advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MS Office Fakes Me Out
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 13, 2021 09:48PM
The iMac my wife was using had a video-card problem, so I took the machine out of service and extracted the SSD running OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). I figured I'd use the SSD as an external for my own iMac, as I need to update mine to 10.13.x (High Sierra), and Office:Mac2011 won't let me install on High Sierra. Her iMac was running it fine.

So I've got the SSD now attached (via USB) to my iMac, but when I boot from it, Office acts like it's a new computer, and wants the activation code—which for this old version never works.

Question: The SSD is now attached to my computer, not inside my wife's computer, but it's the same drive with the same OS and the Users and the same Applications. So why doesn't Office:Mac2011 behave just as before?

Color me puzzled.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MS Office Fakes Me Out
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 13, 2021 09:51PM
It checks some kind of identifier that's unique to the motherboard.

Either LibreOffice or one of the cheap versions of office on Ebay, for me.
Date: February 13, 2021 10:28PM
anonymouse1

That's what I'm beginning to think. Sly devils, those MSers!

As between LibreOffice and OpenOffice, which is better?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 13, 2021 10:51PM
Don't know about the free packages.

From eBay:
[www.ebay.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 14, 2021 02:02AM
mrlynn
anonymouse1

That's what I'm beginning to think. Sly devils, those MSers!

This has been the case for years, BTW.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 14, 2021 02:25AM
I use both Libre and Open and find Open holds closer to MS Office design thus easier to trans to.

20+ years of MS Word is truly difficult to leave and I still revert from time to time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2021 02:27AM by RgrF.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 14, 2021 04:15AM
You can call Monopolysoft to get an activation code. You may need the retail box or, possibly, connect the external to its original device and grab the number(s) from the About Office menu item.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 14, 2021 07:27AM
Speedy
You can call Monopolysoft to get an activation code. You may need the retail box or, possibly, connect the external to its original device and grab the number(s) from the About Office menu item.

I still have the original CD and activation code. It's a 'home and student' pack, which was good for a number of computers.

Whenever you enter the code, you get a message saying either "You are not on the Internet" (false), or "The activation server is unavailable." You can then try to activate by phone, which involves typing a long series of numbers on your phone, then entering a ridculously long series of numbers which the robot speaks on your computer, only to get a message that it "Failed."

I did actually get the phone activation business to work on a MBAir running Mojave (!) a few years ago, and on a 2010 MBP that I wiped last year and gave to Number Two Son's family. Guess I'll try it again, just for the halibut.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2021 07:41AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 14, 2021 09:09AM
This happened to my friends too, I think they ended up buying a new license. They had a 3 license teacher pack I think.

I wonder if there is a way to de-activate the MS Office from one machine and move it another. It should be a fixed number of simultaneous installs, not a total number of install.
Date: February 14, 2021 09:41AM
space-time
This happened to my friends too, I think they ended up buying a new license. They had a 3 license teacher pack I think.

I wonder if there is a way to de-activate the MS Office from one machine and move it another. It should be a fixed number of simultaneous installs, not a total number of install.

The annoying thing is that I am just moving the drive from one machine to another. /Mr L
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 14, 2021 11:49AM
so this thread has some info. TL/DR MS will not activate a new 2011 copy.

[answers.microsoft.com]

But one guy, apparently a MS tech, says this: "You could have brought your old installation forward using Apple's Migration Assistant."

So maybe that is something you can try.

Good luck.

EDIT: maybe not, I just saw the responses, and the guy who asked still had to activate it... so Migration assistant did not help. Sorry for false hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2021 11:50AM by space-time.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 14, 2021 02:58PM
space-time
so this thread has some info. TL/DR MS will not activate a new 2011 copy.

[answers.microsoft.com]

But one guy, apparently a MS tech, says this: "You could have brought your old installation forward using Apple's Migration Assistant."

So maybe that is something you can try.

Good luck.

EDIT: maybe not, I just saw the responses, and the guy who asked still had to activate it... so Migration assistant did not help. Sorry for false hope.

My son activated Office 2011 about six months ago on a MBP (after he pulled his former MBP off a table with his corded headset and broke the screen) by calling Monopolysoft. The process took awhile but he had his original box and DVD and he had unused installs - he did use up an install when he activated Office on the second MBP.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 14, 2021 04:10PM
Speedy, does MS really count 'installs'? I don't know how many I've done over the 10 years since 2011. Probably more than the five (?) users allowed. Currently there are only two computers on my home network that run Office:Mac2011, and one is a laptop usually asleep.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 14, 2021 05:13PM
mrlynn
Speedy

I still have the original CD and activation code. It's a 'home and student' pack, which was good for a number of computers.

Whenever you enter the code, you get a message saying either "You are not on the Internet" (false), or "The activation server is unavailable." You can then try to activate by phone, which involves typing a long series of numbers on your phone, then entering a ridculously long series of numbers which the robot speaks on your computer, only to get a message that it "Failed."

I did actually get the phone activation business to work on a MBAir running Mojave (!) a few years ago, and on a 2010 MBP that I wiped last year and gave to Number Two Son's family. Guess I'll try it again, just for the halibut.

/Mr Lynn

It sounds like you have a version that is no longer supported by MS, including server-based license activation. A phone call to MS should get you taken care of.

It is what it is.
Posted by: fauch
Date: February 14, 2021 05:44PM
There has to be a way to "fool it" by giving it the info it thinks it wants. No one has figured this out yet?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 14, 2021 09:11PM
.....nacho......libre......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 14, 2021 10:01PM
fauch
There has to be a way to "fool it" by giving it the info it thinks it wants. No one has figured this out yet?

I need Commander Data, to connect to the MS Collective via their subspace channel and put them to 'sleep'.

We just watched the two Star Trek Next Generation episodes in which the Borg arrive at Earth after destroying the Federation armada, but Riker has retrieved Locutus of Borg (Captain Picard), and the 'primitive artificial organism' (as the Borg called him) Data defeats them.

I thought I had a way of fooling the MS Collective, because I have a nightly SuperDuper! clone of my iMac internal drive. So I thought to Change Startup Drive to the clone, which surely would run the existing copy of Office. If that worked, then I could create a new 'sandbox' clone that I could leave at OS 12, and run my old applications when I needed.

But, when I tried it on the existing clone and attempted to open a .doc file, after a long, long wait (the USB 2.0 clone is excruciatingly slow), instead of opening the file I was presented with. . . the Activation window.

Somehow the insidious collective mind of MS knew that the clone was not the same as the internal drive, even though it had identical files and OS, and was running on the same computer! The Collective must be communicating with all its appendages wherever they are.

This is beyond me, so having no Data, I guess I'll just proceed with my system update to 10.13, and just see what works. Most of my text files over the last few years are just .rtf documents, anyway, which anything can read. And Open Office can read Excel files. So what the heck; I never liked MS Word ever since version 5.1 for Mac, back in the System 7 days. Good riddance!

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2021 10:04PM by mrlynn.
Date: February 15, 2021 11:03AM
UPDATE: Just finished installing 10.13.6. So far, no problems, and. . . surprise! Word and Excel seem to work. Opening a document I get a notice saying that Office "Has not been optimized for your Mac," with a Learn More button. That takes me to a document saying Apple is moving to 64-bits, which of course they have done with later OSes, but High Sierra seems to allow 32-bits. But I'm not getting the Activation screen, so all is well for now.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020