advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OK, I did it, I'm embarrassed...
Posted by: DP
Date: February 16, 2021 06:49AM
A few weeks ago I installed a new SSD in my iMac. I set it up but am not using it as for various reasons I've been working off of a bootable external. I shut down my machine last night as I've gotten into the habit of shutting it down now and then to give it a "rest".

So I started up my iMac this morning and it started with the splash screen for my new internal and I realized I had already forgotten the account password. I grabbed my list of PWs and, while I know I wrote it down, I apparently didn't also put it on my PW list and I can't find where I did write it down!

Where do I find it now? Keychain?

Consider me admonished...

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OK, I did it, I'm embarrassed...
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: February 16, 2021 07:15AM
This might help depending on your situation:

[support.apple.com]
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 16, 2021 07:20AM
So long as it's not a M1 or T2 iMac and you haven't opted to tie your login to your Apple ID and you're not using FileVault, you can do the .AppleSetupDone trick in Single User Mode to create a second admin account and then use the new account to reset the PW on the old account.

...Catalina can complicate the operation. Running something pre-Catalina?

[www.theinstructional.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2021 07:21AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 16, 2021 09:43AM
Cool!

Sarcany
So long as it's not a M1 or T2 iMac and you haven't opted to tie your login to your Apple ID and you're not using FileVault, you can do the .AppleSetupDone trick in Single User Mode to create a second admin account and then use the new account to reset the PW on the old account.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 16, 2021 10:11AM
Sarcany

Nope. An old Late '12 2.9 GHz i5 21.5" iMac running Mojave (10.14.6). Since I'm not in dire need I'll check it out later. Thx, all!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 16, 2021 12:44PM
[]I grabbed my list of PWs and, while I know I wrote it down, I apparently didn't also put it on my PW list and I can't find where I did write it down!

Been there, done that.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 16, 2021 01:24PM
I constantly do that! I usually get hung up when it's required to have numbers and upper/lower case combos.

If I can't use my goto passwords, I'm screwed, because I usually jot down the new PW on any available scrap of paper, and when I need it a few months later, it's nowhere to be found.

<Rick-o pulls hair out of head, AGAIN>

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: February 16, 2021 01:43PM
Well, I think I found it but now, I'm in the middle of a project and have to finish that first. Fingers crossed...

Posted by: testcase
Date: February 16, 2021 10:33PM
You're hosed....... banghead smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020