advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you pay attention to air quality alerts?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 21, 2021 09:42AM
I noticed a weather warning in Dark Sky. It was regarding air quality which is surprising considering we generally don't worry about such things here. When I took a closer look it was true that it was best we avoid spending time outdoors, particularly doing heavy exercise. This whole thing is rather new for me. I suspect days like this - where some arrangement of weather is trapping pollutants near the ground - has happened before, we've just been unaware.

Do air quality reading affect your actions? If so, how? If not, why not?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you pay attention to air quality alerts?
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: February 21, 2021 09:58AM
I keep an eye on it during the summer months, especially high ozone levels. I can feel it in my lungs when I'm riding my bike. I'll ride during the day when the warnings are in the yellow. When they are in the red, I'll do my rides early in the morning or later in the evening.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 21, 2021 10:15AM
Not really, but I'm rural.

Yesterday the Weather app said our air quality was Moderate. I clicked the link and the vendor Apple uses (BreezeMeter) always shows particulates as being the #! issue. Dust, smoke from wood fires ... don't ask me how they know.

Sulfur Dioxide is rated lowest, but my case I have my doubts since I sit near a ventless propane heater, which literally SMELLS like sulfur sometimes.

And today we've improved to Good, for whatever reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2021 10:20AM by deckeda.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 21, 2021 10:28AM
As an asthmatic, yes; very much so. Smog-type alerts don't happen where I currently live (Central AR) but I do still take note when (summertime) there's an alert re/ozone.

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 21, 2021 10:53AM
don't fart (too much) inside the house and you're fine
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 21, 2021 11:06AM
Ozone is a big problem in parts of the West:

[www.aspentimes.com]

[www.ksl.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 21, 2021 11:21AM
Yes, the local air quality district posts alerts on the local TV news when there is stagnant air trapping fireplace emissions in nearby cities. It's partly a remnant of monitoring air pollution from cars, but it was very helpful for monitoring when smoke came in from extensive wildfires. You can zoom the map out and find your local region.
https: //aqicn.org/station/usa/washington/lacey/college-st#/z/8.7

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 21, 2021 11:33AM
As someone how takes Claritin in the spring and summer months, I pay attention to pollen counts. Our rural neighborhood has a lot of wooded areas. I don't worry about them, I just know I need to use the meds if I'm going to mow the lawn or do other outdoor things. Generally, it's not much of an issue in my situation.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 21, 2021 11:37AM
Yes.

We can have pretty bad smog in this region from traffic and coal-burning power plants.

Better in recent years, and almost undetectable last year, but we've also had a lot of heat-waves in the last decade which worsened the problem for the duration.

Posted by: numbered
Date: February 21, 2021 12:11PM
The Bay Area has an active program called Spare the Air for times, winter and summer, where an inversion layer forms and air quality gets bad. Notification goes out in email and the local media, and there are fines for burning anything. Even charcoal.

Mostly people comply without a problem.

When it is really bad (eg, the last couple of years of wildfire smoke) there were also pleas to not drive. But there were no sanctions.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 21, 2021 12:36PM
No.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 21, 2021 12:46PM
Since last summer's days of horrible wild fire smoke, I keep a regular watch on it. I start feeling effects at 150 or so - I never really noticed it before I started watching. I would just write it off as a bad day.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 21, 2021 06:50PM
Only during wildfire season.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020