advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If I wanted a good noise canceling headphone, but was too cheap to by the Bose QC2......
Posted by: JPK
Date: March 06, 2007 11:00AM
Which would you recommend.

I was checking out some on Amazon, and I am tending toward the Sony MDR-NC50, The Philips SHN9500/37 or the Panasonic rphc300. These are in the $100 - $150 range, which is about what I am looking to spend.

Do any of you have any experience with these? Do you have any other recommendations.

I am looking for an over the ear type headphone.

Thanks,
JPK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 11:08AM by JPK.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If I wanted a good noise canceling headphone, but was too cheap to by the Bose QC2......
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 06, 2007 11:23AM
JPK,

I just bought, tried and returned the following model frokm Philips:

[www.bestbuy.com]

The sound quality was mediocre, they didn't remove enough of the noise and the AAA battery holder/power switch was too cumbersome. I connected it to my shorts and it kept coming off while jobbing on a treadmill and doing a slew of aerobic activities during cardio boxing (jumping jack, shuffling, squat thrusts, etc.).

The ear bud version of the Philips might prove better because the on/off/battery pack is smaller and doesn't seem to require clipping to clothing.

After my experience with the other Philips model, I'm inclined to go with a different brand. I have an old pair of regular Sony "behind the neck" headphones which are fantastic. So, I'm inclined to try a pair of noise cancelling Sony models that are behind the neck, which are my preferred style of headphones.

Bear in mind, this may be a you get what you pay for kind of situation, too.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 11:24AM by Robert M.
Re: If I wanted a good noise canceling headphone, but was too cheap to by the Bose QC2......
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: March 06, 2007 11:30AM
In my experience, there's no substitute for the Bose. I've not used the newer, smaller ones, but I have borrowed a pair of the older ones for a few flights. Amazing, simply amazing. Maybe watch used prices on eBay? There have been a couple that closed under $300.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 11:31AM by blusubaru.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 06, 2007 12:01PM
Bose full-on systems are a bit of a bust. but their headphones and clock radio type stuff are tough to beat. If you're going to forego the the QC's, you're really better off trying the competition before you buy to make sure you get what you really want, rather than relying strictly on a recommendation..., everyone's heads and ears are different enough to justify doing so.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Silencio
Date: March 06, 2007 12:08PM
I have a set of Sennheiser PXC-250s I use when I travel. Not quite as nice as the Bose, but they do a very good job of killing the ambient noise on a plane and they're a heckuva lot cheaper. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and I believe Sennheiser has since come up with a newer model.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: March 06, 2007 12:08PM
Sharper Image has some nice, quality ones for around $50 - $90.

I've had one of their's for a year and a half now, and it is great. I can get the model later...but it was around $80 at the time.

Posted by: Bixby
Date: March 06, 2007 12:14PM
Why not get some closed cans and avoid the electronics? For the money they'll offer better sound. And pretty much the same amount of isolation, I believe.

In your price range I'd go for the Sennheiser HD-280Pro if you want circumaural. J&R has them for $80. Very nice sounding cans.

[www.headphone.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 06, 2007 12:19PM
Silencio
I have a set of Sennheiser PXC-250s I use when I travel. Not quite as nice as the Bose, but they do a very good job of killing the ambient noise on a plane and they're a heckuva lot cheaper. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and I believe Sennheiser has since come up with a newer model.

Same here, great headphones. I've used an older version of the bose - the senn's have less noticeable white noise.

Bixby
Why not get some closed cans and avoid the electronics? For the money they'll offer better sound. And pretty much the same amount of isolation, I believe.

In your price range I'd go for the Sennheiser HD-280Pro if you want circumaural. J&R has them for $80. Very nice sounding cans.

[www.headphone.com]

They'll give less isolation. Most (all?) noise canceling headphones are closed. But when you get just regular closed headphones, it's not uncommon for background noises (especially those with extreme vibration like a plane) to be amplified/distorted rather than blocked.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 06, 2007 01:22PM
Try some in ear monitors--something that blocks the sound, rather than cancelling. The Sennheiser CX-300 is supposed to be pretty nice.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: March 06, 2007 03:35PM
Ugh. Sharper Image I would stay away from. Have yet to have a good experience with their audio equipment.

I agree with the above, in that there is no real substitute for Bose. You might want to try their Triport headset. Granted, it's not noise canceling, but it does enclose the ear and block outside noise. I have found them to have great sound quality and the noise reduction is darn good! If you live near a Bose store, you can buy some and if you don't like them, return them for a full refund 30 days no questions.
Posted by: karsen
Date: March 06, 2007 06:11PM
I second the HD-280 Pros. I bought a pair a couple years ago to wear while I'm working and my daughter is running around screaming and singing and dancing. The isolation is fantastic. I can listen to music at a very low level and have next to no outside sound interference. In fact, sometimes I wear them with no music playing just to have quiet to concentrate. They sound very good for the money. Not as good as Grado's but they didn't cost as much either.

I've use the Bose at the Apple Store in the mall, I prefer my HD-280s any day. With Bose you pay for their marketing. Why Bose sucks: [www.intellexual.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 06:12PM by karsen.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: March 07, 2007 07:14AM
Sorry to hear about your non-good experience with Sharper Image 'audio equipment'.

Some stuff is quality...much is fluff.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 07, 2007 09:29AM
Hi everyone,

Just a followup... It occurred to me that I was looking for the wrong product. I do not want noise-cancelling headphones. I want models that isolate my ears from outside noise. After some research, I decided to try the following model from Comply:

[www.hearingcomponents.com]

They aren't cheap but based on what I read and saw, I felt it was worth giving them a try. The idea isn't to cancel the noise with more noise but to simply not let the outside noise get into my ears in the first place. In theory, these will do that and allow me to reduce the volume while listening to my own music while training at the gym.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020