Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
February 16, 2000: Apple introduces “Pismo” G3 PowerBook
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 17, 2021 12:11PM

[www.cultofmac.com]

February 16, 2000: Apple introduces the “Pismo” PowerBook, the best of its G3 laptops. In the view of many, it’s one of Apple’s best laptops ever.

The Pismo PowerBook is the first not to include SCSI or an Apple Desktop Bus connector. Instead, it utilizes USB and Apple’s Emmy award-winning FireWire. Optional AirPort wireless support, tremendous battery life and a gorgeous curvy design just make it better.

Apple first showed off the Pismo PowerBook at Macworld Expo Tokyo. The laptop followed the rugged “Wallstreet” G3 PowerBook, released in 1998. Priced at $3,499 for the top-end 500MHz model, the Pismo PowerBook wasn’t cheap. However, it offered great value compared to the 292MHz Wallstreet laptop, which cost $5,600.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: February 16, 2000: Apple introduces “Pismo” G3 PowerBook
Posted by: hal
Date: February 17, 2021 12:20PM
I bought one used - shipped from Ohio for $1500. I can't remember how that happened - pre ebay. Pre Craigslist... but somehow I found an advert for a Pismo refurb that was shipped to replace a fail unit, but the owner just bought another one instead of waiting to get the original one back.

The only reason that I agreed to go forward with the deal was that the seller was a creator of one of my alltime favorite shareware apps (that I can't remember anymore).

It was a great deal and a great unit, but I'm not one of those people that clings to the past. When the ti Powerbook came out, I was smitten and got one asap.

Pismo was great, but people forget how crappy the screen was. The ti screen was lightyears ahead...

I might still have a zip100 module around here - someone need it?
Posted by: DP
Date: February 17, 2021 12:27PM
The first Mac I ever bought. And my Zip drive still works just fine!

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 17, 2021 12:38PM
What a great machine. Mine came as an upgrade from the terrible PowerMac 190 - I traded it in plus $2k for a nice Pismo.

The Pismo was used for more than a decade.

EDIT: In the end, I replaced the Pismo as a daily driver with a Lapzilla, 17" PBG4. Took an amazing and classic machine to replace the Pismo - but the jump to the Pismo was far bigger than Pismo to PB17.

I happened to have used a Lombard machine, and on paper the Pismo was an incremental update. Just not true. So many nice features etc.

My wonderful Better Half gladly took the Pismo off my hands when I graduated to the PB17. She used it for years, I ended up replacing the power daughter board 3 times (and stopped fixing it only because I could not get parts). She has reflected over the years how great a machine that was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 01:37PM by sekker.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 17, 2021 01:02PM
In the view of many, it’s one of Apple’s best laptops ever.

Hand raised here. Comparatively speaking, THE BEST EVER.

Still have it. Bought new from MacWarehouse. Dual boots Tiger and OS 9.x. Thought about trying the Leopard hack on it, but never got around to it. Left all prior Mac laptops in the dust. While the screen isn't quite Retina level, and the CFL backlighting could've been improved upon, it was one of our most productive Macs since personal computers were invented. Traded the zip100 in for a zip250, and still have the optical and floppy modules. Pismo Phanboy Phorever. Holding out now for M2 laptop, but it would augment the fleet, maybe replace aging MBA or MBP, but the Pismo stays!
cool smiley
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 17, 2021 01:09PM
Like Buzz, I still have mine - just gathering dust.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 17, 2021 01:38PM
I loved mine. It got a bulging battery and the replacement battery didn't work, but if I cared to, I could still use it plugged in. I inherited Gutenberg's MacBook so that was it, although it's still in the house.
EDIT: the battery problem was after eons of use, it was already very long in the tooth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 01:42PM by $tevie.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: February 17, 2021 02:36PM
I loved my Pismo. I still have it stowed away but haven't plugged it in for ages. The Armani of laptops.
Date: February 17, 2021 02:49PM
Just noting that the Pismo is also a classic representation of an Apple innovation without Steve Jobs.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 17, 2021 02:57PM
Why is it that the Pismo seems to be so much more highly regarded than its predecessor, the Lombard? My Lombard has SCSI. If I want Firewire, I've got a card for that. I get many hours out of my battery (recently rebuilt). Go Lombard!
Posted by: p8712
Date: February 17, 2021 03:08PM
Still the best keyboard EVER, easy expansion, upgrades, and repair. Stick an M1 in one and I'd buy another.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 17, 2021 03:28PM
I still have one that works
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 17, 2021 03:36PM
I have several of the Pismos ... some of them having been returned from service by Apple, so essentially in brand new condition. They are, without a doubt, one of the most comfortable laptops to use... the only thing I don't like about them is their incredible heft, lugging one around compared to today's laptops is a chore.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 17, 2021 03:38PM
I had a Wallstreet. Same design, but chubbier. Great lookin' laptop!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 17, 2021 03:40PM
I dunno about people banging on about the Pismo's keyboard. I have 3 of them, as well as a Lombard and 2 Wallstreets. The Wallstreet KB is much nicer to type on, it feels more precise. Though the best KB ever in an Apple laptop is the PB1400. That thing was a rock. And with a G3 upgrade in it, the PB1400 was a decent machine. The PB1400 and the PB100 are the only machines I'm missing in my classic Apple laptop collection. OK, and the Luggable. That don't count.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 17, 2021 04:20PM
Curvy and beautiful.

(Talkin bout the computer, folks.)
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: February 17, 2021 04:50PM
S. Pupp
Why is it that the Pismo seems to be so much more highly regarded than its predecessor, the Lombard? My Lombard has SCSI. If I want Firewire, I've got a card for that. I get many hours out of my battery (recently rebuilt). Go Lombard!

Maybe it was the bus? I mean the Pismo was 100 mhz vs. the Lombard (66 I believe).

All I know is I had a bunch of them (I was buying and selling) and it was the prettiest, most elegant laptop I ever handled. Also the only one I could completely tear apart and build from scratch. Just a joy to use.

....I just ordered an MI MacBook Air.
Date: February 17, 2021 04:52PM
S. Pupp

I had both, but the only advantage of the Lombard was a better trackpad.

The Pismo was subtly better in almost every way, even in options that were not noted on the spec sheet.

The Lombard was the second gen product, the Wall Street was the first gen, the Pismo the polished Apple product.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 17, 2021 05:30PM
Lew Zealand
I dunno about people banging on about the Pismo's keyboard. I have 3 of them, as well as a Lombard and 2 Wallstreets. The Wallstreet KB is much nicer to type on, it feels more precise. Though the best KB ever in an Apple laptop is the PB1400. That thing was a rock. And with a G3 upgrade in it, the PB1400 was a decent machine. The PB1400 and the PB100 are the only machines I'm missing in my classic Apple laptop collection. OK, and the Luggable. That don't count.

I had two PB1400's, upgraded the heck outa one of 'em, kept the other fairly stock. Gave the upgraded one to a client, and traded the stock-ish one in on a PB3400 which lasted until it was supplanted by the Pismo. Kept the PB3400 around for a few years because it went to Hawaii w/ us several times, and I got a surprising amount of work done while Mrs. Buzz tended to Baby Buzz, so there was lots of sentiment there. Eventually gave it to Harbourmaster for one of his siblings after Pismo's sentiment eclipsed it.

There were Lombards and Wall Streets in the work fleet that I borrowed on occasion, but I had an early wifi implementation hooked up to PB3400, so when the Pismo hit town w/ its native FW and AirPort card slot, I finally had to jump on board. I'm hoping the M2 laptop will be the second coming of Pismo.
==
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 17, 2021 06:49PM
"Hand raised here. Comparatively speaking, THE BEST EVER."

AGREE 100%

Apple offered a new Pismo at a very good price when owners of the 5300 "Flame-O-Matic" relinquished said 5300. The Pismo was, in my opinion, the ABSOLUTE BEST "Road Warrior" machine. I had just about every "add on" that was available which made the Pismo as useful as any desktop computer could be. I SORELY miss the versatility that the Pismo (and later, the last 17" MBP) offered. If today, Apple offered such a utilitarian laptop, especially with a BIG screen, I believe Apple would have a hard time keeping up with demand. "Thin" is NOT the answer for everybody.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 17, 2021 06:49PM
Buzz
I'm hoping the M2 laptop will be the second coming of Pismo.

I recall the I iBook 14" was called "Son of Pismo"!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: p8712
Date: February 17, 2021 07:07PM
Rolando
Buzz
I'm hoping the M2 laptop will be the second coming of Pismo.

I recall the I iBook 14" was called "Son of Pismo"!

Bastard son....
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 17, 2021 07:26PM
Lew Zealand

Yep, 1400 keyboard was my fave (I cranked out a book and endless ad copy on it), and Pismo close second (screenplays and ads on that one). Upgraded the 1400 with a Newer processor circa '98. When the iMac 400 came out in green, I thought I could be turned from lappies. After two months, the answer was a big NOPE. Pismo 400 came out right around that time and that was IT for me.

So Pismo became my daily driver and my fave Mac of all time (thus far). Design was beautiful, innovative and crazy-good functional. Still have the Pismo. I'm sure it still works. Had the iBook 900 after that, it was pretty good but for the mobo issues, so ultimately an ugh on the 900. Several 'Books since, never did go back to dt. Looking forward to M1 14" 'Book. Soon. I suspect it'll give the Pismo some solid competition.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 17, 2021 11:15PM
Had one of those at work. Loved it. Went from that to a G4 Aluminum Powerbook. That was quite the upgrade.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: zachdog
Date: February 18, 2021 07:16AM
I bought one new in April 2000. I upgraded it with a 500MHz G4 (perhaps this was a Newer Tech hack?) card a couple of years later and it ran very hot with that mod.

Eventually I got a TiBook and of course the hinges failed after a while. Then an AlBook and I managed to dent that one up too. Apple has never made anything as well-built and beautiful as the Pismo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020