advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New house... 40 days out
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 20, 2021 11:09AM
Ive mentioned a few times how we were moving into a new house... just got the final movie in date -- April 1. We are in Roseville, CA. big suburbia. About 25 minutes from downtown Sacramento. Its a basic track home, nothing special. They kinda cram them in here. My lot is 7500 SF, which is amazingly one of the bigger ones. think the largest might be 10000, but its a corner or in a cul-de-sac. 50 ft from the back of the house to the fence. 12 feet to the house on the right, 22 on the left. Sadly the homes to my left are crammed in even tighter. Big homes, nice inside, but 10 feet to the fence, which puts them closer to us than I would like... but way better than many of the other lots. Hate the color but they only give you 3 options. Wife wants to paint the door and shutters ASAP.

Best thing is the view out the front door, which is nothing... or nothing for as far as you can see. They plan on building it up.. but people are saying 10 years. Not sure if they are just being optimistic... or hopeful. I think we are planning on 10, maybe 15 years, then taking the equity and getting something small and retiring.

In CA, lots of "required" things. Solar is mandatory. Fire sprinklers are mandatory. Theres a "fresh air" system separate from the AC/heat now mandatory.

Standard tankless water heater, with a remote? They throw on a Ring doorbell and nest thermostats. Got a big panel box in the downstairs closet, all rooms wired for cat6. Just need to throw a switch in.

The "upgrades" can kill you. The ugliest Bathroom/kitchen sinks are free, basic undermount for the bathroom is $300 each. Want lights over the kitchen island? $400 each + $200 for the ceiling box. Cant skip the lights. Want additional ceiling boxes? $350 each + have to install a fan. CA code. $300 for box + $400 for a fan. Cant skip the fan.

No backyard, they just leave dirt.

Prob not a shock to anyone that has bought a new house... but we were in the last place almost 18 years.... so still some new things.

Will do some more updates as time goes on.

EDIT-- panoramic shot from front door earlier today...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 07:39PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New house... 40 days out
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 20, 2021 11:13AM
Congrats.

Still those are some serious price gouging add-ons.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 20, 2021 11:38AM
Nice. I would love a house like that... maybe in the middle of 20 acres or so. grinning smiley

Seriously, I would want more space between houses, but that's just me.

I'm still looking for the house I'm going to die in, located in MI's U.P.

I have one in my sights, secluded and on Lake Superior. I'm going to try to grab this one before someone else beats me to the punch. Like the last half dozen I was ready to buy! smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 20, 2021 11:52AM
The first time I went to Roseville was in the late 70's.

The only thing there was Denios, a small handful of buildings, and a blinking yellow traffic light at one intersection.

It was distinctly different from Sacramento. Surrounding Roseville was...nothing but cattle farms. Denios had cattle auctions...
Date: February 20, 2021 11:55AM
Rick-o
Nice. I would love a house like that... maybe in the middle of 20 acres or so. grinning smiley
Seriously, I would want more space between houses, but that's just me.
I'm still looking for the house I'm going to die in, located in MI's U.P.

I hear ya... but even a half acre seems like a TON of yard work. I suppose 20 acres = 19.5 acres of unmanaged land and .5 for the house... You lost me a the U.P. no way. In the next 10 years well will get 0" of snow with maybe a few slightly humid days. Perfect. =)

Forgot to mention the new high school -- state of the art everything. The stadium looks better than many colleges. Its halfway done, they are building 2 more identical buildings next to these 2

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 20, 2021 12:03PM
One thing to check on is the HOA - cost and regulations - like whether you will be allowed to paint shutters and front door.
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 20, 2021 12:24PM
Congrats.

A year ago my dear wife told me she wanted a house in Birmingham. We visit our only child and her family pretty often and the guest room is feeling cramped. So, we're on the search. We'll probably build in a very large upscale neighborhood that's 5 miles from the kids. There's a production builder in there and there's a dozen house options and then a lot of (very expensive!) options within each house. Our other houses have been custom built so it's been interesting to hear, "No, sorry but we can't do that." about a couple of structural changes we would like. We'll likely have a glass door put between the den and master right after we accept the house and before we move in. It would cost the builder almost nothing to do it while building the house. But, I do understand that if they started doing any custom stuff it would never end and they'd never build out the neighborhood.

It's also an interesting shift from our current house where we have 2/3 acre. The lots they are putting in in Birmingham are like yours; 12-20 feet on each side; the front of garages are 25 feet from the sidewalk, although the backs are bigger. I've had some angst about it until I figured that 15 feet vs. 50 feet doesn't really make a difference in being able to keep your shades open--you really can't. And, as you mention, much less yard to take care of, particularly for a lock-and-leave place. I assume my wife will one day move there permanently when I go toes-up.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 20, 2021 12:28PM
Nice, but I'd be concerned that this...

would become this...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 20, 2021 12:45PM
Congrats!

=wr=
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 20, 2021 01:13PM
I don't hate the color. grinning smiley
Congrats!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: February 20, 2021 01:34PM
MrNoBody
Nice, but I'd be concerned that this..would become this...

yeah, us too. But we have already looked at the set future plans. No HOA.

About 300 feet out from the sidewalk is a fence, and that's where the new stuff is going. More homes like ours, with a big green belt (lots of that here) and a future annex for the State University. maybe 5000 enrollment by the time its all done... but again, most peeps are saying 10+ years... and in gradual steps.

Roseville is spectacularly planned. From 100% recycling with its own plant, to waste water, to some of the cheapest electricity in the state.

There is some traffic congestion they will need to work the kinks out, but *very* limited vs many other places Ive been.

And yeah Free, its grown. Ive lived in Sac for 30 years, but visited family here starting in the mid 70s before Sunrise mall existed. Used to ride motorcycles on the corner of sunrise and sunset all the time. Google earth history is cool for this. By early the early 2000s it was going crazy. Although HP had but a huge campus/multi building complex in the early mid-late 80s... I can see the buildings from here.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 20, 2021 01:58PM
A very nice looking house and a great view. Enjoy it!

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 20, 2021 02:10PM
Looks nice. And yes, those required "things" are a byproduct of where you chose to live. Out here in the sticks of TN, no one really cares what we do or don't do, but of course we still pay for it in other ways, other lifestyle choices.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 20, 2021 03:27PM
Congrats!

There is a development nearby that's a lot like that. Newly built, nice modern houses... but crammed together like sardines in a can for what appears to be no good reason. To maximize profit, I guess.
Date: February 20, 2021 03:36PM
AllGold
Congrats!

There is a development nearby that's a lot like that. Newly built, nice modern houses... but crammed together like sardines in a can for what appears to be no good reason. To maximize profit, I guess.

Mine isn't quite like that... but they do have a bunch of them going in here as well.

"Zero lot" homes is what they are referred to. Usually 1500-2100 SF, no yard at all. Lennar builds a ton of them. They also have something slightly larger, 1800-2500 SF with practically no yard, like our neighbor. maybe 10-15 feet. Small lots, more homes, blah.

Our lot is big enough for a OK sized pool, grass and even a couple of patio spaces... not including the side yard.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: February 20, 2021 04:18PM
Congratulations!!!
Accept No Substitutes!!
Call U-haul ASAP!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 20, 2021 11:42PM
....that's more than 6 feet away..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 21, 2021 05:57PM
Thankfully, you have sidewalks. Too many developments, and too few municipalities, built or required sidewalks for the last 70 years.

My lot is only 6000sf and it's one of the larger compared to the 5000sf lots next to us.

This level of new development on former farmland is completely foreign to us in the northeast.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020