advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Night #2 with no power.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 16, 2021 08:58PM
Low will be in the about 15, better than the 9 it was yesterday.

Monday, The rolling blackouts consisted of <3 min on every hour.

Power went out at 6pm Monday, came back on about noon today.

Power off at 5pm today, no sign of power.

I feel like Texas is well on its way to being a failed state! My relatives in New Mexico and Louisiana feel sorry for/are laughing at Texas!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Night #2 with no power.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 16, 2021 09:02PM

oh that's not that bad...
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 16, 2021 09:04PM
That’s really rough. Hoping they get you guys back online soon. We can go back and forth about politicians and all the combative rhetoric but in reality no one should take any pleasure when average people are suffering.

JoeM
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 16, 2021 09:07PM
Rolando
Low will be in the about 15, better than the 9 it was yesterday.

Power went out at 6pm Monday, came back on about noon today.

Power off at 5pm today, no sign of power.

I feel like Texas is well on its way to being a failed state! My relatives in New Mexico and Louisiana feel sorry for/are laughing at Texas!

I'm not laughing. We just had a 1-2 hour power outage here because Entergy was apparently told by MISO that we're using too much energy, so they're doing rolling blackouts. Would have been nice if they'd have informed us beforehand...

One of my students, who's in Houston, just texted me a video of her kitchen ceiling caving in, as a result of burst pipes ... no power or heat for two days ... I don't know how they're managing.

The only thing I could suggest (other than a generator) is ... kerosene heaters have come down in price quite a bit, and can put out a very nice amount of heat, but of course you still have to be concerned about CO emissions.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: August West
Date: February 16, 2021 09:18PM
Get the fireplace going, and keep water dripping in the faucets. Good luck!

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 16, 2021 09:22PM
Stay warm!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 16, 2021 09:31PM
Fill the gas tank - time for a road trip!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 16, 2021 09:39PM
.....power......to the people......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 16, 2021 10:18PM
What morphing into becoming a second tier country looks like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2021 10:19PM by RgrF.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 16, 2021 11:22PM
Careful on the fireplace- 4 people died locally trying to use a fireplace for heat (it burned down the house).
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 17, 2021 12:54AM
I’m a fan of these:

[www.mrheater.com]

They come in different sizes, and can be connected to a larger propane tank.

“ Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off”
Posted by: DP
Date: February 17, 2021 06:19AM
I feel sorry for all those folks Down South that just aren't used to or ready for this kind of cold. We're not even used to what we have here this morning:

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 17, 2021 07:41AM
Stay safe and warm. Hope the power is back soon.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: February 17, 2021 08:58AM
I can sort of understand the need for short term rolling blackouts in a time of unprecedented use, however, intentionally depriving homes of energy for more than a day borders on criminal. I went 34.5 straight hours without power in Dallas, starting Monday around 6:30AM. Even sleeping with four blankets on top of me and curling into a ball, it was almost intolerably cold. When I went outside to warm myself in the car on Tuesday, the temperature transition from inside to out wasn't even noticeable, and my car read 16 degrees at midday. We have two more days of lows below 20, and it's like an oven in here now, just in case. Good luck to everyone else going through this.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 08:59AM by Marc Anthony.
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 17, 2021 09:17AM
Yikes!
Good luck and I hope it gets straightened out very soon.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 17, 2021 09:29AM
Rolling blackouts would be tolerable, I agree. Tuesday, no power Midnight to noon, and 5pm to Midnight. 5 hours out of 24.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 17, 2021 11:13AM
If only they could defrost the wind turbines.

Seriously, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Hope you stay warm and safe...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Randalls
Date: February 17, 2021 04:01PM
I wonder if this could really work. Tea candle heater.
[youtu.be]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 17, 2021 04:54PM
Randalls
[youtu.be]

Color me skeptical.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 17, 2021 05:42PM
My son's in-laws were working outside of Dallas and living in a travel trailer. They have been without power for two days and ran out of propane. They can't pull out because of the weather. The corporation they were subcontracting to has told them there will be no work and their contract is canceled.

The ironic kicker? Their business is running/repairing power lines.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 18, 2021 01:08AM
Randalls
[youtu.be]

Of course it "works" except 150 BTUs isn't going to cut it. You would need dozens of candles to provide any useful amount of heat.

Posted by: Randalls
Date: February 18, 2021 05:10AM
If it is a question of sealing off a small interior room and having a stock pile of hundred or so tea candles already on hand and using 4 or more at a time I would still try it in an emergency. Granted a situation in Texas that will last for days (weeks?) would not be practical but for a couple of bucks in supplies it might help you survive a couple of freezing nights.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020