advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Did you guys know this fun Beatles story?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 06, 2021 02:36PM
So I'm just clicking around on youtube and stumble upon a musician I'm familiar with on YT doing a cover of the Beatles, And Your Bird Can Sing: [www.youtube.com] (it's a great 'family' of YT accounts - check them out) and my jaw drops to the floor. I never really listened to the guitar or considered how the song would be played, but the first thing I say to myself is, "I had no idea that George Harrison could do THAT." (watch the video or at least the first few seconds)

Elsewhere, I hear a story about teenaged Joe Walsh working for MONTHS to decipher the song and teach himself to play it.

Years later he meets Ringo Star and tells him about it and Ringo looks at him like he's crazy: 'That's not a guitar solo - that's George and Paul playing a duet'.

I suppose you beatle-ites would know this already, but it was new and wonderful to me...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did you guys know this fun Beatles story?
Posted by: kj
Date: February 06, 2021 04:29PM
I like that video. Apparently there is some question whether it was dubbed when the beatles recorded it, but I guarantee he could have played it. I saw a video of him playing with Ravi once, and he was playing some pretty technically difficult stuff. I'm sure he could handle that, if he wanted. A lot of the Beatles music is deceptively difficult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2021 04:30PM by kj.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 06, 2021 06:54PM
I overheard a couple of musicians talking on the train once. One was saying that she’d been listening to McCartney’s bass playing a lot and was talking about it with a lot of admiration.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 06, 2021 07:28PM
This is a great analysis of their musical abilities and their impact on music. Worth a look. And thanks for the link, Hal.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: jonny
Date: February 06, 2021 08:00PM
This guy says George and Paul played it together. First example of 'twin harmonies' on gituar. Great Jow Walsh related anecdote.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2021 08:01PM by jonny.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 07, 2021 07:43AM
One was saying that she’d been listening to McCartney’s bass playing a lot and was talking about it with a lot of admiration.

Well, yeah... Other than him being the pop half of L&McC, he's a hell of a bass player-Taxman is my fave.

This guy says George and Paul played it together. First example of 'twin harmonies' on gituar

One of my favorite double leads is Had To Cry Today with Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton. Also my favorite tune from that album. Saw them perform it live at one of the Crossroads Guitar Festivals.

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 07, 2021 11:03AM
After George Martin got involved, I don't think I'd take any studio recording as not over-dubbed.
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 07, 2021 11:08AM
And Your Bird Can Sing is favorite of mine. That guitar intro is killer. Hollyhobs is another YouTuber (channel) where the creator is a big Beatles fan and often gives behind the story stories about the albums and songs.

I also highly recommend this site for fans of Revolver. Paul Ingles also does a deep dive of Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, The White Album, etc. in other programs. [exchange.prx.org]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 07, 2021 11:22AM
I am amazed by the youtubes showing people playing John Lennon's isolated rhythms parts on "All My Loving."
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 07, 2021 12:54PM
Those guys are really good. Thanks for posting, hal! If you listen closely you'll hear that it doesn't sound exactly the same as the Beatles record. That's because that guy in the video is playing double stops using his fingers to pluck with his pick while the original was two guys playing single lines with picks. So you get different attacks and inflections. When I had a trio I used to do the same thing to play both guitar parts for Thin Lizzy's The Boys are back In Town. I used to love to see people look around for the second guitarist.

McCartney originally was a guitar player but got stuck playing bass when Stu Sutcliffe left the band. Supposedly Harrison got the lead guitar spot because he knew more chords and McCartney had problems playing solos live. I found this good article about Paul moving to bass here:
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

As a kid I started learning to play from the Ventures and Beatles records, the other Mersey bands and Stax and Motown records in the mid sixties. The guitar parts that the Beatles were composing were really a head of the times and McCartney's bass lines were very melodic besides being locked to the drum beat. I'm still amazed at what they did on their instruments.

JoeM
Date: February 07, 2021 01:08PM
wow - thanks for the education Joe

Having an even harder time imagining doing the guitar duet on the Thin Lizzy song on one guitar. Can't find an example of it on YT.

On the Scorsese George Harrison bio, Paul talked about meeting george (who was like 16 or so) and george played a song on guitar that knocked Paul's socks off.

[edit - read the wrong way, it might sound like I'm saying this with a sneer - I am NOT - I was hoping you'd chime in with some expert info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2021 01:41PM by hal.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 07, 2021 01:12PM
Yeah, I'm with the above, hard to imagine the guitar part on one guitar. Were you playing octaves?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 07, 2021 01:26PM
The Genius of John Lennon Guitar

[m.youtube.com]
Date: February 07, 2021 01:49PM
And if you like these guys, there are LOTS more...

This is a PERFECT rendition of Baby Driver while cramped in an RV: [www.youtube.com]

Stuck in the Middle with you: [www.youtube.com]

Harvest Moon: [www.youtube.com]

Second Hand News: [www.youtube.com] ( I like this better than FM)

Sister Golden Hair: [www.youtube.com]

I'm on Fire (this is freakin AWESOME): [www.youtube.com]
Date: February 08, 2021 01:56PM
hal
wow - thanks for the education Joe

Having an even harder time imagining doing the guitar duet on the Thin Lizzy song on one guitar. Can't find an example of it on YT.

On the Scorsese George Harrison bio, Paul talked about meeting george (who was like 16 or so) and george played a song on guitar that knocked Paul's socks off.

[edit - read the wrong way, it might sound like I'm saying this with a sneer - I am NOT - I was hoping you'd chime in with some expert info]

From what I read, George and Paul were friends and Paul brought George into the Quarrymen, when it was a skiffle group. At first John didn't want him because he was only 15 and he thought he was too young. But George was a better guitarist than Paul or John and could play leads from the tunes they were interested in. In the beginning, George was more knowledgeable about American acts so he was bringing musical influences into the Beatles like the current soul music and he got them into the folk rock of the Byrds and Dylan which led to the music on Rubber Soul, along with the Indian influences George was getting into.

By around 66 he was moving away from the guitar and concentrating on sitar and Indian music. He stopped playing guitar for 3 years and only picked it up whenever he needed to do something with the Beatles. By the time he started getting back into the guitar, players like Clapton, Hendrix and Page were moving guitar into the areas of an improvisational instrument instead of merely being used to support song composition, which is how Harrison always played previously. He felt he had been away from guitar so long that he couldn't catch up to the guitar virtuosos of the late 60s so he adopted the slide as a way to still play.

He also had to deal with Paul wanting to control the songs more and more and with Paul telling him what and how to play, which really caused George to lose interest in working with Paul in the later stages of the group. In the end, while there was still a love between them and things got better between them after Johns death and before George's death, George really had no interest in working with Paul but he continued to work with John and Ringo.

JoeM
Date: February 08, 2021 02:01PM
mrbigstuff
Yeah, I'm with the above, hard to imagine the guitar part on one guitar. Were you playing octaves?

hal and mrbigstuff, no not octaves. It can be played in double stops using 3rds and 5ths pretty much like Steve Cropper used to play on the old Stax records. Hendrix did a lot of that kind of stuff as well. It's really not too difficult. Much easier than what that guy was doing in And Your Bird Can Sing.

JoeM
Date: February 08, 2021 02:02PM
hal
And if you like these guys, there are LOTS more...

This is a PERFECT rendition of Baby Driver while cramped in an RV: [www.youtube.com]

Stuck in the Middle with you: [www.youtube.com]

Harvest Moon: [www.youtube.com]

Second Hand News: [www.youtube.com] ( I like this better than FM)

Sister Golden Hair: [www.youtube.com]

I'm on Fire (this is freakin AWESOME): [www.youtube.com]

Wow! Lots of really good stuff here. Thanks hal!

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020