advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U to Are Ethernet over Powerline better now-They are!
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 04, 2021 01:58PM
Following up to this thread: [forums.macresource.com]

I just received my TL-PA9020P 2-port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline adapters.
They are truly plug and play. You can pair them, but I decided to try without first. Plug one into the wall, then connect via Ethernet cable to the ATT gateway, walk upstairs and plug into outlet. then plug Ethernet cable into adapter, which is plugged into the Mac mini, and you are good to go.

I did a Speedtest before and after. I am now getting pretty much my full speed, which is only 60mbps, but it is a whole lot better than my 12-20mbps or sometimes even less, I was getting before.

Both minis are now getting much improved speeds. I think the ATT fiber does vary a bit depending on time of day, but the speed is still 2-3 times faster than it was before.

A silent shout out to the Forum member, you know who you are, who had these bad boys lying around not being used, and so kindly sent them to me. I am forever grateful, as is my husband, who actually had the most to gain from the speed increase.

So, I can attest that the newer versions of the TP-Link Ethernet adapters do work a lot better than the 4 year old ones I had before. smiley-music039

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U to Are Ethernet over Powerline better now-They are!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 04, 2021 02:13PM
Thanks for the report, and 3 cheers for the mystery donor!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 04, 2021 02:16PM
Props to she or he in the forum who may remain nameless. And thanks for the update, I've been wondering about these for a while. Our house is small enough that a single 5GHz router gives good enough speed for everyone but that may not end up being the case if too many neighbors finally get on the 5GHz bandwagon and clutter my pristine airwaves with their plebeian bits 'n bytes.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 04, 2021 03:31PM
60mbps is a fine connection! Faster than my google mesh network.

MRF success!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 04, 2021 04:12PM
My son and his roommates have ethernet wires running all around the apartment. No funds to get something like an Orbi setup (with its dedicated backhaul channel); might run this by them as an option.

Wondering if you can hook a switch up to the receiver part, to allow for multiple devices in one room to share the connection.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 04, 2021 04:27PM
They can work really well; I've used them in the past. The one thing to watch out for is strange wiring, especially in older homes, which can mess up the connection.
Date: February 04, 2021 05:31PM
Zoidberg
My son and his roommates have ethernet wires running all around the apartment. No funds to get something like an Orbi setup (with its dedicated backhaul channel); might run this by them as an option.

Wondering if you can hook a switch up to the receiver part, to allow for multiple devices in one room to share the connection.

I don’t know about connecting a switch, but each of the devices has two Ethernet ports, so except for the one connected to the router, you can get two devices connected per adapter.

I don’t see why you couldn’t connect a switch, but I have not tried and didn’t research it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2021 05:32PM by rgG.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 04, 2021 05:37PM
I'm fairly certain you could connect a switch.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 04, 2021 05:49PM
rgG
I did a Speedtest before and after. I am now getting pretty much my full speed, which is only 60mbps, but it is a whole lot better than my 12-20mbps or sometimes even less, I was getting before.

Both minis are now getting much improved speeds. I think the ATT fiber does vary a bit depending on time of day, but the speed is still 2-3 times faster than it was before.

So you have AT&T Fiber, nice! I think 60Mbps is plenty fast, but just out of curiosity, what speed options do you have?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 04, 2021 06:37PM
I declare a hearty LEADER to both you and the generous donor!
Date: February 04, 2021 06:37PM
AllGold
rgG

So you have AT&T Fiber, nice! I think 60Mbps is plenty fast, but just out of curiosity, what speed options do you have?

I think, but am not sure, that we can get up to 1gigabit.

We actually buy our ATT through a reseller, DSL Extreme, based in CA. It is the ATT service, but as a reseller, they don't impose data caps, and they are slightly cheaper, I think. When we first signed up, ATT was imposing hard data caps and even though we probably wouldn't go over, I would rather no have them, so we went with DSL Extreme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2021 06:40PM by rgG.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 04, 2021 08:50PM
Congrats, glad I could help out!

Ok, no, I wasn’t the donor, just taking credit. But please feel free to name the generous donor.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 04, 2021 09:43PM
Older homes really screw these things up. I tried some in my 1956 home with 3-4 additions. Hooo boy! Not even a connection. No signal. Nadda. Zilch. Zero. Zip bang! Nothin.

So I got an Orbi mesh system, was poor for several months, but happy with Ethernet connection.
Date: February 04, 2021 10:11PM
Spiff
Older homes really screw these things up. I tried some in my 1956 home with 3-4 additions. Hooo boy! Not even a connection. No signal. Nadda. Zilch. Zero. Zip bang! Nothin.

So I got an Orbi mesh system, was poor for several months, but happy with Ethernet connection.

Yeah, we are lucky that this is a new building, just four years old. I can see where an older wired building would not be ideal.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 05, 2021 04:01PM
Quick question for the users - are you doing this in detached homes, or apartment buildings? I haven't tried ethernet over power line solutions because as an apartment-dweller, I've worried about whether the fact that I'm sharing a wiring system with the rest of the building would be an issue. For clarification, my apartment doesn't charge separately for electric, so we aren't segregated/metered separately from other units (it's an old building). Thanks!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: February 05, 2021 04:17PM
rjmacs
Quick question for the users - are you doing this in detached homes, or apartment buildings? I haven't tried ethernet over power line solutions because as an apartment-dweller, I've worried about whether the fact that I'm sharing a wiring system with the rest of the building would be an issue. For clarification, my apartment doesn't charge separately for electric, so we aren't segregated/metered separately from other units (it's an old building). Thanks!

We are in a townhouse, but they are built as separate entities, just with shared walls.
If you do try it in an apartment, I would definitely pair the devices. I am running these without pairing, but pairing would make the set-up more secure, I would think.
Old wiring could pose problems with these units, from what I have read.

Date: February 05, 2021 04:25PM
rgG
rjmacs

We are in a townhouse, but they are built as separate entities, just with shared walls.
If you do try it in an apartment, I would definitely pair the devices. I am running these without pairing, but pairing would make the set-up more secure, I would think.
Old wiring could pose problems with these units, from what I have read.

Thanks, Rhonda!

rj
AKA
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 05, 2021 04:37PM
rj,

I live in a prewar building. Each unit has its own electrical box. Powerline adapters were an utter failure. I wouldn't waste my time with them. In your place, stick with either MoCa adapters if you have coaxial in your entire apartment or a mesh system. I did two separate wireless networks connected via MoCa for a while. Switched to a mesh system and never looked back. If I were to do it again now, I'd go mesh and be done with it. Just get a good system when it goes on sale. That's how I got the Orbi AC3000 system from Costco.com for an amazing price.

Robert
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 05, 2021 06:57PM
rjmacs

Apartment.

Good powerline adapters offer AES 128 or better encryption.* ** When you pair them, they share a key which is unique to those adapters so that others can't listen in.

My trick is to put all of them on a strip when doing the initial pairing to ensure that they can talk to each other on a clean circuit. (Powerline adapters should not be put on a power strip or behind a UPS or line-conditioner in normal operation.)

*128bit encryption is okay, but not great. Should be at least 256bit. Powerline tech is always years behind where it could be if they bothered to put any work into it. Bunch of cheap lazy bums behind these things. They work, but could be so much better.

**Otherwise, you have an "baby monitor" problem. Many baby monitors used to use power-lines for their transmissions. Someone a couple of houses down could plug in a monitor and find themselves listening to the wrong nursery. So, then they switched to 900MHz and 2.4GHz, but they all used the same channels without encryption... and someone a couple of houses down could plug in a monitor and find themselves listening or looking at the wrong baby. So, then they switched to WiFi, but didn't encrypt and password-protect, and someone could enter the wrong address in a web browser and find themselves looking at a feed from a nursery half-way around the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2021 06:59PM by Sarcany.
Date: February 05, 2021 07:04PM
Sarcany
rjmacs

Apartment.

Good powerline adapters offer AES 128 or better encryption.* ** When you pair them, they share a key which is unique to those adapters so that others can't listen in.

My trick is to put all of them on a strip when doing the initial pairing to ensure that they can talk to each other on a clean circuit. (Powerline adapters should not be put on a power strip or behind a UPS or line-conditioner in normal operation.)

*128bit encryption is okay, but not great. Should be at least 256bit. Powerline tech is always years behind where it could be if they bothered to put any work into it. Bunch of cheap lazy bums behind these things. They work, but could be so much better.

**Otherwise, you have an "baby monitor" problem. Many baby monitors used to use power-lines for their transmissions. Someone a couple of houses down could plug in a monitor and find themselves listening to the wrong nursery. So, then they switched to 900MHz and 2.4GHz, but they all used the same channels without encryption... and someone a couple of houses down could plug in a monitor and find themselves listening or looking at the wrong baby. So, then they switched to WiFi, but didn't encrypt and password-protect, and someone could enter the wrong address in a web browser and find themselves looking at a feed from a nursery half-way around the world.

If you are using them only for Ethernet and not to extend the WiFi, some do both but mine only have Ethernet, do you need to pair them? I can’t see how anyone could tap in, unless they were in your house, assuming it is an individually wired house.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 05, 2021 07:36PM
rgG
If you are using them only for Ethernet and not to extend the WiFi, some do both but mine only have Ethernet, do you need to pair them? I can’t see how anyone could tap in, unless they were in your house, assuming it is an individually wired house.

There's nothing filtering the power coming out of the typical home. The signal could travel for miles before noise swamped it.

I've used a few powerline adapter over the years with different methods for setting encryption keys.

Some came paired and uniquely encrypted out of the box (requiring reprogramming if you wanted to use more than 2 boxes). Some worked without unique encryption and exchanged a unique encryption key only when paired by pushing the pairing buttons. Some didn't uniquely encrypt even when paired with the button, requiring the user to connect a computer via Ethernet and use an app or web browser to set a key.

Per the guide for your TL-PA9020P...

Plug and play provides you the quickest way to set up a powerline network. However, all powerline devices in the network use the same default key, and anyone nearby with a powerline network can potentially access to your network. After using the Pair button between your powerline devices, your powerline network will be configured to use a private encryption key. That is, your network is more secure after pairing.

Date: February 05, 2021 08:04PM
Sarcany
rgG

There's nothing filtering the power coming out of the typical home. The signal could travel for miles before noise swamped it.

I've used a few powerline adapter over the years with different methods for setting encryption keys.

Some came paired and uniquely encrypted out of the box (requiring reprogramming if you wanted to use more than 2 boxes). Some worked without unique encryption and exchanged a unique encryption key only when paired by pushing the pairing buttons. Some didn't uniquely encrypt even when paired with the button, requiring the user to connect a computer via Ethernet and use an app or web browser to set a key.

Per the guide for your TL-PA9020P...

Plug and play provides you the quickest way to set up a powerline network. However, all powerline devices in the network use the same default key, and anyone nearby with a powerline network can potentially access to your network. After using the Pair button between your powerline devices, your powerline network will be configured to use a private encryption key. That is, your network is more secure after pairing.

Thanks! I was wondering why I would need to pair, as I didn’t understand that someone could possibly intercept the signal. I thought that only applied to WiFi.

Date: February 08, 2021 11:34AM
Thanks for the advice, all - I sure appreciate it!

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020