advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 
 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 15, 2021 02:08PM
Running 2 MacBook Pros, mid-2014, on Sierra 10.12.6 with no issues. All current bluetooth devices work well.

Got a bluetooth mouse I would like to use. It pairs, but will not move the cursor.
I have 2 of these mice and have tested each with the 2 MacBook Pros. Researched and performed all troubleshooting with bluetooth. Cursor will not respond, even though the device pairs.

I tested both mice with a third MacBook Pro running Catalina. Both mice work expected. This leads me to conclude that it must be something with Sierra.

Any ideas before I consider upgrading the OS?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 15, 2021 03:45PM
Generally speaking, I prefer High Sierra or Mojave to Sierra (Catalina kills any 32-bit apps you might still be using) so an upgrade sounds good to me.

However, I would make sure you research compatibility through the company who made the mouse. Maybe there is support for it under Sierra but you have to install something?



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 15, 2021 05:02PM
I have contacted them. Still waiting for a response beyond the troubleshooting they sent.

It's a mouse developed via Indiegogo, so I know there's some risk involved. I'm pleased it does work on the other computer, so I'm willing to give them some time to get back to me.

I tend to upgrade if enough things seem to demand it. Not quite there yet, so thought I'd see if there were other things I was missing about bluetooth,

Mouse -
[www.indiegogo.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 15, 2021 05:20PM
I think OS 10.13 (High Sierra) added/changed some things for software developers so the mouse makers might be using some code that doesn't work in 10.12.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 15, 2021 05:21PM
.....so this is an......S.......O.S......???



_____________________________________

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 15, 2021 05:31PM
Shot in the dark... Under Sierra, try this:

Hold down Command+Option while clicking on the BT menu in the menu bar. This reveals the Debug menu.

From the Debug menu, opt to reset the BT module.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 15, 2021 07:23PM
Quote
Sarcany
Shot in the dark... Under Sierra, try this:

Hold down Command+Option while clicking on the BT menu in the menu bar. This reveals the Debug menu.

From the Debug menu, opt to reset the BT module.

Thanks. Already did that a number of times with a number of other troubleshooting tricks - deleting the pairing, rebooting, deleting bluetooth prefs, etc.

I hope the designers figure this out. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work . . .
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 15, 2021 08:10PM
I like High Sierra as a nice MacOS. If it’s easy to test using an external boot drive, give it a try.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 15, 2021 09:02PM
Quote
sekker
I like High Sierra as a nice MacOS. If it’s easy to test using an external boot drive, give it a try.

Thanks. A better choice than Mojave if I want to not deal with 64 bit only right now?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS upgrade . . . should I?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 15, 2021 10:10PM
No, Mojave is fine for that, too. It's Catalina that doesn't support 32-bit apps.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020