cook must go!' rhetoric, I believe he's doing a great job.

I may not be getting the exact Apple product I want (not that I ever did with Jobs or anybody else) but Tim has given Apple a humanity I'm not sure would ever have been achieved via Jobs.

I think the title of that article may be a little over the top, but I look forward to seeing how FB does, or rather doesn't fare.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 01, 2021 12:17PM
Inevitable. I have been forced to use Facebook by my professional duties, but it's clear that I am being tracked for far more than those clicks/posts.

First step - transparancy.
One more thing...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 01, 2021 12:32PM
While Tim's speech was great and the article good, I wonder if Inc. is aware of the irony of publishing it.

Of course, it's my assumption that they're collecting data as well, not unlike FB, if not to the same degree.

I haven't seen their privacy policy and they may not be collecting or at least selling anyone's personal data, so of course, I could be way off base in that respect.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (and I know that you will) but I thought at one time in some version of Safari, a feature of its Private Browsing was not to allow cookies to exist once the window or browser was closed.

That feature seems absent now.

Firefox, as much as I dislike it, does have that feature, and I like it.

I use it a lot when browsing Amazon.

A 'Shields Up!' feature in Safari would/will be welcome.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 01, 2021 12:35PM
I don't think Cook is doing that great a job. While I applaud Faecesbook being hoisted on a petard, Apple is not innocent of collecting massive swaths of data on users to sell to advertisers. There is also the issue of being able to repair products; child, prison, and borderline forced labor in the drive to maximize profits. India forced Apple to open factories there to get access to the market, maybe it's time for the US to do the same.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 01, 2021 02:54PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Apple is not innocent of collecting massive swaths of data on users to sell to advertisers.

I didn't know Apple sold user data to advertisers. Citation?

…child, prison, and borderline forced labor in the drive to maximize profits

Nor did I know that about Apple. Authoritative citation, please.
Date: February 01, 2021 04:31PM
Cook’s focus here is clearly aimed at the algorithms (how many times did he mention them) tasked with selling what we do to other users as bait to grow hate. FB and Twitter both want to stay out of that fray but when you can clearly show evidence how engagement is the sole goal, you’re not actually concerned enough to act on broad threats. It remains a cute position to say such behavior would “just as easily” exist outside of social media. That stance is a lie, because we can quite literally see the results of the algorithms and of engagement.

There’s nothing in Apple’s universe that compares to that. Cook rightly notes that not all speech has value to society, even as a theoretical exercise wistfully devoid of reality.
Date: February 01, 2021 06:45PM
Article Accelerator
Filliam H. Muffman
Apple is not innocent of collecting massive swaths of data on users to sell to advertisers.

"When selecting which ad to display from multiple ads for which you are eligible, we may use some of the above-mentioned information, as well as your App Store browsing activity, to determine which ad is likely to be most relevant to you."
https: //support.apple.com/en-us/HT205223

Labor under duress https: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
Child labor https: //www.businessinsider.com/apple-knowingly-used-child-labor-supplier-3-years-cut-costs-2020-12
Uyghur prison labor https: //www.vice.com/en/article/939z87/report-your-gadgets-are-made-by-re-education-camp-prisoners-in-china

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 01, 2021 07:30PM
Apple serves ads in places where you are shopping for stuff, like the App store and iTunes. You don't see Apple-selected ads while using facetime, or messages, or reading email, or web browsing outside of an Apple site. That's not "vast swaths" in the same way as facebook's vast swaths. With facebook, you can see their advertisers ads while doing the Facebook equivalent of any of those activities. Apple's pot is not as black as facebook's.

But this fact actually reduces the significance of Cook's words. Apple does not use advertising the same way because it doesn't operate in the same realm. If eWorld were still a thing, we could more closely compare the way they use advertising to see who is the bigger hypocrite.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 07:33PM by Acer.
Posted by: numbered
Date: February 01, 2021 08:03PM
Always remember that Apple's customers are consumers and Facebook's customers are advertisers.

In addition, Apple does track customers to a certain extent. But Facebook tracks everyone including unregistered customers. If you don't like it you can register and change your Facebook preferences...like that means anything.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 02, 2021 12:37AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Article Accelerator
Filliam H. Muffman

"When selecting which ad to display from multiple ads for which you are eligible, we may use some of the above-mentioned information, as well as your App Store browsing activity, to determine which ad is likely to be most relevant to you."
https: //support.apple.com/en-us/HT205223

Thanks for the citation. I think the page's subheading is relevant:

"Apple-delivered advertising helps people discover apps, products, and services while respecting user privacy. Apple’s advertising platform is designed to protect your information and give you control over how we use your information. Our advertising platform doesn’t share personally identifiable information with third parties."

Child labor https: //www.businessinsider.com/apple-knowingly-used-child-labor-supplier-3-years-cut-costs-2020-12
Uyghur prison labor https: //www.vice.com/en/article/939z87/report-your-gadgets-are-made-by-re-education-camp-prisoners-in-china

Yes, bad things happen in Apple's supply chain. And Apple monitors regularly and corrects diligently. In fact, no company does as much for assembly worker welfare as Apple:

[www.apple.com]
Date: February 02, 2021 09:44AM
Article Accelerator
"Apple-delivered advertising helps people discover apps, products, and services while respecting user privacy. Apple’s advertising platform is designed to protect your information and give you control over how we use your information. Our advertising platform doesn’t share personally identifiable information with third parties."

Yes, bad things happen in Apple's supply chain. And Apple monitors regularly and corrects diligently. In fact, no company does as much for assembly worker welfare as Apple:

[www.apple.com]

It's wonderful that they have statistics that they are responsible for 0.1% less labor abuse than the next largest company. Groupthink marketing speak.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020