advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you think any of these Craigslist Dreamers ever have their day in the sun?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 18, 2021 02:40PM
I see some camera and lenses at nearly new list price for items that are older than 3-5 years. Do you think any of these Craigslist Dreamers ever have their day in the sun? They repeatedly post the item without changing the price over spans of months. It appears they never check ebay to see what going rates are. I have seen this on Craigslist or any other listing service. Are they out of touch or do some of these people get lucky and get asking price somehow? Maybe someone is in desperate need of the item then, there, and now?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2021 04:33PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you think any of these Craigslist Dreamers ever have their day in the sun?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 18, 2021 02:54PM
Sucker.....Minute.....
==
Re: Do you think any of these Craigslist Dreamers ever have their day in the sun?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 18, 2021 03:30PM
On average? Of course not. Market values are market values after all.

I recently found a GREAT way to see lower used prices:

1) Finally buy the thing. Prices are what they are.
2) A week later, see another example of the thing offered for like 20-40% less. Twice.
3) There is no Step 3.

Now, to be fair, I got exactly what I wanted, a mint-condition 6D with low shutter count at a fair price. After tax, I paid about $520 on eBay. Usually the mint copies are more like $600 and up, before tax.

But many of them are rough. Missing a mode dial. Missing the eyecup. Can't they buy a new one so that at least it looks as if they care?? For some reason, the back screen gets damaged easily. I get that it's plastic, and not glass like on the various 5D models, but what the heck are people doing? None of my gear ever looks like it came near sandpaper.

I passed on earlier skanky example closer to $400 or even $350, wondering if maybe I should have just picked one up and further bludgeoned it without a care like the previous owners all did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2021 03:31PM by deckeda.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 18, 2021 03:40PM
The random things put on CL for sale is ming boggling. expecting people to pay money for it is even more weird

Heres one of the first 10 -- exactly *who* would want/need be looking for this:

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 18, 2021 03:49PM
FB Marketplace is where the real action is for bizarre stuff.

Poor Tercel owner, those items may be the only things left of it!
Posted by: hal
Date: February 18, 2021 03:50PM
There is still a subset of people that will not buy anything over the internet. And there are always people that decide that TODAY, they must get this particular model camera. If there is one available on craigslist, they are thrilled and pay the price.

There are all kinds of people out there operating under all kinds of motivations. Many are simply beyond our imagination.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: February 18, 2021 03:54PM
hal
...there are always people that decide that TODAY, they must get this particular model camera...

yeah - discovered that a few months ago - sold off my first 2 MP digital camera (from around 2002) for $150. I was glad to be rid of the thing, but there were a few folks bidding on it. I guess it must still have a following.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 18, 2021 03:57PM
I've had fewer people biting on the few eBay listings I've had for months. My prices are on line with the other listings but I think this is a barometer for the economic times we are entering (and in).
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: February 18, 2021 04:17PM
Yeah, I see the same crappy WalMart tools listed over and over again with a bunch of keywording for big brands such as DeWalt, Makita and Milwaukie. Nobody wants your crappy tools or they would just go to the store and buy them new. I know of one listing that has been running on my local CL for over a year now.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 18, 2021 04:19PM
I think many folks selling on Craigslist are greed or ill-informed.

I've done ok buying used HP work-group printers, mostly from small businesses.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 18, 2021 07:41PM
Then there's the opposite. I posted something the other day under the "free" section. It was an above-ground pool (used, but in decent condition), along with upgraded sand filter ($200 new), cover, ladder, leaf vacuum (~$50 new). All free. Just asked that whoever wanted it would help me take it apart. I had over 25 people respond within the first two hours. I insisted they respond with their phone number (about half did). Next morning, the first person to respond was supposed to show up at 9. At 9:30 he sent some bogus excuse why he can't come until late that night. I contacted the next 4 people. Only one called back, saying she needed to find someone with a truck.

I finally took it apart myself (took about an hour), dragged the liner to the curb and threw away the frame. I'm going to sell the other parts. Someone eventually came and took the liner.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 19, 2021 02:36PM
rz
Then there's the opposite. I posted something the other day under the "free" section. It was an above-ground pool (used, but in decent condition), along with upgraded sand filter ($200 new), cover, ladder, leaf vacuum (~$50 new). All free. Just asked that whoever wanted it would help me take it apart. I had over 25 people respond within the first two hours. I insisted they respond with their phone number (about half did). I finally took it apart myself (took about an hour), dragged the liner to the curb and threw away the frame. I'm going to sell the other parts. Someone eventually came and took the liner.

Sadly, in my experienc, always a problem with anything "free". Be it a free item on CL or a free movie in the park.

Put $50 on it and someone actually will come.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 19, 2021 03:26PM
jdc
rz
Then there's the opposite. I posted something the other day under the "free" section. It was an above-ground pool (used, but in decent condition), along with upgraded sand filter ($200 new), cover, ladder, leaf vacuum (~$50 new). All free. Just asked that whoever wanted it would help me take it apart. I had over 25 people respond within the first two hours. I insisted they respond with their phone number (about half did). I finally took it apart myself (took about an hour), dragged the liner to the curb and threw away the frame. I'm going to sell the other parts. Someone eventually came and took the liner.

Sadly, in my experienc, always a problem with anything "free". Be it a free item on CL or a free movie in the park.

Put $50 on it and someone actually will come.

yep - me too - NEVER offer anything for free. As an uncle once put it, 'people don't respect anything that's free'. IF you had listed that thing in a 'for sale' area and put a $5 price on it, I bet your problem would have been taken care of. The people that scour the 'free stuff' area are scum - without exception.

Also... NEVER post anything as 'free - just come to my address and pick the stuff up - I'll leave them on the lawn next to the street'. That's an invitation to steal ANYTHING that isn't nailed down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020