advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Austin TX woman heads to 7/11 finds...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 17, 2021 10:42PM
...Hour 62 of no power in central Austin: One of my neighbors walked to 7-11 a couple hours ago and found a dead woman frozen on the sidewalk. Those are the conditions here in Austin, Texas, for those inclined to make jokes about how weak or stupid we are.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Austin TX woman heads to 7/11 finds...
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 17, 2021 11:26PM
Could she be from Florida? dunno smiley
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 18, 2021 04:30AM
That's just awful.

There was a similar story a week ago about a Canadian lady who died walking home from her next door neighbor's house.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 18, 2021 06:06AM
Just chatted (ichat) with my buddy. Didn't realize they are in TX on vacation. It is bad... slept in the 28 degree car for 3 nights... Rationing whatever they could find to eat. Was able to get cold soup from a a church and find a loaf of bread and lunch meat from a convenient store. The hospitals full of deceased people (froze to death). All "green energy" failed (From what he is saying). Finally able to leave Bolivar Peninsula and find one room 2 hours away with water and heat. He said it's horrible and hoping to be able to get a flight home to Michigan Saturday.

I'm sorry but I knew it was bad but didn't know it was THIS BAD.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: February 18, 2021 06:25AM
yah - it's really bad when you have to go to Michigan to warm up from being in Texas...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 18, 2021 06:43AM
spacescape
Just chatted (ichat) with my buddy. Didn't realize they are in TX on vacation...

I don't get this.

A LOT of people are taking vacations right now. Without having been vaccinated. Deliberately traveling to places with relaxed pandemic laws. With the intention of abandoning pandemic precautions. And then they're gonna come back and spread the disease across their entire path.

I know we all need breaks right now. It's a stressful time. But not like that.

Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 18, 2021 07:18AM
Sarcany
spacescape
Just chatted (ichat) with my buddy. Didn't realize they are in TX on vacation...

I don't get this.

A LOT of people are taking vacations right now. Without having been vaccinated. Deliberately traveling to places with relaxed pandemic laws. With the intention of abandoning pandemic precautions. And then they're gonna come back and spread the disease across their entire path.

Didn't know he even went. However, the whole family just got over covid (following all the guidelines in MI for 9+ months). I do know what you are saying though.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 18, 2021 07:33AM
spacescape
All "green energy" failed (From what he is saying).

All of it failed, not just "green energy", which only accounts for about 20% of the energy produced in Texas. And the reason the wind turbines failed was because Texas, which has its own power grid and doesn't have to follow federal mandates, didn't bother to weatherize them like they do in every other state that uses them. Hubris.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 18, 2021 07:49AM
rz
spacescape

All of it failed, not just "green energy", which only accounts for about 20% of the energy produced in Texas. And the reason the wind turbines failed was because Texas, which has its own power grid and doesn't have to follow federal mandates, didn't bother to weatherize them like they do in every other state that uses them. Hubris.

Oddly enough, they actually do have wind turbines in places with colder weather than Texas.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 18, 2021 08:14AM
pdq
rz
spacescape

Oddly enough, they actually do have wind turbines in places with colder weather than Texas.

Says who? wink smiley

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 18, 2021 08:22AM
Says the Governor. He walked back his comments blaming the failure of "green energy"
Posted by: raz
Date: February 18, 2021 08:26AM
Speedy
pdq
rz
spacescape

Says who? wink smiley

Well, they work in the Arctic link

And Canada link

And Finland link

and ...

All you need to do is weatherize them properly - though the efficiency does drop in extreme cold weather.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: February 18, 2021 08:32AM
Sarcany
spacescape

I don't get this.

We left Minnesota for southern Texas in mid-December to visit our son and his wife and for a warmer clime. We traveled by car. For gas, I fueled and my wife opened the car door and Purelled my hands before I got back in the car. Same for the credit card. We ate at McDonalds via the drive-thrus, everyone masked. We did stay one night in a motel that had individual outside access to each room. Lots of plexiglass in the lobby to check into our rooms, booked online. No check-in at our AirBnB with keypad lock. We wore KN95 masks. My son works from home but his wife works retail.

We stayed a week or so and headed to visit my father in Florida. With him, we ate exclusively at outdoor restaurants at off-peak hours. He lived in an RV. We stayed in an ‘outside entrance to our room’ motel which was mostly empty between Christmas and New Year’s Day, then returned to Texas. The next day after our return we got our first dose of Moderna. We did exclusively drive-thru until 12 days after our second dose (Feb. 2) but, of course, we still mask, maintain social distance, etc.

I have yet to see anyone, save young children, without masks indoors. We ate outside my son’s apartment until the cold snap when we moved indoors (12 days post second dose) but he (age 28) is the only one unvaccinated and he goes nowhere. His wife has a qualifying condition for vaccination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2021 10:20AM by Speedy.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 18, 2021 09:42AM
Travel can absolutely be done, as Speedy has written. There will always be stupid people but you can't punish the whole class because little Timmy can't behave. We travel around by car within our state and to a neighboring state regularly since about May of last year. There are no amusement parks open nor do we stay in hotels and sit by the bar, since that doesn't exist at the moment.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 18, 2021 09:52AM
My son's in-laws were working outside Dallas and are living in a travel trailer. Power has been mostly out and they ran out of propane, so no heat or cooking options. They are using their truck heaters to stay warm but don't want to run the gas down to empty, so are watching that as well. They can't pull out because the RV park has no way to plow the roads (and even then the roads are pretty impassible outside the park as well).

Their employer has cancelled the job, so they are not getting paid and told there will be no work there forthcoming.

the kicker? they repair/install utility lines

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: February 18, 2021 10:47AM
Ombligo
the kicker? they repair/install utility lines

I saw one lineman’s truck over the past four days. They were driving down the road. This is not a distribution nor transmission problem in our area in the south of Texas, IMHO. It is a generating issue. Our ice was minimal (we are a dozen miles from the frontier with Mexico) albeit there was also a lot of wind. We got above freezing every day. No local media that I can find is reporting about why there is no water nor, for that matter, why there is no power. I spoke with a LEO yesterday who did not know why the city had water problems. We are under a boil water notice but our AirBnB has an electric range and no power. Bottled water, good luck finding any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2021 10:47AM by Speedy.
Posted by: numbered
Date: February 18, 2021 11:10AM
The distribution problems were minimal, mostly related to places where iced trees lost limbs.

The biggest problem was the supply chain for gas: pumps froze, pipelines froze, demand rose, and the power plants did not have gas to generate. Also one of the four nuke reactors (2 at 2 plants) went off line. Also, there was some maintenance on plants that did not get delayed because of the cold warning.

Added to this, the Texas grid is, by design, cut off from the Eastern and Western interties. A few counties in East Texas are connected, as well as El Paso and a few panhandle counties. For the most part the Texans want to tell the feds (aka the FERC) to buzz off. Because of this, they could not wheel any power to save the day.

Renewables are mostly wind. They resisted allowing solar until recently. It is 10% or so this time of year in their forecasts.

The worst part is that this happened in 2011 during a similar event. The FERC did a study (as did the state) and told them that they had to winterize the gas infrastructure or this would happen again. But who wants to pay for that?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 18, 2021 11:40AM
Serious question: Why don't they just leave? Pack up and go, time for a road trip North(Or south). I don't understand why you would just sit and freeze.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 18, 2021 11:44AM
C(-)ris
Serious question: Why don't they just leave? Pack up and go, time for a road trip North(Or south). I don't understand why you would just sit and freeze.

You may have an exaggerated sense of how mobile and well-resourced many homeless people are.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 18, 2021 12:07PM
rjmacs
C(-)ris

You may have an exaggerated sense of how mobile and well-resourced many homeless people are.

I was thinking of others. I see plenty of people commenting on social media about how bad it is, and they are perfectly capable of driving somewhere warm.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 18, 2021 12:33PM
There will always be stupid people but you can't punish the whole class because little Timmy can't behave.

Sure we can.

It's what humans do, with someone or something we don't like.

We don't need proof, we just need opinion based on one or two data points that offend us.

It's the human way.

Been done, is being done, will always be done.

But it's no excuse.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 18, 2021 12:34PM
C(-)ris
rjmacs
C(-)ris

I was thinking of others. I see plenty of people commenting on social media about how bad it is, and they are perfectly capable of driving somewhere warm.

Gotcha - I was thinking of the OP, but your comment makes sense in light of others' so-called 'predicaments.'

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: February 18, 2021 01:11PM
The hotels/motels here were booked a day in advance. Old hands knew what was in store for the region. You had to hope your rental was spared.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 18, 2021 02:09PM
rjmacs
C(-)ris
rjmacs
C(-)ris

Gotcha - I was thinking of the OP, but your comment makes sense in light of others' so-called 'predicaments.'

It can depend on where they are. No power means no gas available at stations, they need electricity to pump the gas. So you have a full tank, that could get you a few hundred miles, but then you have to refuel. Doable if you were close enough to an area not affected, but TX is a big state with a lot of areas still with ice and snow, and no place to refuel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2021 02:09PM by JoeH.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 18, 2021 04:03PM
Has anyone verified the sourced of this story? Is it in a newspaper somewhere?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 18, 2021 04:58PM
I hear Cancun has some hotel space.
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 18, 2021 05:43PM
“ Has anyone verified the sourced of this story? Is it in a newspaper somewhere? “

I haven’t run across a source for that story, but:

[news.yahoo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 37
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020