advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
DNA labs may not be giving you accurate ethnic ancestry? Are they "Science entertainment"?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 20, 2021 03:38PM

According to the video, there is fine print that shows you that services such as 23 and Me have a Percentage Of Certainty Feature. This seems to open up your DNA data for "entertainment" interpretation. On one service, a set of identical twins had variations of ethnicity in their tests.

21 minute video [www.youtube.com]
CBC Marketplace investigates the science and marketing behind popular DNA ancestry kits. Host Charlsie Agro and her identical twin sister Carly test five top brands. Find out why ancestry test kits are not as accurate as you might think. To read more: [www.cbc.ca]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 03:50PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DNA labs may not be giving you accurate ethnic ancestry? Are they "Science entertainment"?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 20, 2021 04:02PM
I'm convinced the whole thing is a sham - a way to gather valuable info to resell later.
Re: DNA labs may not be giving you accurate ethnic ancestry? Are they "Science entertainment"?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 20, 2021 04:18PM
Not really surprising. It's all based on the existing database, as they state.

The whole "ethnicity" thing is a construct of very recent history and loosely applied to our genetic makeup anyway. It's the haplotype group you belong to that matters (if it matters to you).
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 20, 2021 04:27PM
Basically the video is correct. There are some genetic markers that can be checked that have known illnesses associated with them, but the whole ethnic background part id built on several assumptions that can lead to inaccurate results.

There are DNA tests that go far enough on testing that they may be relatively accurate. But that level of test runs $1000+. Even that level of testing will have some uncertainty, the databases of markers they are comparing with are largely "self-identified" as to ethnicity of the tested subjects.
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 20, 2021 04:46PM
Not surprising when you factor in epigenetics and the resulting variation in methylation patterns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 04:47PM by Wags.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: February 20, 2021 06:50PM
Wags
Not surprising when you factor in epigenetics and the resulting variation in methylation patterns.

What would this have to do with ethnicity, particularly when averaged over several generations?
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 20, 2021 06:54PM
Yes, this is all entertainment.

Even those that get the actual DNA sampling and analyses correct, the overlay on human culture (which is in reality what they are doing) is almost always full of error.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 20, 2021 07:21PM
sekker
Yes, this is all entertainment.

Even those that get the actual DNA sampling and analyses correct, the overlay on human culture (which is in reality what they are doing) is almost always full of error.

This.

The basic problem is that race and ethnicity are human constructs, not biological truths. Some good discussion here: [www.wired.com]

... bottom line, we are all about 99.9% similar to one another on the DNA level. Penguins all look alike, yet have about double the genetic diversity we do.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 20, 2021 07:47PM
hal
I'm convinced the whole thing is a sham - a way to gather valuable info to resell later.

THIS
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 21, 2021 09:15AM
But what's valuable about bad data?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2021 09:16AM by Acer.
Date: February 21, 2021 09:18AM
testcase
hal

THIS

There is truth to this statement, even though I do not think that was the initial intent of these companies.

I've been given home test kits for each of the major companies over the years due to my professional and personal interests in genetics.

I've read each and every release form for each test, there are none I would sign. And so those tests have gone to waste.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 21, 2021 10:09AM
Acer
But what's valuable about bad data?

Nothing was said about the DNA data itself being bad, just the comparisons and methodology used to create these ethnic ancestry reports.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 21, 2021 10:35AM
sekker
testcase
hal

THIS

There is truth to this statement, even though I do not think that was the initial intent of these companies.

I'm not so convinced. A couple of years ago, 23andme sold its data to GSK, and it's probably no coincidence that its CEO was married to Google's CEO. Probably because of the money troubles from corona, 23andme is now merging with one of Branson's companies. No question this is being done in order to profit off the folks' data.

[www.theverge.com]
[finance.yahoo.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: February 22, 2021 11:28AM
PeterB
sekker
testcase
hal

THIS

I'm not so convinced. A couple of years ago, 23andme sold its data to GSK, and it's probably no coincidence that its CEO was married to Google's CEO. Probably because of the money troubles from corona, 23andme is now merging with one of Branson's companies. No question this is being done in order to profit off the folks' data.

[www.theverge.com]
[finance.yahoo.com]

That’s great current info.

23andme started with the goal of being a health company. But we are far more than our DNA, and the science has changed since they started.

They’ve moved to selling private info, which I do not think was the original plan but it’s clearly where the $$ is now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020