advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tube socks. Why?
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 20, 2021 02:06PM
Time for a Saturday afternoon first-world question/rant.

I went out earlier today to start clearing snow. Getting dressed, I grabbed the thickest pair of socks I could find to wear with my boots and I remembered as soon as I unrolled them that they were tube socks. I then proceeded to rip a hole in one while struggling to get in on over my normal socks. Whoever thought tube socks were a good idea? Our feet form an angle where they meet the ankle. Regular socks know that and are made accordingly.

So in a nutshell, what's the point of tube socks? I know they were popular for a while, but I just don't get the attraction.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tube socks. Why?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 20, 2021 02:16PM
Tube socks don't have tight elastic tops so diabetics don't have to worry about blood flow to their extremities.

They are usually longer than regular socks, which 1. looks pretty good on athletes who wear athletic shorts and 2. looks very nice on women wearing short skirts.

...They're also cheaper to manufacture than "shaped socks" because there's no bend. Good tube socks will have reinforced seams both at the toes and where they would bend around the ankle, but those manufactured in Asian sweat-shops often lack this feature.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 20, 2021 02:51PM
Wurm,

That's because shaped socks come in sizes and, despite that, still don't necessarily fit well. This isn't an issue with tube socks. Slip tube sock on. Done. Just have to make sure the sock isn't too long.

Still, I prefer properly sized crew socks. The problem is finding them in the proper size. One company's size X is similar to another company's size Y with is similar to another company's size Z.

Robert
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 20, 2021 04:21PM
I just can't stand the bunched-up "heel" on top of my foot. I've only recently seen shaped socks in any size other than 6-12. I wear a size 12 shoe and I've never had an issue with the 6-12 range. Maybe that's just me. And I've certainly seen regular shaped socks in quite a variety of lengths, from below the ankle to nearly knee-high.

To Sarcany's point, I've no doubt they're cheaper to manufacture.

Now I'm dealing with some newer shaped crew socks that are doing that spin move around my foot where the heel ends up in the side anyway.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 20, 2021 04:32PM
I had no idea that tube socks had defenders.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 20, 2021 05:21PM
Wear them on the London Underground. Oh, yeah, yesterday was Friday...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 20, 2021 05:41PM
.....same with tube tops......they just rip....right open......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 20, 2021 09:29PM
A quick search and I learned these "tube" socks have no ankle. I don't think I've come across such socks yet. or if I did, I didn't notice. All the socks I have appear to have ankles.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 20, 2021 09:41PM
.....as one ages.....you will get....cankles.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 21, 2021 02:21AM
I don't think I've come across such socks yet. or if I did, I didn't notice.

If you'd come a cross an actual pair, you'd have noticed.

I don't care for the bunching of fabric at the 'front' of the ankle, either.

Sizing of socks is often problematic.

Unless I look at something a little more expensive, they tend to be available in three sizes–

something—something
10—13
X-Large

I just buy X-Large and be done with it, at least of socks that were probably made in Asia where sizing doesn't always translate well.

As far as aesthetics or sartorial splendor is concerned, I've always preferred the look of mid-calf socks with walking shorts rather rather than crew socks.

The latter always made me feel as though I was going out without trousers.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 21, 2021 05:50PM
I thought they’re for slipping on while you watch TV.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2021 05:51PM by Ammo.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 21, 2021 06:40PM
About the only time I have used tube socks was back when I was in school. The athletic dept. issued gear including tube socks to those using the facilities and took care of laundering them.

I think of them as an abomination, they bunch up on my instep and make wearing shoes uncomfortable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 57
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020