advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I feel lousy (and I'm pretty sure it's not Rona)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 21, 2021 01:36AM
I got tested Friday afternoon and got the negative results Saturday afternoon.

I felt fine until Saturday night except I've had a cough for a few days. Now I've added a fever. I knew it was a fever because I'm freezing my ass off under the same conditions as always. A temperature check confirmed it.

It's weird to get sick when I wear a mask 100% of the time outside of the house or car.

I suspect it is the beginning of either bronchitis or pneumonia. I've had some problems with reflux lately and all too often I'm aspirating some of it. I think with my bronchi and lungs getting beat up from the acid, that some opportunistic bacteria has taken over. A few years ago I had pneumonia and in retrospect I think that is also what happened then.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I feel lousy (and I'm pretty sure it's not Rona)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 21, 2021 01:38AM
Do you have a finger tip oxymeter available?
Date: February 21, 2021 01:39AM
No, I don't.

Date: February 21, 2021 01:48AM
I'd get one ASAP - it can give you a 1-3 day jump if something serious is heading your way. I've been distributing them to family members since last March.

PS: I'm not a doctor or in the medical community -just a shlob with age and underlying conditions, passing along what I've picked up during the last year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2021 01:59AM by RgrF.
Posted by: markmedic
Date: February 21, 2021 05:22AM
Cough and fever is probably covid-19. Any visitors without a mask? Anyone else visit that you don't see 100% of the time. Was your test a rapid test or a PCR test? The timing of the test is critical. Everyone is different when they shed virus for the test. A test when you feel fine is one of the tricksy parts. Treat it like covid and take your omeprazole for heartburn. Did you get any vaccine yet?

Quarantine yourself.
Get a pulse ox.

Good luck
Posted by: DP
Date: February 21, 2021 07:16AM
Cough and fever is probably covid-19

Not necessarily! Yes, treat it as such, but there are a lot of diseases with these symptoms. Let's not jump to automatic conclusions...

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 21, 2021 07:46AM
You have a respiratory infection. Quarantine! Sort of unusual, as you state, because you mask. Maybe someone in your household has not been masking as consistently as you have been.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2021 07:47AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 21, 2021 08:08AM
Looks like the price of a pulse oximeter on Amazon is around $19 and they are in stock. I paid twice that about 9 months ago. Cheap peace of mind in my opinion. Just use it while you are walking around, not sleeping in bed - because blood needs to be actively flowing to your fingers.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 21, 2021 08:19AM
Plenty of non-COVID infectious disease still in the world. Take care of yourself, COVID PCR tests are very sensitive and tend to be false positives than false negatives.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 21, 2021 08:31AM
I had a fever and a wicked sinus headache and pressure as well as the usual reflux stuff back a couple of weeks ago. Got tested about a week later and it was negative. Sinus doc thought it was another type of virus.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 21, 2021 10:06AM
Could be COVID, could be something else. Being consistent with masking yourself lowers, but does not eliminate the chance of getting either. Masks on everyone around that you get in contact with is just as important, if not more important, for avoiding COVID.

As for the tests, everyone is different. Some will test positive within a few days of being exposed to the coronavirus, with or without symptoms. Others will take much longer. As an example, on one of the social media sites connected with the university I used to work at, one student was complaining about being quarantined because he had been exposed. But he kept testing negative for 3 tests before finally testing positive after a week.
Date: February 21, 2021 10:22AM
I'm back from the urgent care and the pharmacy. The doctor, an actual M.D., BTW, prescribed doxycycline, mostly at my urging because I've been in this situation before with both bronchitis and pneumonia and I wanted to get in front of it and not spend six weeks coughing up a lung. He did not suspect Covid but I will probably get tested again in a day or so.

I will need to follow up with my primary care doctor, with whom I'm overdue for an appointment anyway. It's time to get the reflux thing under control.

Posted by: robfilms
Date: February 21, 2021 10:47AM
AllGold-

Feel better.

Plenty of folks are rooting for you.

Head up.

Stay strong.

Get well.

Rob
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 21, 2021 11:29AM
Get well soon, Al!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: February 21, 2021 07:52PM
Thanks, guys.

My second Covid test in three days is in the books. This one was by far the most uncomfortable.

This should completely rule out Covid--or not.

I still can't function at all without something to reduce fever.

Date: February 22, 2021 12:04AM
Damn, this is getting bad. I backed off the aspirin/acetaminophen/ibuprofen for a while and my temperature hit 102.6F. eek2 smiley

Date: February 22, 2021 08:38AM
You received some bad information up there from sekker.

The reported rate of false negatives is 20%. However, the range of false negatives is from 0% to 30%, depending on the study and when in the course of infection the test is performed. Most of the flu's are in such a low state and with masks that it is not likely to be flu. If you are truly isolating and masking the most likely culprit if it is a virus is Covid-19. You should quarantine for 14 days from onset of symptoms to prevent giving it to other people. If you got a chest x-ray at some point you could pinpoint it to a corona most likely or a pneumonia.

The rest of the advice is good. Good luck and feel better.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: February 22, 2021 05:24PM
Get an adjustable bed. It has helped to bring my reflux to ZERO.

If I lay down flat, then it is reflux city. It doesn't matter what I eat, something always gives me reflux. And not medicine I've gotten from my Doctor does a damn thing. So if I elevate my bed when I sleep, I don't have it. It's hard to sleep on my back as I was always a side sleeper....

I'd definitely get in touch with your doc and I hope you get well soon.

Bryan
Date: February 22, 2021 06:59PM
A steep angled pillow wedge should achieve the same result.
Date: February 22, 2021 08:30PM
RgrF
A steep angled pillow wedge should achieve the same result.

Thr trouble with those is the angle starts too abruptly, so it's easy to get weird pains from being in that position overnight.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 22, 2021 10:15PM
markmedic
You received some bad information up there from sekker.

The reported rate of false negatives is 20%. However, the range of false negatives is from 0% to 30%, depending on the study and when in the course of infection the test is performed. Most of the flu's are in such a low state and with masks that it is not likely to be flu. If you are truly isolating and masking the most likely culprit if it is a virus is Covid-19. You should quarantine for 14 days from onset of symptoms to prevent giving it to other people. If you got a chest x-ray at some point you could pinpoint it to a corona most likely or a pneumonia.

The rest of the advice is good. Good luck and feel better.

On the contrary, the PCR tests used in most places are set to error up to 1000 x higher sensitivity than needed to identify someone who has the virus and is likely infectious. The false error rates in most places are due to sampling issues or improper handling of the sample post collection.

I think you were thinking of the rapid test, where the false negative rates can be at the numbers you list. That’s the system used in the White House.
Date: February 22, 2021 10:46PM
Not good! The second test was positive.

Date: February 22, 2021 11:25PM
Was it a pcr test?
Date: February 23, 2021 04:33AM
Feel better. Good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020