advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I know Dental Implants are expensive
Posted by: Microman
Date: February 09, 2021 09:01AM
Need to have two done, with a cantilever over to another.

Ane on other side of mouth a bridge.

Then I won't look like a toothless person.

Could be close to $9,500
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I know Dental Implants are expensive
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 09, 2021 09:09AM
Yikes. I'm looking at ~3,000 for Invisalign to correct for an alignment issue that is resulting in chipping of a tooth. Hoping to setup some pre-tax dollars through my employer FSA plan, but unfortunately I can't make that change until November...

Do you have that option?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 09, 2021 09:09AM
my brother has need both arches. All-in-4.
absolutely prohibitive. $20k per.
Spain $6.4k per

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2021 09:18AM
....what if.....anti-dentite......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 09, 2021 09:28AM
They are crazy expensive.
Have you asked about a traditional bridge?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 09, 2021 09:28AM
Mrs. cbelt3 has an entire upper implant set for all her uppers and most of her lowers. We've invested over $50K in her mouth. Her fibro prohibits travel. We could have gone to europe for a full set and had a great vacation too for half that.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: February 09, 2021 09:38AM
Microman
Need to have two done, with a cantilever over to another.

Ane on other side of mouth a bridge.

Then I won't look like a toothless person.

Could be close to $9,500

Couldn't afford good dental care when I was a kid. Couldn't afford it the first thirty years of being an adult. After that I kept doing repairs after repairs after repairs.

Last year I made a major dental investment. Almost everything I have now are implants and crowns etc. Close to 70K. I guess if I could have afforded dental care this "heroic" restoration wouldn't have been necessary, but in addition to the pain I would have periodically, I was prone to infections, and that was just as debilitating.

$9500 is a chunk to be sure-but I doubt that you'll ever regret the investment. I sure don't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 09, 2021 09:39AM
If you are able too, look at going out of the country to get it done. You can go to Europe or Asia and save. Mexico is even cheaper. Most of the dentists are American trained.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 09, 2021 09:50AM
Was recently quoted $1300 out of pocket with my insurance paying 80% for a root canal and crown.

Paying them a fortune to rip out the tooth and nerve.

It's the 21st century. Why can't they just treat the underlying condition??

Dentistry is barbaric AND expensive.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 09, 2021 09:59AM
Sarcany
Was recently quoted $1300 out of pocket with my insurance paying 80% for a root canal and crown.

Paying them a fortune to rip out the tooth and nerve.

It's the 21st century. Why can't they just treat the underlying condition??

They don't rip out the root - just grind down the enamel and drill out the pulp, killing the tooth permanently, leaving the root as a base to anchor the metal post that hold the crown. If they ripped out the whole tooth, you'd need an implant or denture.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 09, 2021 10:15AM
rjmacs
They don't rip out the root - just grind down the enamel and drill out the pulp, killing the tooth permanently, leaving the root as a base to anchor the metal post that hold the crown. If they ripped out the whole tooth, you'd need an implant or denture.

Thank you for clarifying. That's so much better.

bomb smiley

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 09, 2021 10:17AM
Canadian professional article on dental tourism:

[www.agd.org]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 09, 2021 10:24AM
Two ideas I've read about for a buddy of mine (who is too stubborn to do anything about his mouthful of rotten, broken, teeth... but that's another story...);

Thailand and Mexico.

Both have lots of U.S. and Canada trained dental practices at FRACTIONS of what the work costs here.
My friend needs all his remaining teeth pulled, and implants to hold dentures put in. Here, he's looking at $35,000 at least, according to him.
A dental clinic in Thailand "rough" quoted me (since I don't have his dental records, and they couldn't examine the actual patient) $7,500 for the full extraction, AND the two weeks recovery time in a hotel next to the dental practice, and about $2,000 to have the dentures fitted. So, less than 1/3 the cost.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 09, 2021 10:45AM
Perhaps obviously, the trick with medical tourism is finding a reliable provider.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 09, 2021 11:13AM
Are you near a reputable dental school? If so, contact them to see if this is something they can do.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 09, 2021 11:40AM
dentists should not be allowed to own real estate of play the stock market.
-
Dental school students are by definition people who don't know what they are doing.
Date: February 09, 2021 11:43AM
Budapest, Hungary is apparently where the europeans go to have dental work done, or it was about 10 years ago.

Date: February 09, 2021 11:58AM
rgG
Budapest, Hungary is apparently where the europeans go to have dental work done, or it was about 10 years ago.

Yeah, but Thailand has beaches! :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rz
Date: February 09, 2021 12:13PM
Thankfully I was taught young to take care of my teeth.
Date: February 09, 2021 12:16PM
Paul F.
rgG

Yeah, but Thailand has beaches! :-)

There is that. Plus, you are on the correct coast for Thailand, me, not so much. Lol

We found out about this dental stuff when we went to Budapest/Vienna/Prague for our daughter's college graduation trip in 2012. The place we were staying had "dental packages" with special soft food meals and such. Apparently, even with national health care in most of the EU, at that time, dental could still be quite expensive in places like the UK, so they would come to Budapest to have major stuff done.

Date: February 09, 2021 12:20PM
rz
Thankfully I was taught young to take care of my teeth.

So was I, and I floss and brush like a Mutha, but I still have had my share of fillings, cracked teeth, crowns and root canals. My husband who doesn't do 1/10th as much upkeep and maintenance on his teeth as I do, and never has, has like two or three small fillings. RollingEyesSmiley5

Sometimes it is just bad genetics.

Posted by: decay
Date: February 09, 2021 01:18PM
I should consider Thailand when travel opens up again.

My daughter's boyfriend has relatives there. They have traveled together and stayed with the locals when they went. The food is fresh and cheap.

It's a really really long series of flights, though.

Mexico is probably easier from Pennsylvania.

---
Date: February 09, 2021 01:41PM
decay
I should consider Thailand when travel opens up again.

My daughter's boyfriend has relatives there. They have traveled together and stayed with the locals when they went. The food is fresh and cheap.

It's a really really long series of flights, though.

Mexico is probably easier from Pennsylvania.

A layover in Japan is probably the least grueling (assuming your previous connection leaves from the West Coast). It is an unpleasantly long journey...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: kj
Date: February 09, 2021 02:09PM
Molar City, baby. I'm needin' what they got.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 09, 2021 02:14PM
Sarcany

Every time I go to the dentist I hope they can just inject my mouth full of stem cells to fix everything.

Date: February 09, 2021 02:42PM
mattkime
Sarcany

Every time I go to the dentist I hope they can just inject my mouth full of stem cells to fix everything.

Wouldn’t that be nice.
Hubby got a stem cell injection when he had his miniscus clean-up knee surgery a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: February 09, 2021 02:47PM
Steve G.
-
Dental school students are by definition people who don't know what they are doing.

Sounds great until you're on the receiving end and someone decides you're over-educated, over-paid and shouldn't be allowed to own a house, a car or have a savings account. Then it doesn't sound like such a good idea.
Date: February 09, 2021 03:17PM
Steve G.
-

Can anyone recommend a good dentist to Steve G? Sounds like he's been burned a few times.

Date: February 09, 2021 03:25PM
bobinmurphy
Steve G.
-

Sounds great until you're on the receiving end and someone decides you're over-educated, over-paid and shouldn't be allowed to own a house, a car or have a savings account. Then it doesn't sound like such a good idea.

Kinda like the French Revolution... Marching "the rich" up to the Guillotine was quite popular... until they ran out of "rich" and focused on "people we don't like" - and guess what! Most of the people that had been marching "the rich" up to the Guillotine were people "they didn't like". Their heads came off just as easy... then they went looking for MORE people.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 09, 2021 04:08PM
Why can't dental insurance just cover implants? They seem to be the best solution to many dental issues.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2021 04:10PM
.......most women want to have their 'implants'......covered by insurance as well.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2021 04:10PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 09, 2021 05:45PM
Rick-o
Why can't dental insurance just cover implants? They seem to be the best solution to many dental issues.

Mine does.

It is what it is.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 09, 2021 06:12PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Rick-o

Mine does.

Mine as well. But only at 50%, and my policy has a maximum payout each year of $1500. Only way to afford is timing part of the work during one year and finishing up the following year.
Date: February 09, 2021 07:27PM
JoeH
N-OS X-tasy!
Rick-o

Mine does.

Mine as well. But only at 50%, and my policy has a maximum payout each year of $1500. Only way to afford is timing part of the work during one year and finishing up the following year.

Oh yeah, mine doesn't provide full coverage. 50% also, IIRC.

It is what it is.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 09, 2021 08:32PM
Excellent experience getting three implants in Mexico. One third the cost of US.
When have you had work guaranteed ? When have you had inexpensive dental MRI before any work is done ?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 09, 2021 09:23PM
I have a life-long connection with dentists (as more than a patient). They make w-a-a-y too much for their work. The same for doctors (and especially hospitals) but thst is disguised by insurance.
Date: February 09, 2021 09:26PM
If you're in Chicago, my baby sister is an AMAZING dentist, and a wonderful person with a huge heart. And she's more reasonable than many.
Date: February 10, 2021 08:45AM
Rick-o
Why can't dental insurance just cover implants?

Because its a for profit industry who's main feature is shifting costs from employees to employers?

Posted by: mspace
Date: February 10, 2021 10:09AM
I had an excellent job done with an implant at Columbia Dental School, and WAY cheaper than just "on the street". It is a post-grad program. My "student" was from Japan, where he said they didn't have this training there. Of course everything was supervised by attending professors.

At the time, a full implant post and crown there was going to be up to $2400. Just to remove the damaged tooth would have cost about $3000 elsewhere. I had the post done at the school (the cheaper part of the process) for $500. My own dentist gave me a cheaper cost on the crown (cash price), so my total was $1700.

My dentist was VERY impressed with the quality of the post work, which was good to hear, as it was a tricky procedure in my particular situation.

If you have access to any teaching facility that does the work, check it out. The best thing about those places is that they don't skip steps, since they are learning, and everything is supervised. The "down side" is that it IS a school and one need to be patient with scheduling, etc. I was willing to wait extra time as my student wanted to work with a particularly good attending, and I'm glad he did.
Date: February 10, 2021 10:13AM
Dental school work is usually very good. It's a good option to explore.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 10, 2021 11:26AM
This Irish girl went to Turkey for implants

[www.youtube.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 10, 2021 11:26AM
I don't know how that posted twice !

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: February 10, 2021 12:35PM
Again? smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: February 10, 2021 01:22PM
I'm in the final stages of crowning three implants. Fortunately for me, the Air Force is doing it. I have been completely impressed with the quality of service from the multitude of dentists that have operated on me during the past two years. It was a very intricate situation that has taken a long time. Almost done. Very weird feeling having implants as you really can't "feel" them in your mouth. Normal teeth have roots that you can feel as you chew, clench, etc. Since the implants go right into your bone, no more feeling, but they are there. It's just weird. But I'll take it!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 10, 2021 06:32PM
In the US, smaller towns seem to be cheaper than cities. Also, being in a less affluent state helps.

Costa Rica is the foreign place I've heard the most about.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 10, 2021 06:48PM
Dennis S
In the US, smaller towns seem to be cheaper than cities. Also, being in a less affluent state helps.

Your zip code absolutely matters when it comes to dental premiums.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 10, 2021 11:05PM
One and two decades ago, I had four full implants (as opposed to "mini" implants). My dentist STRONGLY recommended AGAINST cantilever.

A decade plus ago, a friend was a long haul trucker. He told me there's a stretch of highway (back then) in NC that had a boatload of dentists and, when he needed dental work that's where'd he'd head to. He's long dead so, I cannot get any information for you but, I expect searching online should get you some answers. Good luck!

And YES, dental work, especially implants and crowns, are obscenely expensive. sad smiley
Date: February 11, 2021 06:38PM
testcase
One and two decades ago, I had four full implants (as opposed to "mini" implants). My dentist STRONGLY recommended AGAINST cantilever.

A decade plus ago, a friend was a long haul trucker. He told me there's a stretch of highway (back then) in NC that had a boatload of dentists and, when he needed dental work that's where'd he'd head to. He's long dead so, I cannot get any information for you but, I expect searching online should get you some answers. Good luck!

And YES, dental work, especially implants and crowns, are obscenely expensive. sad smiley

I had a co-worker who went there last year to get a lot of work done. He said the savings were huge. I can’t remember the exact town either.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 12, 2021 12:35PM
rgG
testcase

I had a co-worker who went there last year to get a lot of work done. He said the savings were huge. I can’t remember the exact town either.

If it was out in the western part of NC near Ft Bragg, my former brother-in-law is part of that bunch. He went through Army ROTC, dental school, and then served as a dentist in the Army for a few years. Somehow during that he went through airborne training as well. He liked the area and found a practice there that he bought into after his time in and eventually bought it out about 25 years ago. Now has several offices in the area with others working for him. His practice and others in the area cater to the needs of service members and their families, and price their services accordingly. This would be in the Fayetteville area, it has been over 15 years since I was down there so don't recall which highway had the cluster of offices.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020