advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Finder reverts to closed
Posted by: clyde
Date: February 22, 2021 09:53PM
To a non-computer guy, the Finder resembles a book's Table of Contents.

Usually I open the Finder so I can access various folders. After doing that I close the Finder. When I next want the Finder it is the same condition as I left it.

Lately it has been closing to its basic condition—meaning that I have to start from the beginning to find something.

Is this because some setting is out of kilter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 09:54PM by clyde.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Finder reverts to closed
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 22, 2021 10:22PM
clyde
To a non-computer guy, the Finder resembles a book's Table of Contents.

Usually I open the Finder so I can access various folders. After doing that I close the Finder. When I next want the Finder it is the same condition as I left it.

Lately it has been closing to its basic condition—meaning that I have to start from the beginning to find something.

Is this because some setting is out of kilter?

I think you're talking about Finder windows, not the Finder.

The Finder is a program that presents windows displaying an abstract graphical representation of the data present on your drive. Ordinarily, a Mac user would not "close the Finder." It loads when you log in and continues to run even when you close your Finder windows and run other programs.

In order to figure out what's going on with your Finder windows, it would be helpful to know what method you use to open a new Finder window.

Some examples: You could click on the Finder icon in the Dock to open a new window. You could double-click on the "Macintosh HD" icon on your Desktop (if it's present there) to open a new window. You could click on your Desktop to switch to the Finder from another program and then tap the Command+N keys to open a new window.

So, what method are you using to open a new Finder window?

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 23, 2021 01:46AM
clyde
Usually I open the Finder so I can access various folders…I have to start from the beginning to find something.

You seem to be confusing the Finder with finding things on your computer.

The Finder:
[support.apple.com]
[www.imore.com]

Finding Things:
[support.apple.com]
[www.imore.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 23, 2021 05:54AM
I think you want the new finder window to open in your home folder, not at the hard drive level.

Open Finder, go to Finder -> Preferences ... and see the General Tab and try recent or you Home Folder, see which one you like,
Posted by: clyde
Date: February 23, 2021 08:26AM
Sarcany: I open a new Finder window by double-clicking! (DC) on the Mac HD icon, which is on the desktop.

Article Accelerator: “confusing the Finder with finding things on your computer“!

space-time: Did as you said. Finder—>Preferences was set to Recents. Then double clicked on Mac HD. HD contents were at folder level. I opened one folder to display its contents, then closed the Mac HD display. When I reopened the Mac HD, its contents were at folder level, not as it was before with one folder’s contents displayed.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 23, 2021 09:07AM
When you open a Finder window, it will open according to the preference set in Finder/Preferences/General. Closing a Finder window via red dot or Cmd W will result in a new window opening to that same preference next time.

Closing the Finder window via the Yellow dot is "minimizing" the window. Open the Finder window after a minimize action should result in the window being in the same state as when minimized.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: February 23, 2021 03:10PM
modelamac
When you open a Finder window, it will open according to the preference set in Finder/Preferences/General...

The exception to this rule is when you click on "Macintosh HD" on your Desktop. Opening a Finder window by double-clicking "Macintosh HD" will open a new window showing the root-level of your boot volume (Applications/Library/System/Users).

If you want to open a Finder window to the place you have set in the Finder preferences, click the Finder's icon in your Dock or use Command+N while in the Finder.

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 23, 2021 08:26PM
The exception to this rule is when you click on "Macintosh HD" on your Desktop.

I guess also clicking any shortcut or folder you have on the desktop also causes that "exception".
Date: February 24, 2021 08:44PM
space-time
The exception to this rule is when you click on "Macintosh HD" on your Desktop.

I guess also clicking any shortcut or folder you have on the desktop also causes that "exception".

No. It's not really a rule at all. I wasn't clear in my response.

Scratch that whole thing.

If you just open a new window in the Finder, it will show the contents of the folder that you specified in the Finder preferences, or it will show "recents" if you opted to see that instead. You can open a new window like this by clicking the Finder icon in the Dock or typing Command+N when the Finder is the active application.

If you double-click on a folder-icon to open a new window in the Finder, that opens a window displaying the contents of the directory that the folder represents.

The Macintosh HD drive icon represents a folder at the root of your boot volume. So, in the same fashion as double-clicking a folder-icon, when you open a new window from Macintosh HD by double-clicking its icon, you are opening a window showing the contents of the root folder of the volume.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Diana , jh
Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020