advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
bandwidth usage
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 22, 2021 08:42AM
My mom lives in the middle of nowhere and only recently (within the last couple of years) got cable internet access. Obviously she's not paying for a lot of bandwidth but she finally has high speed access. Of course its capped so she is super paranoid about using the internet. Therefore she is totally against even trying things like Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime etc. Is there any way to calculate how much bandwidth she would use per hour of watching something like that? I don't think she could get a trial, watch what she wants for a day, then log into her account and see her usage. This is some podunk cable operator and they just don't have that "feature". So she's kind of all in until she gets her bill and she doesn't want to be surprised when it comes and she's WAY over her limit. So she just doesn't do it.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: bandwidth usage
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 22, 2021 08:45AM
A decent router will show data flow.
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 22, 2021 09:13AM
“ Low-Quality Streaming: If you are streaming on a low quality i.e 240p or 320p, you will consume approximately 300 MB in an hour. No one likes to stream in low quality. However, it saves you a lot of data.

Standard-Quality Streaming: If you are streaming in a standard 480p quality, you will consume 700 MB data in an hour that amounts to 0.7 GB.

High-Definition Streaming: All of us like to stream our favorite movies and TV shows in a high-definition. HD streaming is between 720p to 2K. If you are streaming in HD, you will consume 0.9 GB in an hour for 720p, 1.5 GB for 1080p, and around 3 GB for 2K video.

Ultra-HD Streaming: This is the finest video quality standard yet. With UHD, you get to watch videos in 4K and higher. However, this kind of streaming leaves a great dent on your monthly data. It takes more than 7 GB data per hour to stream in 4K. “

[www.ilounge.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 22, 2021 09:20AM
What kind of cap we talking about?

(And what's with a cap on wired internet? They act like they have to haul it in buckets. It should be high enough that little old ladies can watch their (internet equivalent) of soaps without fear.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 09:20AM by Acer.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 22, 2021 10:52AM
Acer
What kind of cap we talking about?

Understanding the current usage and limits from a few previous bills would be very helpful. Is it really a low limit to be concerned with? My Comcast has a cap, but it's somewhere around 1TB, and they give you one or two free "warning" months if you exceed it before they charge you. I never come anywhere close to the cap even with several hours of daily Zoom meetings, they really seem to be focusing it as a way to curb abuse rather than a revenue source.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 22, 2021 10:54AM
[www.cnet.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: February 22, 2021 11:08AM
Yuckus!

She just told me her cap is 50gb. 50! What a crock.

Date: February 22, 2021 11:14AM
bazookaman
Yuckus!

She just told me her cap is 50gb. 50! What a crock.

What do they charge her for that? Do they have other plans? StarLink might be a cost effective alternative.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 22, 2021 11:15AM
50GB? thats shameful.

We keep getting close... we were at 75% on the 20th and got a little note...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 22, 2021 01:57PM
Ha. I just looked up Starlink...
Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.

And based on where she lives, it will probably be several years....somehow.

I just looked up her provider and I think she was mistaken. I think she has 500gb. So not quite as shameful. But still sucky.

Posted by: clay
Date: February 22, 2021 02:09PM
500gb is more than enough for your mom to watch all the video and do whatever she wants. Probably unless she's watching 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week 4k video from Netflix (and she may not have a fast enough pipe to do that anyway) or downloading Linux ISO's and torrenting all day on multiple devices. Tell her to do whatever she wants and you'll pay any overage costs. (hint -- there won't ever be any).
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 22, 2021 02:35PM
Clay, it was *50* not 500 GB.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 22, 2021 02:37PM
The UnDoug
Clay, it was *50* not 500 GB.

So which is it? 100% agree that if its 500 GB shes got nothing to worry about.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 22, 2021 03:11PM
look at bazookaman's post just before mine.

bazookaman
I just looked up her provider and I think she was mistaken. I think she has 500gb. So not quite as shameful. But still sucky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 03:12PM by clay.
Date: February 22, 2021 03:51PM
It's Schrödinger's bandwidth. Until I hear from my mom, it could be 50 or 500gb.

Posted by: rgG
Date: February 22, 2021 06:21PM
Can you call/email/chat her provider?
My mom is TERRIBLE with numbers, so I usually don’t trust any number she gives me. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 22, 2021 11:06PM
She should be able to log into her account and see total data transfer.
Date: February 23, 2021 09:02AM
Forrest
She should be able to log into her account and see total data transfer.

Haha. You're confusing her internet provider with one that is NOT located in Bumblefuckville, NC.

Date: February 23, 2021 01:49PM
bazookaman
Haha. You're confusing her internet provider with one that is NOT located in Bumblefuckville, NC.

Although Google Maps can't seem to locate it, I did find a post of yours from 2007 mentioning that she lived there then too. Also related to the poor internet options in Bumblefuckville.

bazookaman
LOL! So do I. Unfortunately my mom lives in Bumblefuckville, NC where cable and DSL do not reach.

[forums.macresource.com]
Date: February 23, 2021 02:24PM
GGD
bazookaman

Although Google Maps can't seem to locate it, I did find a post of yours from 2007 mentioning that she lived there then too. Also related to the poor internet options in Bumblefuckville.

bazookaman
LOL! So do I. Unfortunately my mom lives in Bumblefuckville, NC where cable and DSL do not reach.

[forums.macresource.com]

Yep. Still there. She graduated from dialup (finally) to using her Verizon data plan for high speed tethering (back when Verizon frowned on that sort of thing). Then finally they brought broadband service to her area. Such as it is. But I have confirmed that she has a 500gb cap. So she is going to trial Netflix or Hulu or Amazon and see how it goes. I told her worst case is she calls today to get a number, then watches whatever for a week, then calls next Tuesday to get another number to compare. Then she can extrapolate how much she is using and remain under that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020