advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Remote backup
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 14, 2021 11:10AM
Currently I have three levels of backup. 1) Time Machine attached to computer, 2) Time Machine attached to Airport Extreme at other end of house, 3) rsync backup to bare drive that I keep at my father-in-laws house. I'm wondering if I could rsync to his house instead. What would I need on his end to make this idea work?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Remote backup
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 14, 2021 02:20PM
I've been reading about the Synology DS120j which can be bought diskless for $100-180 (not sure why it varies). Apparently it comes with a backup utility or it can be accessed using rsync and other utils. I'm going to keep researching it but it sounds like a possibility.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 14, 2021 09:33PM
You would at minimum need to open up some ports in his firewall and on a computer at his house. I'd worry about the security of those ports being open. A safer bet would be to setup a point to point encrypted VPN between your houses and then transfer the data over that. You are both going to need some better firewalls for that though. Alternatively, a better firewall at his house and a VPN client on your machine would work as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 14, 2021 10:38PM
C(-)ris
You would at minimum need to open up some ports in his firewall and on a computer at his house. I'd worry about the security of those ports being open. A safer bet would be to setup a point to point encrypted VPN between your houses and then transfer the data over that...

Point to point (always on) is probably not necessary.

Use a router that supports Open VPN (Asus) at the dad's house. The off-site drive is basically a seeded backup, so backups moving forward are incremental and relatively small. Could set up a Mac with a static IP at his house and connect manually every week or so to squirt an update. Could probably work out a script to connect automatically for nightly backups.

...Theoretically.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 15, 2021 02:16PM
You could also look into SyncThing - [syncthing.net]

Install on each end via browser, specify the stuff you want to sync on one end, and then end point on the other side, and it just does it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020