advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
‘Rona in da house...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 19, 2021 09:54AM
Daughter had a positive test. I’m going for mine in an hour. Mrs Cbelt3 has been feeling more poorly than usual, so have I. No real respiratory issues yet, just major fatigue and GI symptoms. Daughter’s fiancée is feeling tired, but #1 son is feeling okay and staying away from everyone.

Hopefully this is a mild case. We probably started a week ago.

It kind of explains why I’ve been so tired and unmotivated for the last week.

Daughter probably got it from a friend they visited two weekends ago.

Kind of amazing we have been okay for 11 months, so I will chalk that up as a win.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ‘Rona in da house...
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 19, 2021 09:56AM
Hope you are negative.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 19, 2021 09:57AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully your test comes back negative. Will your wife be getting tested?

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 19, 2021 10:13AM
.....prognosis negative........hope.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 19, 2021 10:17AM
If you or your wife are positive, see if there’s a monoclonal antibody treatment near you [protect-public.hhs.gov]. It’s best given within 10 days of symptoms and has been saving lives.

Hopefully neither of you have it.
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 19, 2021 10:22AM
Pam
If you or your wife are positive, see if there’s a monoclonal antibody treatment near you [protect-public.hhs.gov]. It’s best given within 10 days of symptoms and has been saving lives.

This maybe a better link [covid.infusioncenter.org]
Posted by: p8712
Date: February 19, 2021 10:55AM
Best of luck to you all.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 19, 2021 11:14AM
I hope those that do have it all end up with mild cases.

I'm curious though, mainly to those who have replied, for the people who are sick, why do we want them to not have it? It seems like if they're mildly sick, have had it for a week, that it would be better for them to have it than to not. While it won't offer perpetual immunity, will give a sense of closure. If you're sick, wouldn't you want it to have been covid, rather than still not know how your body is going to respond if/when you get it?

I say that as my family has had it, and it brought a lot of relief after they had it.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: numbered
Date: February 19, 2021 11:25AM
MAVIC
why do we want them to not have it

You are right that if you could know it was a gentle case, getting it behind you is a good thing. The problem is that for lots of the cases, the really bad symptoms start after 10 days. And then the hill can be steep.

And then there is the fraction of cases with long term effects. It is a small number but given 25m cases in the US there are lots of folks with serious issues (from cognitive to cardiovascular) many months later.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 19, 2021 11:26AM
Fingers crossed for you and the family cbelt3.

=wr=
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 19, 2021 11:29AM
M A V I C

I'm curious though, mainly to those who have replied, for the people who are sick, why do we want them to not have it? It seems like if they're mildly sick, have had it for a week, that it would be better for them to have it than to not. While it won't offer perpetual immunity, will give a sense of closure. If you're sick, wouldn't you want it to have been covid, rather than still not know how your body is going to respond if/when you get it?

I say that as my family has had it, and it brought a lot of relief after they had it.

Cbelt, wishing you a quick and routine cold outcome.

I went to the doc for a routine visit last week, I told him about being sick the prior week and the fever, etc. He was sure it was the rona. He sent me for a test which came back negative. I was mildly disappointed that I didn't get a positive for the reasons you say. I sort of knew it wasn't based on my symptoms, so my only satisfaction was being correct In that assumption.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 11:34AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 19, 2021 11:41AM
Pam
Pam

This, this, this.
If you can get it, do.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 19, 2021 11:42AM
Hopes for a negative result! As long as you and Mrs. Belty don't have too many respiratory ailments, you both should handle this just fine even if positive.
Date: February 19, 2021 11:43AM
numbered
MAVIC

You are right that if you could know it was a gentle case, getting it behind you is a good thing. The problem is that for lots of the cases, the really bad symptoms start after 10 days. And then the hill can be steep.

And then there is the fraction of cases with long term effects. It is a small number but given 25m cases in the US there are lots of folks with serious issues (from cognitive to cardiovascular) many months later.

Makes sense. For my son, he came down with symptoms and we had him tested the same day. Test results came back three days later, and he was fully recovered by then. Clearly age plays into it.

mrbigstuff
M A V I C

Cbelt, wishing you a quick and routine cold outcome.

I went to the doc for a routine visit last week, I told him about being sick the prior week and the fever, etc. He was sure it was the rona. He sent me for a test which came back negative. I was mildly disappointed that I didn't get a positive for the reasons you say. I sort of knew it wasn't based on my symptoms, so my only satisfaction was being correct In that assumption.

My wife was really sick last winter. She later did the antibody test (which I don't think is all that accurate) and it came back negative. She was bummed. When she did have it, she lost her sense of taste and smell. Then she researched how long it took people to recover and was not happy to learn of people who never got it back. Fortunately, a study had just been done that showed it wasn't nerve damage, but inflammation that causes it. She went on a really strict diet (can't taste anything anyway) and started getting it back in a couple days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 11:44AM by M A V I C.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: February 19, 2021 11:44AM
numbered
MAVIC

As someone who has had two patients die this week alone from Covid-19 (one of whom got it, along with her husband, from their daughter), I do not wish it upon anyone, mild case or not. So, using MAVIC's logic, you get a mild case. So mild, in fact that you don't really think anything of the symptoms you may or may not have. Because your guard is not up, you end up passing it on to someone else who may have worse symptoms than you. Or they may have mild symptoms as well but then pass it along to their elderly parent or grandparent.

This is not the time to be letting our guard down!! Get vaccinated when you can. Continue to wear a mask. Continue to socially distance.

Best of luck, Cbelt3. I hope that you and the family are negative and do well. I believe you and your wife qualify for the vaccine. Get it ASAP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 11:44AM by DavidS.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 19, 2021 11:45AM

Fine if everyone has mild cases, and don't spread the virus to many others. Not so fine if there are complications, comorbities, and so on. Also no guarantee you won't get it again or have problems related to the virus pop up days or weeks later. Depending on other issues a person infected can still be spreading the virus well after they "had it".
Date: February 19, 2021 11:53AM
DavidS
numbered
MAVIC

As someone who has had two patients die this week alone from Covid-19 (one of whom got it, along with her husband, from their daughter), I do not wish it upon anyone, mild case or not. So, using MAVIC's logic, you get a mild case. So mild, in fact that you don't really think anything of the symptoms you may or may not have. Because your guard is not up, you end up passing it on to someone else who may have worse symptoms than you. Or they may have mild symptoms as well but then pass it along to their elderly parent or grandparent.

This is not the time to be letting our guard down!! Get vaccinated when you can. Continue to wear a mask. Continue to socially distance.

Best of luck, Cbelt3. I hope that you and the family are negative and do well. I believe you and your wife qualify for the vaccine. Get it ASAP.

Woah, how did you jump to that conclusion? Where did I say people shouldn't quarantine while they have it (or waiting for a test to get back)? Did I say they shouldn't get tested? I never said anything like that or suggested anything that you said.

Date: February 19, 2021 11:57AM
JoeH

Fine if everyone has mild cases, and don't spread the virus to many others. Not so fine if there are complications, comorbities, and so on. Also no guarantee you won't get it again or have problems related to the virus pop up days or weeks later. Depending on other issues a person infected can still be spreading the virus well after they "had it".

Yes, if a person doesn't quarantine and follow the guidelines, they can still spread it even if mild. I didn't say anyone should do that.

When I had it, the latest research showed you would be immune for at least three months. As of January, the research is showing immunity for at least eight months. And for those who do it get it again, the symptoms have been mild - some cases haven't even had symptoms.

Posted by: rz
Date: February 19, 2021 12:34PM
cbelt3

If that's the case, then I've had it for the last couple of years... sick smiley
Posted by: DavidS
Date: February 19, 2021 12:39PM
M A V I C
DavidS
numbered
MAVIC

Woah, how did you jump to that conclusion? Where did I say people shouldn't quarantine while they have it (or waiting for a test to get back)? Did I say they shouldn't get tested? I never said anything like that or suggested anything that you said.

M A V I C
for the people who are sick, why do we want them to not have it? It seems like if they're mildly sick, have had it for a week, that it would be better for them to have it than to not.
THIS is what I was basing my comments on. These were reasons why we don't want people to contract Covid-19. We don't know who is going to do fine and who is going to die (and everything in between). I've had too many patients and friends (of all ages) die unnecessarily over the last year from this.

My comments about mask wearing, social distancing, and getting the vaccine were my own and not based on what you typed, which is why I separated it from the previous paragraph. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused you.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 19, 2021 12:41PM
M A V I C
JoeH

Yes, if a person doesn't quarantine and follow the guidelines, they can still spread it even if mild. I didn't say anyone should do that.

I didn't say anything about you following guidelines or not. What I did say is that even after having "had it", people can spread the virus.

All too often the language you used is also used by the "herd immunity", "let's all get it, it's not that bad" crowd to justify not needing to follow guidelines after "getting it".

When I had it, the latest research showed you would be immune for at least three months. As of January, the research is showing immunity for at least eight months. And for those who do it get it again, the symptoms have been mild - some cases haven't even had symptoms.

As for the research you cite, most of that is waiting peer review and confirmation from other researchers. Yes, there is an indication that for many there is some immunity that lasts for a period of months. But, there is limited research on how well that works against some of the other variants that are showing up, and who it does not provide immunity for any length of time.

For those who do get it again and are asymptomatic, that of course can lead to them unintentionally being spreaders again.
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 19, 2021 12:50PM
I hope you DO get it, but it so mild you wouldn't even know! No symptoms, side effects or anything! Then you won't have to worry about getting it any more!

My wife got it and her only symptom was loss of taste & smell. 6 weeks later she is just getting her smell and taste back.

Good luck!

John P. Kelly
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 19, 2021 01:37PM
Be well, take good care of you and your family!
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 19, 2021 02:05PM
We had a false positive test in our house right before the New Year. Many of the rapid tests have 5% false-positive rates - that seems like a small chance, but it really isn't.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 19, 2021 02:18PM
rz
cbelt3

If that's the case, then I've had it for the last couple of years... sick smiley

LOL! Let me join that club!

Seriously, I hope things turn for the better at the cbelt3 household. smiley-signs003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 19, 2021 02:35PM
I’m with those suggesting getting the antibody infusion. Just do it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 19, 2021 02:51PM
Do you happen to have one of those finger pulse-oximeters?

If you do, use it - often. If you get consistent readings in the 80’s, head to the ER, no matter how you’re feeling.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 19, 2021 03:08PM
rgG
Pam
Pam

This, this, this.
If you can get it, do.

I was going to post the link, but see it’s already been done. Best wishes for a positive outcome and speedy recovery to those in your family that have it.

JoeM
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 19, 2021 04:19PM
Why the dislike for My Sha Rona?

Seriously, CBelt -fingers crossed for you and your family.
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 19, 2021 05:27PM
pdq
Do you happen to have one of those finger pulse-oximeters?

If you do, use it - often. If you get consistent readings in the 80’s, head to the ER, no matter how you’re feeling.

Good advice!

Best wishes for your family!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 19, 2021 06:23PM
Speedy
I’m with those suggesting getting the antibody infusion. Just do it.

Yes, I was going to say the same thing.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: February 19, 2021 06:42PM
A week ago? It’s on its way out...
My best wishes!!
Posted by: August West
Date: February 19, 2021 07:31PM
In my thoughts, belty.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 19, 2021 08:17PM
......my....sha'rona......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 19, 2021 10:47PM
Hope you don't get it!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 20, 2021 09:35PM
JPK
I hope you DO get it, but it so mild you wouldn't even know! No symptoms, side effects or anything! Then you won't have to worry about getting it any more!

My wife got it and her only symptom was loss of taste & smell. 6 weeks later she is just getting her smell and taste back.

Good luck!

John P. Kelly

You know, if this were maybe last April or May, I'd say OK perhaps that's the case. But it's February, and we know a heck of a lot more than we did this time last year.

There's very little about getting Covid-19 that makes sense as being a good and hopeful outcome. Like, zero. If the goal is not get sick "next time," why not avoid it this time, thereby possibly avoiding the spread of a pandemic? Is there some mysterious downside to mitigation?

On the other hand, perhaps the virus isn't contagious and we can all just get independently sick (but not feel sick) as if by magic, without ever giving it to anyone else.

Then you won't have to worry about getting it any more!

Who told you that? Meanwhile, people who don't feel sick literally kill others.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 58
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020